Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Red Steering wheel warning- eyeball inattention?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The other day I got the giant red steering wheel and (approximately) ten loud warning beeps. It wasn’t an “Autopilot Jail” warning (due to lack of string wheel interaction) as Autopilot was still engaged.
At the time I was trying to set fog lights as heavy fog rolled in.
The procedure Is cumbersome requiring significant screen interaction; tap controls, lights, turn on fog lights, set lights to parking (if you don’t the fog lights are useless as the low/high beams will just bounce back in the fog). It wasn’t foggy when I left home so there was no need to set it up in advance, and it would have been dangerous to do so (drive with fogs only) if I did
Remarkably, there’s isn’t a simple voice command to perform these tasks (but there is one to launch the juvenile Easter eggs…way to set priorities, engineers!)
Do you think the warning was due to the cabin camera noticing eyeball inattention to road? (I was on an empty straightaway with Autopilot engaged so I felt comfortable looking at screen for a few seconds).
If so, it’s ironic the car punishes you for taking the time to do what the car requires you to do to drive safely (in a dangerous situation, blinding fog).
Was that the warning I got? Does car yell at you for looking down?
Thanks

If the red steering wheel pops up with the warning to take over it's typically because the AP is not sure what to do or the steering wheel hasn't been touched for a while. It's hard to tell what happened from here.

On a side note, you can control the lights from the quick setup page. There is no need to tap lights.

If the red steering wheel pops up with the warning to take over it's typically because the AP is not sure what to do or the steering wheel hasn't been touched for a while. It's hard to tell what happened from here.

On a side note, you can control the lights from the quick setup page. There is no need to tap lights.
It definitely wasn't the wheel nag reminder as I tried adjusting the volume and jiggling the wheel to stop the beeps.
As far as quick controls, yeah, but there are still a few (too many) taps to get it set up.
Should be a one button process, with a corresponding voice command (IMHO).

Mine has done this on some normal turns onto a road out of nowhere. Starts beeping steering wheel goes red sometimes it will disengage other times you can grab the wheel and coax it along and autopilot acc is still on but steering went grey.

Of course when it does that you aren’t going to stare at the screen wondering what it might show because it seems like some kind of emergency situation so I end up fighting the wheel and scanning everywhere trying to figure out WTF the car it thinking and doing in case impending collision is about to happen.

Just one of the dozens and dozens of things Beta does to scare the sh&t out of me on a daily basis.

Just one of the dozens and dozens of things Beta does to scare the sh&t out of me on a daily basis.
It's not only FSD Beta. I only have basic AP and sometimes I get the same warning ("take control immediately" with the red steering wheel and sounds scarier than a velociraptor) when making a turn, just as you described. AP wasn't even active at that time. It even happens when I'm exactly where I'm supposed to be (no crossing lines or cutting corners). It doesn't happen every time, but I see it happening about every two weeks. YMMV

Reactions: zigmeister