Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommendations for mechanic / tire shop in Raleigh/Durham, NC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recommendations for a good place to get tires and an alignment done in Raleigh / Durham?

My Roadster needs new rear tires and Tesla won't install the AD08s, only AD07s, and they want $299 each. I also need to get an NC-state inspection for the Roadster. What kind of inspection do they even do, without having to do emissions?

My other car (Dodge Neon SRT-4) also needs an alignment, oil change, inspection, etc. My local shop wouldn't do the alignment because it has coilover suspension and I wanted the recommended Mopar alignment settings, rather than the stock alignment settings.

Thanks!

As far as the inspection, NC does safety only on Electric vehicles. The $13.60 cheaper inspection where they just look at the essential safety items. I can't help you with who to take it to down there unfortunately as the friends I have that work on them down there all work for dealers

As far as the inspection, NC does safety only on Electric vehicles. The $13.60 cheaper inspection where they just look at the essential safety items. I can't help you with who to take it to down there unfortunately as the friends I have that work on them down there all work for dealers
I am not sure what you are talking about.
My vehicle tax bill came in and clearly stated that inspection was not needed. We paid the taxes and vehicle registration and did no safety inspections on the car.

Can you elaborate on the need for a safety inspection, please?

Not being from North Carolina so not sure if the following is still valid.

Newly Exempted Vehicles

The NC General Assembly has expanded the list of vehicles exempted from emissions inspection, effective June 15, 2011. These vehicles are still subject to a NC safety inspection.

The General Assembly added the definition of a plug-in electric-drive vehicle. A "plug-in electric-drive vehicle" is defined (N.C. General Statutes 20-4.01 (28a) ) as a plug-in four-wheeled motor vehicle that is made by a manufacturer, has not been modified from original manufacturer specifications, is not rated more than 8,500 pounds unloaded gross vehicle weight, has a maximum speed capability of at least 65 miles per hour and draws electricity from a battery source that has all of the following characteristics:
  1. A capacity of not less than four kilowatt hours.
  2. Capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity.
  3. Acquired by the taxpayer on or after October 1, 2010.

Examples of plug-in electric-drive vehicles include but are not limited to:
  • Nissan LEAF
  • Ford Focus EV
  • Mitsubishi i-MiEV
  • Tesla Model S

Additional information on makes and models of electric vehicles can be found here .

Additionally, plug-in electric vehicles that can operate solely on electric power and are capable of recharging the battery from an on-board generation source and an off-board electricity source are also exempt from emissions testing requirements. Vehicles include but are not limited to:
  • Chevrolet Volt
  • Fisker Karma
  • Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid

Non-plug-in hybrid vehicles such as the Toyota Prius, Ford Focus Hybrid, and Toyota Camry Hybrid are subject to safety and emissions inspections in North Carolina.

Additional information on makes and models of non-plug-in hybrid vehicles can be found at here .
NCDENR - Division of Air Quality - Technical Services - Motor Vehicles - Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) Program