Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Recommended PPF installer in So Cal? (West side)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested in the group Modesta buy, but I'm curious how Modesta stacks up against other ceramic coatings? I'm confused about what's the overall consensus on the "best" ceramic coating.
You certainly will not get a "consensus on the best ceramic coating". I have no first hand experience, but from my research Modesta is certainly considered a quality coating. It tends to be one of the "high end" exclusive coatings, Ie expensive. There are certainly cheaper coatings that I am sure are quality too. My personal relatively uneducated opinion is that the installer and the paint correction is almost more important than which coating you use. I WAS planning on getting Cquartz UK (i very well reviewed "consumer" coating) applied professionally after paint correction but I think I might spend a little extra and join the Modesta group buy. With the deal here (if we reach the 20 reservations) the price difference is not that significant, but truthfully i'm not sure if the little extra will really produce a better outcome. From my reading maybe the Modesta will be more durable than the Cquartz UK. Then again, I have no first hand experience.

I'm interested in the group Modesta buy, but I'm curious how Modesta stacks up against other ceramic coatings? I'm confused about what's the overall consensus on the "best" ceramic coating.
Everything I've read indicates that Modesta is a fantastic coating with only one weakness: PRICE. It's very expensive. IMO, this group buy solves the one strike against it. It appears to be one of the thickest coatings on the market and, therefore, very durable. I agree with the previous posters that this is a high-end coating often found on far more expensive cars.

Reactions: atlas310
You're welcome and thanks for your help @insaneoctane! Come show me your Tesla once you get it back!
Definitely! I will also be taking SERIOUS glam shots too. It's actually hard to believe that I'm picking my Model 3 up tomorrow and I'm kinda cringing at the thought of driving it naked for a whole week! I know this sounds over the top, but I'm in conflict...I FINALLY have my Model 3 and want to drive it everywhere, but having the PPF on the front end will make me feel SO much better about piling on the miles....I will likely defer long/extra trips an extra week until after I've got Concours work done. I guess I *could* drive my other car next week....(yeah, right)

Definitely! I will also be taking SERIOUS glam shots too. It's actually hard to believe that I'm picking my Model 3 up tomorrow and I'm kinda cringing at the thought of driving it naked for a whole week! I know this sounds over the top, but I'm in conflict...I FINALLY have my Model 3 and want to drive it everywhere, but having the PPF on the front end will make me feel SO much better about piling on the miles....I will likely defer long/extra trips an extra week until after I've got Concours work done. I guess I *could* drive my other car next week....(yeah, right)
Haha yeah that will be tough I'm sure. What part of LA are you based in?

You certainly will not get a "consensus on the best ceramic coating". I have no first hand experience, but from my research Modesta is certainly considered a quality coating. It tends to be one of the "high end" exclusive coatings, Ie expensive. There are certainly cheaper coatings that I am sure are quality too. My personal relatively uneducated opinion is that the installer and the paint correction is almost more important than which coating you use. I WAS planning on getting Cquartz UK (i very well reviewed "consumer" coating) applied professionally after paint correction but I think I might spend a little extra and join the Modesta group buy. With the deal here (if we reach the 20 reservations) the price difference is not that significant, but truthfully i'm not sure if the little extra will really produce a better outcome. From my reading maybe the Modesta will be more durable than the Cquartz UK. Then again, I have no first hand experience.

I have some experience with ceramic coatings in general.

There isnt a standard per say but I have the following classifications for coatings:
Class C: Stuff that can be applied by a beginner, usually requires recoats every other month or so
Class B, Stuff that is applied by a professional, recoats needed every year
Class A: Stuff that is applied by a professional, never needs recoating

Congrats!! I know the feeling, I wanted to drive it but having it protected ASAP was more important to me. I drove my car for 40 minutes from Costa Mesa to Doug at Concours after I picked it up on Tuesday.

I have seen cheap ceramic coating that lasts a year or 2 and I have a friend with a 7 series that has had Modesta for 4 years and his car always looks amazing. Life of the coating depends on how well you maintain it and he is diligent about it. That is all I have to go off of but it's enough for me.

I have seen cheap ceramic coating that lasts a year or 2 and I have a friend with a 7 series that has had Modesta for 4 years and his car always looks amazing. Life of the coating depends on how well you maintain it and he is diligent about it. That is all I have to go off of but it's enough for me.
The maintenance for Modesta seems fairly simple too. You don't have to bring it to a detailer to have it "re-loaded". Rather with Modesta, you literally spray on their "M4 Smoke" product on right after you've washed your car (yes, while your car is still wet!) and use a microfiber towel to "rub it in". That's it! Then you spray off your car and dry like usual. Doug recommends to do this quarterly to keep Modesta at it's best. I find this maintenance schedule totally acceptable to me!

Last edited:
I’m interested in PPF with full front or front bumper only to save a bit and Modesto if I ever get my car. 6+ weeks and no VIN
Has there been a price posted for front bumper precut vs custom?
This group buy only includes the listed packages as of now. In my opinion you want the custom. I saw a precut one accidentally yesterday. I saw the line on the hood and thought, "what the hell is wrong with that paint?" At that point I definitely knew a custom wrap was the only way to go.

I have some experience with ceramic coatings in general.

There isnt a standard per say but I have the following classifications for coatings:
Class C: Stuff that can be applied by a beginner, usually requires recoats every other month or so
Class B, Stuff that is applied by a professional, recoats needed every year
Class A: Stuff that is applied by a professional, never needs recoating

Feynlab ceramic has a 3 year warranty. And can be supplied by a non professional.

This group buy only includes the listed packages as of now. In my opinion you want the custom. I saw a precut one accidentally yesterday. I saw the line on the hood and thought, "what the hell is wrong with that paint?" At that point I definitely knew a custom wrap was the only way to go.

Just to make it clear, Concours cuts these custom per vehicle due to the off nominal variable body gaps of the M3.

They take a full sheet out and cut to size so the edges can be wrapped.

Glad I found this post looking to do a 360 PPF, tint, and center console wrap once I take delivery. I haven’t nailed down which shop will do it yet still researching.
We're glad you found it as well! I did a fair amount of research and called around. Based on what we put together here and the calls/emails I made prior to this coming together, you will not find a better deal at this quality level. Please call around and see what estimates you get, but please don't throw these low prices in their faces.

Please do me a solid and dont mention these numbers when shopping around as you should be getting blind quotes from your provider.
(one of my pet peeves is saying, oh I got this price from this guy, expecting a lower price from your guy, but in reality, you are just tanking and de-valuing the market).