Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendation needed: Electrician for home charger install in Tacoma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whomever you pick, here are two important factors for you to consider:

1. Assuming you are planning to run a 60A circuit (so you can charge at 48A) make sure the correct wire is used. It is not at all uncommon for electricians to run wire rated at 55-amps (#6 Romex, for example). This is fine if someone were using something like a welder, but your car will pull 48A for a long time and thus must comply with the 80% rule e.g. 55A * 80% = 44A, which is the maximum allowed - so you will need to set the WC to 50A and not 60A. If True 60A wire is used, then you are fine.
  2. The other is the WC only requires 2-conductor wire (Hot-Hot-Ground). Some people feel the need to future proof and run 3-conductor wire so they can support other solutions. Personally, I think this a waste of money as every 240V EV charger I can think of only needs 2-condutor. But wiring is usually the expensive part, so consider.
Just points to ponder.

Whomever you pick, here are two important factors for you to consider:

1. Assuming you are planning to run a 60A circuit (so you can charge at 48A) make sure the correct wire is used. It is not at all uncommon for electricians to run wire rated at 55-amps (#6 Romex, for example). This is fine if someone were using something like a welder, but your car will pull 48A for a long time and thus must comply with the 80% rule e.g. 55A * 80% = 44A, which is the maximum allowed - so you will need to set the WC to 50A and not 60A. If True 60A wire is used, then you are fine.
  2. The other is the WC only requires 2-conductor wire (Hot-Hot-Ground). Some people feel the need to future proof and run 3-conductor wire so they can support other solutions. Personally, I think this a waste of money as every 240V EV charger I can think of only needs 2-condutor. But wiring is usually the expensive part, so consider.
Just points to ponder.
One reason to run a neutral wire, but not use it for the Tesla HPWC, is in case you decide to move at some future date and take the charger with you. That way you can re-terminate the wiring with a NEMA 14-50 outlet and then the next resident can use that for EV charging no matter what the vehicle brand.

I have that arrangement with my HPWC as I expect to downsize my home in a few more years.

Reactions: DSolie
can re-terminate the wiring with a NEMA 14-50 outlet

This point is made by a lot of people, however, IMHO it is not worth spending money on. What is important to a potential EV owner is having a 240V circuit and, as I noted previously all the 240V connectors, whether Tesla and non-Tesla, only require a 2-conductor wire. Yes a lot of them have 14-50 plugs, but they are also available as hardwired. If the 3-conductor option is a small addition cost then I would go for it, otherwise I would pass on it. It will not stop the sale of your home.

BTW, you can always install a 6-50 outlet (2-conductor) which is the other 240V plug option.

This is the time to gather input and decide what you want!