Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got FSD @ $8K last year.

This is like buying FSD on Kickstarter, giving them money before it hits market, and then it bring cheaper once it hits market. WTF, I only paid the extra $3k because it was supposed to be cheaper buying it early!

I can handle the price drops on the models, that happens. But this was specifically advertised as being financially beneficial to purchase early. Bullshit.

I got FSD @ $8K last year.

This is like buying FSD on Kickstarter, giving them money before it hits market, and then it bring cheaper once it hits market. WTF, I only paid the extra $3k because it was supposed to be cheaper buying it early!

I can handle the price drops on the models, that happens. But this was specifically advertised as being financially beneficial to purchase early. Bullshit.
Pretty much this, they are really screwing over early adopters, and those that had the strongest faith IF this is the official news.

I feel for you and others in this situation.

On the other hand, this post really does not clarify anything.

I will probably not buy FSD for 2k, they already have my 5k so that should be enough since it is enough for people who purchased nothing. But legally I got what I paid for, so I guess I can't complain. Thanks, Tesla....

My prediction on what Tesla will offer once the dust settles:

No EAP: $2k AP + $3k FSD = $5k
EAP: Upgrade to FSD
EAP+FSD: Early Access Program AND $3k refund

If this happens, everyone will be happy again.
fify, just my opinion of course. EAP+FSD original purchasers should be rewarded not just refunded. (I am not one of the but I think that's how it should go)

Reactions: TT97 and C141medic
There is no mention anywhere in their post about EAP owners. This is not by accident. Tesla knows full well who bought what.

I’m waiting to explicitly hear what happens to EAP owners before judging. This includes what’s going on with HW3. They will have to make this clear at some point.

This whole scenario is leaving me feeling sour about the company. If they just did the autopilot swap around and left it at that I could deal with it. Technology gets better and upgrades should cost more. But they also lowered the price of the car. That means my car loses value and I need to pay another $3000 to have similar features. I just got milked for $5k. Big blow all in one day, not to mention I am getting really annoyed that I have a really buggy software update and they haven't updated my car in 40 days.

I agree. I think the best way for Tesla to stimulate sales would’ve been to invest in marketing and advertising instead of discounting and devaluing the product. A performance Model 3 shouldn’t cost less than a BMW M3. They should price out to be roughly the same. The goal, for the company to be sustainable, should be to drive prices up, not down!

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
I agree. I think the best way for Tesla to stimulate sales would’ve been to invest in marketing and advertising instead of discounting and devaluing the product. A performance Model 3 shouldn’t cost less than a BMW M3. They should price out to be roughly the same. The goal, for the company to be sustainable, should be to drive prices up, not down!

Tesla wants the price of a P3D to be cheaper than a BMW M3. A lot of people would like a BMW M3 but can't afford one. Tesla's goal is to move the world to sustainable energy as quickly as possible, not to make more money sooner. Higher volumes at lower margins can translate to the same profit as lower volumes at higher margins. Cheaper is good. Spending money on marketing/advertising helps no one when the product sells itself.

I'm excited about these lower price points.

Tesla wants the price of a P3D to be cheaper than a BMW M3. A lot of people would like a BMW M3 but can't afford one. Tesla's goal is to move the world to sustainable energy as quickly as possible, not to make more money sooner. Higher volumes at lower margins can translate to the same profit as lower volumes at higher margins. Cheaper is good. Spending money on marketing/advertising helps no one when the product sells itself.

I'm excited about these lower price points.

Yeah..... you don’t work in business/sales do you

As a shareholder I don’t want to see Tesla play the grocery store game and race to the bottom on margins for a temporary spike in volume. Plus cars aren’t weekly consumables. Their cars need to maintain a value and a perception of that value like Porsche or Audi.

In order to move the world to substantiate transportation they need to stay in business for the long term.

You say they don’t need marketing as the cars “sell themselves.” Then why drop the price I ask? I get the $35k entry level, no issues there.

Early adopters always pay a premium. What they get is bragging rights for being "first on my block". Every tech product works that way.
New cars, phones, other tech = yes.

FSD was paying a "discounted" premium to fund tech that wasn't even available yet. Big difference. Prices drop after things are released and costs go down. If a startup did a round of funding from investors with a market cap @ $10MM, and then a year later did another round of funding at $7MM.....the early investors got screwed. The same situation with FSD, we were investing in the tech, its not something tangible like the vehicle or a phone that devalues over time.

This is equivalent to Tesla charging less to people who pre-ordered in winter 2016 vs line-waiters....all before anyone got their cars.

Let’s me mindful of the fact this is a car, not solar panels. And if this were true how come the new iPhones and Samsung smart phones have gone up in price every year?
Pretty simple. The phone makers found 1) People will pay the price. 2) Planned obsolescence. 3) Having the latest phone is a status symbol that many people can afford. Tesla's stated mission is to get electric cars in the hands as of many people as possible. Because a car is more expensive than a phone, lowering the price is the quickest way to do this. Expect more price drops When the Maxwell technology batteries go online.

Reactions: StealthP3D
Pretty simple. The phone makers found 1) People will pay the price. 2) Planned obsolescence. 3) Having the latest phone is a status symbol that many people can afford. Tesla's stated mission is to get electric cars in the hands as of many people as possible. Because a car is more expensive than a phone, lowering the price is the quickest way to do this. Expect more price drops When the Maxwell technology batteries go online.

I’m sorry but that is a flawed argument. With over 400,000 reservations your point #1 is mute as “people will pay the price” for the model 3. And for many, not myself (honestly!) having a tesla is a status symbol. Either “ I have money” or “I’m saving the planet “ etc. Me, I’m just a car enthusiast.

Not keeping your customers happy by devaluing the product will stimulate short term sales. But if the mission is to get EVs out to many people I would argue it would be best to keep your ambassadors or “early adopters” happy in order to build long term success. Auto makers rely on a degree of loyalty to keep generations in the brand. Here in Michigan you have “Ford guys, Chevy guys” and so on.

As competition comes to market I can tell you that resale value ranks right up there as for top reasons to buy a vehicle. Just because a product is cheaper on the front end doesn’t mean it’ll have a lower cost of ownership.

Reactions: CrazyCoconut
You say they don’t need marketing as the cars “sell themselves.” Then why drop the price I ask? I get the $35k entry level, no issues there.

You work in business/sales and you have to ask that question?

At every price point, there will be different uptake. You can raise the price and spend a bunch of money on advertising, you can lower the price and spend no money on advertising, or chose a middle ground. If your goal is to maximize profit in the near term, yeah, keep margins high and advertise. But that doesn't bring the car into the mainstream and you make even more people mad when you drop the price later. It appears Tesla is trying to ramp production higher and achieve volume efficiencies as quickly as possible while being production constrained, not sales constrained.

The Model 3 stunned Munro and Associates with the low part count and how inexpensively it could be produced. This is what will propel sales over the next two years now that the car is no longer the newest thing on the block. I want these amazing cars in the hands of people, not sitting in showrooms and displayed on TV as a luxury good, like they are made of unobtanium. Do you think Henry Ford became so wealthy by keeping the price of his car higher than the rest of the competition? No, over a 10 year period, from 1908 to 1918, he not only constantly improved the reliability, durability and power, he also lowered the price of his car, the Model T, from $825 to $360 in only ten years. By then he was selling 50% of all cars in America. That's how he became worth $199 billion in modern dollars, one of the wealthiest people of his day, not by keeping prices high and volumes lower.

If you have a net worth north of 20 billion dollars then I apologize and maybe you know more than Musk and team.;)