Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports Model Y - Ohlins DFV (Performance and Grand Touring Specs) - RE-STOCKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like that if i know i'm going to have 6 people on a longer ride, i'll click the rears 2 stiffer and front 1. 90% it's just me, but then add 900 lbs with 5 passenger and some cargo.. I had lowered it 1/2 inch as well. I've also stiffened it by 6 clicks driving up and down mulholland in LA. I can adjust the front in about 10 seconds and rears in 20 seconds. once you know where it's at, you sit down next to the rear tire, lay down so you can reach the shock and give it a twist.

Reactions: EV Car and tm1v2
the wheelbase of the Y is pretty short so I think there is some things working against us. I have the GT and love it. The faster you go the smoother it is. On an open stretch highway I hit 100mph and it was just absolutely smooth as butter. It's a tradeoff, slow driving thru a bumpy alley it still jumps around a bit, but on the freeway it's perfectly smooth. If i soften it up for the bumpy alleys, it gets a bit bumpier on the freeway.

Currently I have the fronts at 22 and the rear at 23. I'm still playing around with it, but definitely put your tires at 39psi.
Is this 22 clicks from stiffest on front, 23 from stiffest on rear (so 11 from full soft front, 10 from full soft rear) on the 32 click range?

Got about 100miles on varied driving conditions on the Redwood Ohlins GT setup on my MY2021.

Wow. Its a DRAMATC improvement. The car is now what it shoulda been from factory. Wonder what it be like to stick this into a 2023 MYP with its improved sound proofing etc.
Haven't played with settings but will try a few minor adjustments (may actually stiffen it a bit as its so well behaved).
Ontop work on soundproofing next to try bring down overall sound pressure (ordered the new door panels, putting dynamat back in trunk spaces). Commuting 400+ miles a week in the car and trying to get my moneys worth out of it.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
With the settings far closer to full soft than full firm (22 clicks front from full firm, 24 clicks rear from full firm), the Redwood Ohlins GT kit puts the car well above the limits of my current Michelin X-Ice winter tires and super easy to feel the tire limits. Never did before as the car was just skipping and bouncing around. Little to no body roll and well behaved. Now, the MY is still a heavy, tall SUV so it doesn't make it a Model3 or 911, but for what it is, with the Ohlins GT kit the MY is finally what it should have been all along. Doubt there is any benefit in going for a firmer setup as there is so much range on the adjuster to firm this up yet. Looking forward to testing it out on proper summer tires come April.
Now, I may need toss the same kit into the M3, that be REALLY interesting as the M3 is a FAR better handling car off the bat.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray_R and tm1v2
With the settings far closer to full soft than full firm (22 clicks front from full firm, 24 clicks rear from full firm), the Redwood Ohlins GT kit puts the car well above the limits of my current Michelin X-Ice winter tires and super easy to feel the tire limits. Never did before as the car was just skipping and bouncing around. Little to no body roll and well behaved. Now, the MY is still a heavy, tall SUV so it doesn't make it a Model3 or 911, but for what it is, with the Ohlins GT kit the MY is finally what it should have been all along. Doubt there is any benefit in going for a firmer setup as there is so much range on the adjuster to firm this up yet. Looking forward to testing it out on proper summer tires come April.
Now, I may need toss the same kit into the M3, that be REALLY interesting as the M3 is a FAR better handling car off the bat.
You will love the GT kit in the M3. I’ve had it in mine for a year and it has transformed the ride and handling.

Reactions: EV Car
Ok one more review. Just drove 210 miles from Bay Area up towards Reno on US80. First real test.
iIs an entirely new car. With prior supension at highway speeds got unbearable >72-75mph. Was cruising at 80+ and it was calm and composed like never before. The entire experience so much more controlled and well behaved, and a ton more comfort. FWIW, my wife was equally impressed driving the car and the sensation is the same for passengers. Recommended.

Last edited:
As an aside, when new suspension is installed, the shop will typically include an alignment. It’s amazing, according to the shop that did mine, how many Teslas come from the factory with an alignment that’s “close enough”. A proper alignment makes a pretty significant difference in how the car drives down the freeway.

I went 6 clicks from softest both front and rear. The ride is dang near plush!
wow, that's really soft. I found it in my alley going slow a bit too bouncy at that soft. But now that it's been a while I'll try. Currently i'm at 18 from stiffest in front and 18 in rear. Manual says to always go from stiffest, it should be 34 clicks but I only feel 29 clicks, how many do you? . . Since the weight distribution on the Y is 46% front 54% rear,and with me sitting up in the front by myself as well I do stiffer in the front. I used to ride it at 19 front 23 rear. I keep playing around with it.

"Set your initial front damping values. Full clockwise (closed) is full stiff, and full counter clockwise (open) is full soft. This is roughly 34 clicks but may vary slightly from damper to damper. We measure clicks always from full stiff, counting backwards (counter clockwise) after the first detent from full closed (0) is felt. We typically start at 10 Clicks from full stiff as a starting point on most chassis. Track cars will typically perform best in the 5-10 range, performance street 8-15 range, and comfort driving in the 14-25 range. When adjusting damping, we recommend rotating full clockwise, and counting backwards after feeling the first detent."

Last edited:
wow, that's really soft. I found it in my alley going slow a bit too bouncy at that soft. But now that it's been a while I'll try. Currently i'm at 18 from stiffest in front and 18 in rear. Manual says to always go from stiffest, it should be 34 clicks but I only feel 29 clicks, how many do you? . . Since the weight distribution on the Y is 46% front 54% rear,and with me sitting up in the front by myself as well I do stiffer in the front. I used to ride it at 19 front 23 rear. I keep playing around with it.

"Set your initial front damping values. Full clockwise (closed) is full stiff, and full counter clockwise (open) is full soft. This is roughly 34 clicks but may vary slightly from damper to damper. We measure clicks always from full stiff, counting backwards (counter clockwise) after the first detent from full closed (0) is felt. We typically start at 10 Clicks from full stiff as a starting point on most chassis. Track cars will typically perform best in the 5-10 range, performance street 8-15 range, and comfort driving in the 14-25 range. When adjusting damping, we recommend rotating full clockwise, and counting backwards after feeling the first detent."
The shop that did the installation set it for me. I may have to get in there and see exactly how many clicks from stiff it really is.

Thanks. Debating whether I should cancel my order with Unplugged Performance since they’re not forthcoming with projected delivery times and they seem reluctant to answer certain questions I have. Thinking about ordering the Ohlin R&T kit from Redwood instead.
I believe if you order the R&T kit there should be no lead time at all. Probably best to call them to verify though.

Reactions: tm1v2