Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red fluid leaking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know what this is? It's coming from the center back of the vehicle, model S.

The service center can't get me in for 3 weeks, it's really slippery.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_8228.jpeg

I'm guessing you have a seal leaking. That is a pretty big spill from a seal letting go though. Has the car sat for a long period of time in the driveway after a big drive? The spray from the seal could have been caught in the diffuser tray and then once stopped collected and dripped out over several hours/overnight.

Or maybe it has been dripping there for several days, and you just noticed it?

If you are handy with removing the wheel you can get in there with a flashlight and see the motor where the driveshaft enters; it will be wet and dirty :)

But if that is what it is should only be a couple hundred.

• Helpful
Reactions: croman
Upvote 0
The spill is after about a week of the car, It's been happening for weeks and I've been cleaning it up...

I took some photos of under the car... it's raining out, so probably not the best time to take photos, but the whole back middle part of the car is much darker than everything else. I don't know if that's normal, or what, but that seems to be the area where it's leaking.

Tesla did replace my rear drive unit last year due to it failing. Another thing I just thought of is I auto-change the suspension of my car from 'normal' to 'very high' right as it gets to my house so I don't bottom out on my driveway, I don't know if that liquid could be coming from whatever it uses to automatically higher/lower the car.

I'll keep everyone updated on what Tesla says, hopefully it will help others.

IMG_8242 2.jpeg
IMG_8244.jpeg

Upvote 0
Another thing I just thought of is I auto-change the suspension of my car from 'normal' to 'very high' right as it gets to my house so I don't bottom out on my driveway, I don't know if that liquid could be coming from whatever it uses to automatically higher/lower the car.
The air suspension doesn't have any fluid in it so can't be the suspension.

By the looks of the colour of the fluid and location of the leak, as others have suggested it looks to be the front motor leaking. I would advise against driving the vehicle anywhere to prevent any damage to the motors.

Upvote 0
Yup that is definitely cherry juice coming out of the front drive unit. DO NOT DRIVE the car until you get it fixed regardless of what is causing it to leak oil. If you keep driving it and the diff seizes up and fries you will be responsible for the cost because you knowingly continued to drive it after it was clearly not safe for road operation.

and since adding more oil is a PITA on the front motor I'd not suggest adding more oil just because of how much it sucks to get in there to it.

If you're still under the original bumper to bumper warranty then tesla should be able to pick up the car via tow truck to take down for service if you express your concern of how driving it with such a large oil leak could cause it to fry while driving it to them.

Upvote 0
The Tempe Arizona SC is a joke, I already tried to push them to get me in sooner and they said nothing is available. They were awesome until the 3's came out and ever since, they are junk. They don't provider loaners anymore either, just uber vouchers.... Always fun to explain why you're taking your kid to school in a uber ;)

Reactions: P100D_Me
Upvote 0
So, I had the vehicle towed... and I learned that if you tow your vehicle to the SC, it gets fixed faster... It sat for a few days, but they finally looked at it today, while my original service appointment isn't for another week.

However, they identified the issue and fixed it:

"We have found the rear oil seal of the rear drive unit is faulty and leaking. The repair is covered under the drive unit warranty"

Thanks everyone for your help!

Upvote 0
Geez. If you’re in AZ take it to Gruber. If it’s a seal it won’t be under the warranty anyway
The Tempe Arizona SC is a joke, I already tried to push them to get me in sooner and they said nothing is available. They were awesome until the 3's came out and ever since, they are junk. They don't provider loaners anymore either, just uber vouchers.... Always fun to explain why you're taking your kid to school in a uber ;)
eze

Upvote 0
Glad it was
So, I had the vehicle towed... and I learned that if you tow your vehicle to the SC, it gets fixed faster... It sat for a few days, but they finally looked at it today, while my original service appointment isn't for another week.

However, they identified the issue and fixed it:

"We have found the rear oil seal of the rear drive unit is faulty and leaking. The repair is covered under the drive unit warranty"

Thanks everyone for your help!
covered. You dodged a bullet

Upvote 0