Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reduced price Autopilot & FSD for existing owners announced March 1st

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon previously stated that HW3 would be available the first half of 2019. So why is he saying “long term”? This makes no sense. Why is everything that comes out of this company so cryptic?

Why is everything so cryptic?

Maybe Musk learned that if he's too specific, those who want him to fail will crucify him. Plus, he's making it all up on the fly. You should try it sometime.

You work in business/sales and you have to ask that question?

At every price point, there will be different uptake. You can raise the price and spend a bunch of money on advertising, you can lower the price and spend no money on advertising, or chose a middle ground. If your goal is to maximize profit in the near term, yeah, keep margins high and advertise. But that doesn't bring the car into the mainstream and you make even more people mad when you drop the price later. It appears Tesla is trying to ramp production higher and achieve volume efficiencies as quickly as possible while being production constrained, not sales constrained.

The Model 3 stunned Munro and Associates with the low part count and how inexpensively it could be produced. This is what will propel sales over the next two years now that the car is no longer the newest thing on the block. I want these amazing cars in the hands of people, not sitting in showrooms and displayed on TV as a luxury good, like they are made of unobtanium. Do you think Henry Ford became so wealthy by keeping the price of his car higher than the rest of the competition? No, over a 10 year period, from 1908 to 1918, he not only constantly improved the reliability, durability and power, he also lowered the price of his car, the Model T, from $825 to $360 in only ten years. By then he was selling 50% of all cars in America. That's how he became worth $199 billion in modern dollars, one of the wealthiest people of his day, not by keeping prices high and volumes lower.

If you have a net worth north of 20 billion dollars then I apologize and maybe you know more than Musk and team.;)

“Doesn’t bring the car into the mainstream “

Doesn’t the model 3 already outsell BMW 3/4 series, Audi A4, Mercedes C Class, Lexus IS? If that is not “mainstream” then I guess you are looking to be Ford F-150 mainstream with the model 3? (Won’t happen, Americans like suvs and trucks.)

And by the way, keeping margins high along with product value doesn’t just “maximize profit near term,” it also maximizes profits long terms assuming you have a desirable product. Long term thinking is better than playing the short game. I want Tesla to be a long term success and not just a brief Wikipedia page.

And being a billionaire doesn’t equate to being able to keep a business afloat. Musk himself admitted the company nearly went bankrupt sometime around last June. So I’m sure it’s never possible again right?

Again my point is lowering price on existing models (ex: Long Range RWD) that have already proven to be #1 sellers in their category is beyond unnecessary. Building a brand is important to keep a strong following of consumers and get evs to as many people as possible.

Folks on here are sometimes like Trump supporters....

For people who bought EAP earlier and think they should pay nothing for FSD, did you not get value in having the EAP for the last xxx months? Software like hardware is a depreciating asset. Usually just slower. So if Tesla now devalues EAP but still puts similar value on FSD you cannot complain. A buyer who buys it today a) did not get to enjoy it for those xxx months and is buying something Tesla considers to be of less value.

Folks are slapping it all together and complaining that they will have paid more for it yesterday then today. That is hilarious. Is that not how everything works (excluding appreciating assets of course).

Ask the question another way: If you bought your car in say October 2018, and your choice was buy EAP and FSD now for 7k or wait until March 2019 and save 2k and get it for 5k, how many of you would have passed up the opportunity to shell out 2k more to enjoy it for 6 months?

For the more recent purchasers, I sympathize more and perhaps you can make the Apple argument. They typically grandfather in users who bought a product say 30-60 days in advance of a change.

I’m in the 5k plus 2k boat and not only do I not have an issue with the current price changes, I’m elated I’m only paying 2k.

I’m just happy I’ll be able to upgrade to FSD for just $2000 now. I was expecting to pay a lot more if I eventually decided to upgrade. However I will not pull the trigger until it is in the wild and is quite impressive.

Tesla didn’t have to give us anything, so I appreciate this FSD upgrade cost cut. For anyone upset about not getting money back or a greater discount I feel your pain but I don’t think we’re going to get any better deal than this.

So, I bought my car in 11/18 with no EAP. The just-announced $2000 Autopilot upgrade seems very reasonably priced and I don't think I'll miss the features that were once on EAP.

My plan is to go for it once it's available next month (my account still has the price at $4,000). Moreover, while I had never planned on getting FSD, now it seems to be reasonably priced and intriguing (not for the former EAP features but because of the hardware upgrade unlocking lots of future possibilities I would otherwise miss). If it's still $3,000 for FSD in 6 months, I'll probably go for that too. Anyone else similarly situated/thinking about it this way?

So, I bought my car in 11/18 with no EAP. The just-announced $2000 Autopilot upgrade seems very reasonably priced and I don't think I'll miss the features that were once on EAP.

My plan is to go for it once it's available next month (my account still has the price at $4,000). Moreover, while I had never planned on getting FSD, now it seems to be reasonably priced and intriguing (not for the former EAP features but because of the hardware upgrade unlocking lots of future possibilities I would otherwise miss). If it's still $3,000 for FSD in 6 months, I'll probably go for that too. Anyone else similarly situated/thinking about it this way?

I got $5000 back in exchange of my supercharging. I was going to use that money for forged wheels but this change of pricing changes everything. Autopilot add a lot to the whole experience of having a model 3. I love autopilot when I had the trip it is brilliant IMO

I wonder if a bunch of us buy this software upgrade Tesla will make a profit this quarter and update like this shouldn't cost them much money.

I got my car in October 2018, I selected EAP for $5,000 but didn't took FSD which was $3,000.

The upgrade offer I received today is $3,000 for FSD.

So this this the same price that I could have pay before, not "half of the normal cost"?

Today, the "normal cost" for EAP + FSD is $8,000.

if I didn't have EAP, should have it for "half of the normal cost" or $4,000 ?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
I got my car in October 2018, I selected EAP for $5,000 but didn't took FSD which was $3,000.

The upgrade offer I received today is $3,000 for FSD.

So this this the same price that I could have pay before, not "half of the normal cost"?

Post-purchase EAP is normally 4-5k so 3k post-purchase is a discount from that price.

For people who never bought either this is a great deal.

For people who bought EAP, it's still a pretty good one since you got to enjoy EAP all the while and it's a great feature.

For people who bought FSD previously this is a huge slap in the face, telling them they paid $3000, some 2-3 years ago, for literally nothing- but hey, throwing em a bone Tesla will now let them run buggy, unfinished software if they're willing to work for it! (provide feedback)

Hardware getting a lot cheaper overnight never really bothered me on Teslas stuff... this one seems like a genuine screw of the early FSD buyers though.

I'm so confused--

I have the -now obsolete- Enhanced Auto-Pilot.

I bought it after my 30-day trial for $5,500..+tax.. so, $5,898.72 to be exact.

I know I have it, my car knows I have it, I use it every day, and my credit card knows I have it.. but it's not listed on my Tesla account.

I would have never noticed until someone else posted a picture of their account profile under "Options". So I looked at mine and it only mentions the "premium interior".

Is that because I bought if AFTER delivery?.. or just that someone never added it to my account?- the problem is then that if I ever did want to pay for the FSD, it's showing $7000 or something ridiculous.

If I understand correctly, it should only be $2k??

Thanks for any help.

Oh man, this made me smile (though I understand why many are pissed). I bought in summer 2018 without EAP. All I wanted was TACC, which I can now get at a reasonable price ($2k)!

As a consolation for those who bought EAP, it does have more features than AP. For those who bought EAP+FSD, I agree you should get something like free supercharging for a couple years to compensate.

I'm so confused--

I have the -now obsolete- Enhanced Auto-Pilot.

I bought it after my 30-day trial for $5,500..+tax.. so, $5,898.72 to be exact.

I know I have it, my car knows I have it, I use it every day, and my credit card knows I have it.. but it's not listed on my Tesla account.

I would have never noticed until someone else posted a picture of their account profile under "Options". So I looked at mine and it only mentions the "premium interior".

Is that because I bought if AFTER delivery?.. or just that someone never added it to my account?- the problem is then that if I ever did want to pay for the FSD, it's showing $7000 or something ridiculous.

If I understand correctly, it should only be $2k??

Thanks for any help.

You have EAP, which they don’t sell anymore. But, it has more features than the current AP. It’s in between AP and AP+FSD.

Reactions: Runnergirl
You have EAP, which they don’t sell anymore. But, it has more features than the current AP. It’s in between AP and AP+FSD.

Thank you- i sent an inquiry to Tesla as to why my account doesn't reflect that I already have Enhanced Autopilot.. I might upgrade to FSD, but I think it should only be 2k.... not the 4+7k that it shows right now when I go to add it on.

Just trying to clarify:
I bought in 11/18 and have no EAP. Is the current upgrade cost as follows:
Autopilot: $2,000 (I know this is correct - just framing the question)
Autopilot + FSD: $5,000 (from the blog post, it sounds almost like it could be $3,500 total - but my brain hurts after all of the math that we've all been doing for 24 hours!)

This is so fun.

My FSD upgrade option on my 2016 AP2 X is $3k. Is this supposed to change to 2k?

Also! I am waiting for an AP computer replacement because mine's broken (itself a replacement), so if I buy FSD they might as well put in the HW3. LOL.