Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Snowflake battery in app/0km an hour charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I picked up my new 2021 Model 3 SR+ two days ago. Absolutely love the car! I’m still new to the ev world and have a few questions.

Charging at home I’m using a 12v outlet and the first two days I was getting 9km/hr. No issues etc.

I got home today and started charging and it was louder than usually (fans etc) and is showing a 0km/hr charge on my app along with a battery (red) with a snowflake in the top corner of the charging section. I have amps and bolts showing fine on the app. Is this just the battery being cold?

The only differences between days was that it was raining hard today and the other days just a wet road. It’s garage kept at roughly 8-10 degrees Celsius.
Thanks!

Sounds like it.

You should eventually see charging start. Initially it has to warm up the battery to accept the charge.

Hopefully you are planning to have a better outlet available soon? Lots of good choices, depending on your wiring and breaker box from a "welder" 6-20 to "dryer" 14-30 to full 14-50 or 6-50.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Charging at home I’m using a 12v outlet and the first two days I was getting 9km/hr. No issues etc.

Only 12 volts in Canada, wow.

Seriously though, people are reporting that at some point the amount of energy needed to heat the battery exceeds the 1.5 kW provided by the 120v outlet. As it gets colder, you may find yourself unable to charge, and/or with high electric bills.

You'll need to get a higher amperage outlet or wall charger because the faster charging will generate more heat which will prevent the battery from cooling off before it is done charging.

EDIT: I see now that you have a heated garage, supposedly 8-10C. You should be fine then, but you are in fact experiencing a cold battery, so there is some merit to still consider the faster charger.

Last edited:
Only 12 volts in Canada, wow.

Seriously though, people are reporting that at some point the amount of energy needed to heat the battery exceeds the 1.5 kW provided by the 120v outlet. As it gets colder, you may find yourself unable to charge, and/or with high electric bills.

You'll need to get a higher amperage outlet or wall charger because the faster charging will generate more heat which will prevent the battery from cooling off before it is done charging.

EDIT: I see now that you have a heated garage, supposedly 8-10C. You should be fine then, but you are in fact experiencing a cold battery, so there is some merit to still consider the faster charger.

OP is in Vancouver. Vancouver isn't actually cold, just wet and miserable :)

It started charging after an hour, thanks for the input and info guys!

You'll see it cycle on and off throughout charging.

I would very, very strongly recommend a higher power charging setup ASAP though. 120V charging is already quite inefficient (~73%), and it using power to heat (while spending a lot of time leaking that heat due to slow charging) means you're easily below 50% charging efficiency, meaning you're using 2x the "ideal" kWh to charge your car. A higher power 240V setup pays for itself very quickly in this situation.