Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended PPF installer in So Cal? (West side)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone!

We're brand new to and officially part the TMC community and would love the opportunity to assist with any technical questions about paint protection film, window tint, paint correction, ceramic coatings, and BlackVue cameras! We've been in the industry since 2011 and we've been finding that many of our Tesla clients are ONLY looking for the best products for their vehicle! We have tons of experience and information that we'd be more than happy to share with the rest of you!
Hello everyone!

We're brand new to and officially part the TMC community and would love the opportunity to assist with any technical questions about paint protection film, window tint, paint correction, ceramic coatings, and BlackVue cameras! We've been in the industry since 2011 and we've been finding that many of our Tesla clients are ONLY looking for the best products for their vehicle! We have tons of experience and information that we'd be more than happy to share with the rest of you!

There are a couple of group buy offers going on. Can you provide a competitive offering?

Hello everyone!

I have a question. I was originally going to go with red and PPF the full front of the car. But with the recent increases in paint option prices, I've been considering just getting the base black and PPF the entire car, it'd only be like $1000 more. I know black is the hardest color to care for and maintain, and under normal circumstances, I would never consider it. However, if I paint enhance/correct and then PPF the entire black car, will it be pretty easy to keep looking nice? I hear even carefully hand washing a black car can introduce visible swirl marks, but with the self-healing properties of PPF, will this not be an issue?

Another question I had... a lot of people put ceramic coatings on top of PPF, but I've read swirl marks can still be introduced into ceramic coatings. So isn't it a bit counterintuitive to put it on top of a PFF that can self-heal small scratches?

I have a question. I was originally going to go with red and PPF the full front of the car. But with the recent increases in paint option prices, I've been considering just getting the base black and PPF the entire car, it'd only be like $1000 more. I know black is the hardest color to care for and maintain, and under normal circumstances, I would never consider it. However, if I paint enhance/correct and then PPF the entire black car, will it be pretty easy to keep looking nice? I hear even carefully hand washing a black car can introduce visible swirl marks, but with the self-healing properties of PPF, will this not be an issue?

Another question I had... a lot of people put ceramic coatings on top of PPF, but I've read swirl marks can still be introduced into ceramic coatings. So isn't it a bit counterintuitive to put it on top of a PFF that can self-heal small scratches?

Not sure if I understood you correctly but the cost difference between a full car PPF vs a bumper or full frontal is definitely more than $1k. I'd double check my prices or investigate the installer a little more. I've been looking into PPF for months and the price difference between the two is always a couple grand.

Depending on the state of the paint, it's recommended to do a paint correction under the PPF. But its not 100% necessary. Depends on each person and what sort of imperfections they're willing to look at. Just remember, whatever swirl marks are on the vehicle prior to PPF installation, are going to always be there. Prior to my model 3 and I owned a black vehicle and keeping swirl marks is definitely a pain in the ass. And that's that I use the two bucket method with a foam cannon and always washed in straight lines. The self healing properties of the PPF has more to do with scratches in the film, not so much swirl marks.

Swirl marks can definitely be introduced into ceramic coating. Remember that PPF and ceramic have two totally different uses. The PPF is for rock chips and such while a ceramic coating is to make the car surface more hydrophobic. That's why coatings are applied over the PPF.

Hopefully this helps!

Not sure if I understood you correctly but the cost difference between a full car PPF vs a bumper or full frontal is definitely more than $1k. I'd double check my prices or investigate the installer a little more. I've been looking into PPF for months and the price difference between the two is always a couple grand.

Depending on the state of the paint, it's recommended to do a paint correction under the PPF. But its not 100% necessary. Depends on each person and what sort of imperfections they're willing to look at. Just remember, whatever swirl marks are on the vehicle prior to PPF installation, are going to always be there. Prior to my model 3 and I owned a black vehicle and keeping swirl marks is definitely a pain in the ass. And that's that I use the two bucket method with a foam cannon and always washed in straight lines. The self healing properties of the PPF has more to do with scratches in the film, not so much swirl marks.

Swirl marks can definitely be introduced into ceramic coating. Remember that PPF and ceramic have two totally different uses. The PPF is for rock chips and such while a ceramic coating is to make the car surface more hydrophobic. That's why coatings are applied over the PPF.

Hopefully this helps!
You didn't understand me correctly... I was comparing a red ($2000 upcharge) with just front end PPF (assuming $1500) totals $3500... vs base black (no upcharge) with full coverage PPF ($4500). So there's a $1000 difference. I hate that Tesla charges so much for paint options.

I agree with you that with the new paint pricing, doing "free" black with full PPF for net $1K more is appealing. Black cars are very tough to keep looking nice and avoiding swirls, etc. PPF would solve the swirls issue for sure and make it far easier to clean (due to less worrying about swirls/scratches in your cleaning regimen). You would still have to love black in order to spend an extra $1K and it would still get dirty easily as all black cars do- they dont hide dirt well. But, if you like black, PPF is the ONLY way I would EVER consider a black car again, personally...

Reactions: MXWing and hurjio
Just picked up my car on Saturday. Overall, it looks great but I do have some seams under each of the fog lights. Ill upload some pics when I get home later tonight.

Also, does anyone have their mirrors fully wrap? Mine only covers the front/top of the mirror when theyre open and there is a seam along the inner corner. My car is white so I'm just worried that the seams will start to become obvious as they get dirty.

I’m sure Doug went over with you in detail but give it a week or so and then Doug will give it a once over and correct any issues.

Just picked up my car on Saturday. Overall, it looks great but I do have some seams under each of the fog lights. Ill upload some pics when I get home later tonight.

Also, does anyone have their mirrors fully wrap? Mine only covers the front/top of the mirror when theyre open and there is a seam along the inner corner. My car is white so I'm just worried that the seams will start to become obvious as they get dirty.

I’m sure Doug went over with you in detail but give it a week or so and then Doug will give it a once over and correct any issues.

I have a follow up appointment on Saturday to go over the car. I think its great that they go over the car with you in detail a week later to address any issues. I'm not concerned with Doug as hes always been very open and friendly.

I just wanted to add to this thread as I'm not sure how everyone else's seams are. Its more so to level set my own expectations and be reasonable. If that's how its being applied for everyone else, then I'm completely fine with it.

Here are pics of the seams on the lower part of the bumper. Does everyone else have this same seam?

Attachments

• IMG-7951.JPG
    IMG-7951.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG-7944.JPG
    IMG-7944.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG-7948.JPG
    IMG-7948.JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 90