Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018 won’t start or drive after detail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a diesel mechanic at a dealership and we received a 2018 tesla model 3 as a trade it. I personally inspected the vehicle and drove it twice as well. We took it to be detailed and now it’s stuck in bay. Tesla support will not help troubleshoot beyond the suggestion of getting it towed to a dealership. The car is essentially reading that it’s been in a crash. But it was something that happened while it was being cleaned. I have no control over the steering wheel. It won’t function at all. Traction control alert, safety restraints passenger and driver front, stability control alert, automatic breaking alert.. it won’t soft reset. I’ve factory rest it twice, tore the FRUNK out and disconnected the 12v battery. Disconnected the wiring from underneath the back seat. Recalibrated the steering wheel, entered it into service mode.. I’m at a loss.

Attachments

• IMG_1774.jpeg
    IMG_1774.jpeg
    246.3 KB · Views: 129
I see a bunch of errors about components being "MIA", which means that there's no communication with them on the CAN bus. Tesla uses CAN bus for communication between a bunch of modules. I also see the active message about the VCLEFT controller missing, which could indicate damage to a wire or bad ground going to that controller. VCLEFT is the left side vehicle controller, and is located in the driver footwell under the A-pillar. All the other MIA components probably connect to it.

You should also check to make sure the 12v battery is good.

Upvote 0
I see a bunch of errors about components being "MIA", which means that there's no communication with them on the CAN bus. Tesla uses CAN bus for communication between a bunch of modules. I also see the active message about the VCLEFT controller missing, which could indicate damage to a wire or bad ground going to that controller. VCLEFT is the left side vehicle controller, and is located in the driver footwell under the A-pillar. All the other MIA components probably connect to it.

You should also check to make sure the 12v battery is good.
It's also possible there is an issue with a connection (or a failure) of the front vehicle controller (VCFRONT) and that it is not sending power to VCLEFT. VCFRONT is located right behind the 12v battery and distributes power to the left and right controllers.

Upvote 0
Given the location, I'm betting on it got wet from excessive shampooing of the rear carpet.
Either that, or some guerilla decided to power-wash the frunk, and flooded the already marginal 5-year old 12V battery.
I would start by checking both the canbus (back of center arm rest) and 12V battery connectors, and draining water out of both. Then test the 12V battery, and replace it, if necessary.

If that doesn't do it, tow it to the Tesla SC.

HTH,
a

Upvote 0
I've also heard of computers getting fried by water dripping down behind the dash when people are having tint applied to the windshield, so I suppose they could have used excess cleaning liquid when cleaning the inside of the windshield and it could have dripped down and messed up some connection to the computer.

Upvote 0