Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

red hand autopilot warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've noticed a couple times now my first warning appearing as the red hands autopilot warning, not the kindlier, gentler one. It is not autopilot jail however. I can continue using it normally. I still get the regular warning most of the time.

Any idea what triggers that warning? Is it something new with the latest update? I didn't get it before.

Hi all,

I've noticed a couple times now my first warning appearing as the red hands autopilot warning, not the kindlier, gentler one. It is not autopilot jail however. I can continue using it normally. I still get the regular warning most of the time.

Any idea what triggers that warning? Is it something new with the latest update? I didn't get it before.

Same. Noticed this once the other day. Not sure what it means.

I do indeed believe that it is new. It is an indication that the car no longer believes that it can safely drive itself. I have one segment of road that has a "hidden" curve in it and if I take it at 35 mph, I have no issue, but if I go to 45 mph, the car decides that it just can't handle the situation.

It's the car saying "I give up, your turn"

I notice some phantom breaking when there's a car in the right most lane sometimes as well. It seems like NOA is incorrectly expecting a merge.
I've seen it with cars approaching from a left merge lane, as well, when the lane is at a higher than normal angle. Where the vehicle is at an higher than normal angle to your lane. They have their own lane that they'll merge on but the angle of approach seems to have EAP extrapolate an intercept?

P.S. There is also an overpass near my home that has a curve happening through the apex of the overpass, and it appears the walls freak out EAP, too, enough that it slows down. I'm pretty sure it can still see the lane markings, so it's not that.

I've seen it with cars approaching from a left merge lane, as well, when the lane is at a higher than normal angle. Where the vehicle is at an higher than normal angle to your lane. They have their own lane that they'll merge on but the angle of approach seems to have EAP extrapolate an intercept?

P.S. There is also an overpass near my home that has a curve happening through the apex of the overpass, and it appears the walls freak out EAP, too, enough that it slows down. I'm pretty sure it can still see the lane markings, so it's not that.
I also notice that sometimes EAP will think the shoulder is a lane and would want to go over to the exit lane.

I also notice that sometimes EAP will think the shoulder is a lane and would want to go over to the exit lane.
I've not noticed this. Lots of times I've seen a tight curb convince it there is no lane (right or left). It could be I just didn't see the display of it, though, I don't watch the lane marker display on the screen much.

Last edited: