Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced charge rate - mobile connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, not sure if anyone can help but I am noticing recently that the charge rate with the mobile connector is dropping periodically. It is dropping from 10 to 5A and showing a 1KW charge rate. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this due to heat (the outside plug socket is in direct sunlight and the car is in direct sunlight most of the day.

Hi, not sure if anyone can help but I am noticing recently that the charge rate with the mobile connector is dropping periodically. It is dropping from 10 to 5A and showing a 1KW charge rate. Is anyone else experiencing this? Is this due to heat (the outside plug socket is in direct sunlight and the car is in direct sunlight most of the day.

... try a night charge to test?

Reactions: Durzel
I've had it do this on an underspec'd or faulty socket (not mine so didn't investigate). Try a different socket if you can reach. If no other option, and you can't change sockets you could back off the charge rate to less than the 10 but more than 5 to see if it will sustain that.

Remember just running the car takes ~300w, so the lower the input the larger a % of your power is just going to keeping the car awake. So halfing your input will probably triple the time to charge. Hence, if you can get +1 amp by choosing the limit yourself it will pay off.

Try reseating the plug in adaptor. I've had a similar problem with the 32amp adaptor.
Screenshot_20200528-205836~2.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200528-205836.jpg
    Screenshot_20200528-205836.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 150
thanks for the comments everyone. It has been fine the last 2 months, and I just noticed it intermitently dropping but then recoving. Cable is not hot, adapter is warm but nothing more (In direct sunlight so I would expect this as its black), and so it does seem to be the plug. I didnt have any issues yesterday when charging (it was a little cloudier), but ill keep an eye on it and update here if i find out anymore