Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Redesigned door handle installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Gilthrond

Jan 16, 2019
USA
Mobile service came out this morning to replace a door handle that would present but not unlatch the door (Dec 2015 Model S). The wiring had chafed and broken near the microswitch that senses the pull to full extension.

They said they just started installing a redesigned door handle yesterday and going forward. It uses a Hall effect sensor for handle movement/position sensing and appears much simpler and more robust. Time will obviously tell.

D25928DC-549F-42CF-829E-B174BFCAAC7C.jpeg 55C1AA4A-9178-40FB-BAF3-25C23F747EEB.jpeg 3486414B-75E8-48C3-966B-C6D399972CA0.jpeg 0020E71E-8483-4AAE-898F-180CCB2269D5.jpeg

The whole assembly (pictured) was new with the exception of the actual silver door handle which was carried over and put on to this new assembly. The techs commented that they’ll no longer do on-site repairs of microswitches and wiring of the old design.

Mobile service came out this morning to replace a door handle that would present but not unlatch the door (Dec 2015 Model S). The wiring had chafed and broken near the microswitch that senses the pull to full extension.

They said they just started installing a redesigned door handle yesterday and going forward. It uses a Hall effect sensor for handle movement/position sensing and appears much simpler and more robust. Time will obviously tell.

View attachment 479112 View attachment 479113 View attachment 479114 View attachment 479115
They have been using this design for a while now. I've had 2 of mine replaces earlier this year and both were the new design.

I hope this design proves to be more robust long-term. This is also a far far FAR less expensive part to manufacture.

Does your door handle extend far enough on presentation for the lights to fully light the ground under it or is part of the light blocked by the door skin due to not extending fully?

I hope this design proves to be more robust long-term. This is also a far far FAR less expensive part to manufacture.

Does your door handle extend far enough on presentation for the lights to fully light the ground under it or is part of the light blocked by the door skin due to not extending fully?
The lights are much brighter and the handles extend far enough to have the lights hir the ground. I've been considering replacing the other 2 Just so they all match.

Every so often my driver's door presents, I tug and nothing happens, then the handle retracts; I'll ask it to present again, I give it a tug, and it opens. Is this a precursor to further failure or just ... the Fremont way?

That is a precursor to it not working at all when you tug on it. The white wire going to one of the microswitches is loose and will eventually fail.

This new handle looks pretty nice -- far simpler than the older designs!

Every so often my driver's door presents, I tug and nothing happens, then the handle retracts; I'll ask it to present again, I give it a tug, and it opens. Is this a precursor to further failure or just ... the Fremont way?

When mine failed, the door would open if you pulled the handle in the first 5 seconds of being presented; if you opened another door first then the failing door was no-go. Had to lock and unlock to try again.

This repair was in the Midwest US.

The light is partially blocked by the body (putting the shadow out about a foot and a half) but not any more so than with the previous door handle. It pretty well matches the cast of the rear handle which was not changed.

The lights are much brighter and the handles extend far enough to have the lights hir the ground. I've been considering replacing the other 2 Just so they all match.

The light is partially blocked by the body (putting the shadow out about a foot and a half) but not any more so than with the previous door handle. It pretty well matches the cast of the rear handle which was not changed.

It would seem that these reviews of the new style contradict each other.

View attachment 479112 View attachment 479113 View attachment 479114 View attachment 479115

This is not a new design. My 2013 P85 received this new design assembly for the driver’s door approximately 1 year ago. Further, my front passenger door received the new design door handle assembly about 6 weeks ago.

Note that the locations of the mounting holes (eg, where the screws are inserted) for the door handle assembly changed at some point after 2013. The mobile tech that replaced my drivers door assembly took the door panel off the door, removed the old handle assembly and then realized that the frame of the replacement door handle assembly he had with him was different and had to come back the next day. So if you try to order the assembly from Tesla, make sure you give them the VIN of your specific car. Do NOT order based upon a part number provided by another owner.

The whole assembly (pictured) was new with the exception of the actual silver door handle which was carried over and put on to this new assembly. The techs commented that they’ll no longer do on-site repairs of microswitches and wiring of the old design.
That’s funny...just a few weeks ago the mobile ranger fixed my broken handle. It would present, but when pulled it would not open. Said the wires were the culprit and rerouted/installed new ones.

Would have been nice to get the new design though :(