Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vendor Redwood Motorsports Model Y - Ohlins DFV (Performance and Grand Touring Specs) - RE-STOCKED

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Ohlins RT on a Model Y in North America here. Also lifted 20mm like a boss. Only driven 15 miles, but they're better than stock, for sure. Tomorrow, with the stock suspension out of the trunk, I will ride them like they're a red-headed stepchild. So far, no worries. In some bumps, somewhat harsher than stock, but mostly softer, and the seesaw BS is majorly reduced, even with the higher ride height. Tomorrow, I'm going to beat them like a red-headed step child and let you know how it goes. Should I post a youtube video? LOL.

I have tons of tread left on my tires. Well, in the center of my tires. Edges are almost worn through. So I'm thinking 2" higher OD, but I'm a little nervous about rubbing. I may get the 2" OD boost and then get spacers if they rub.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
Also, the people at Redwood are gentlemen. I said I was gonna take a bus to work, and Chris drove me to work, both of us hunched over in the miniscule Miata. Listen, Miata is always the answer when you're not 6'+ tall. When you are, Miata is still the answer for how to reduce comfort and cause back problems. And then Heath picked me up in the evening after the install was done. Totally classy guys.

Then there's the deal on the mostly necessary remote adjusters for the front. Worth it, I think.

And to be clear, I talked Heath's ear off asking questions over the past 12+ months. He earned every damned cent. Bravo, Redwood/Sakebomb. Much impress.

• Funny
Reactions: slzeal and tm1v2
Got out on the freeway. Definitely getting some crashiness now on some nasty bumps on the rear. I'm actually thinking to tighten the front from 20 clicks and loosen the back from 60 clicks (front is I think 30 full stiff and rear is 80 full stiff, so clicks mean different amounts).

I drove it a lot harder this morning on the way back from dropping son at school. I'm definitely feeling more confident in the car, though I don't fully trust it yet having driven for so long with it being a hot mess. There's of course movement from bumps, but the massive head toss wiggle wiggle wiggle is no longer there, thank goodness. The rear definitely crashes through the structure more, revealing how floppy the frame is in the rear. Upgrading model y suspension is like trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

To sum up so far, RT is definitely stiffer and far better damped than stock. This is NOT going to make your car into a magic carpet, but it is going to get rid of the worst of the MY handling sins while adding some harshness in return. I'm definitely already driving faster, which is a sign of my confidence, especially mid corner bumps. This is going to be fun to play with!

• Informative
I have to say, with the new suspension, I hate the MY so much less. It's no perfect car, but it now provides a slight amount of happiness to my heart. I gotta get some spacers and bigger wheels.
I backed off 10 clicks on the rear, and the crashiness is down but the rear floatiness is up. Gonna tighten two clicks up front and five in the rear, seeing where it gets me. That's 22 clicks up front and 55 in the rear where I should end up.

@Jigglypuff On my Redwood Performance Sport Ohlins DFV dampers, 10 clicks is a pretty huge adjustment! Looking forward to hearing how the in-between setting feels (your plan for trying 5 clicks stiffer next).
The rears are 80 clicks end to end. The front is 30 clicks end to end. So 10 clicks in the rear is like 4 clicks in the front. I wanted a noticeably difference, so I went 10 clicks back there. The intention is to tighten up the front 2 and back 5, and see how I feel. I just gotta get under the car.

• Informative
@Jigglypuff To adjust the rear you only need to lie down next to the wheel and reach in, right? No need for lifting or tools or getting underneath the car.

For the front on the Y is it just pop the hood, maybe pull off upper vent cover (by hand / no tools), and then adjust? (If the kit came with adjuster extensions.)

Last edited:
@RedwoodMotors Do GT kits have the "Whoosh" noise as mentioned by @EVS Motors here
Whoosh noise where at what time in the video? Those installers were a lil clueless but whatever they got the point eventually. Anyways a whoosh sound going over big bumps is normal. Its the sound of the highspeed bleed off. All that high speed compresses air goes thru a high speed valve so nothing blows up.

We've extensively tested the R&T Kits, they are running a much higher spring rate and much more compression damping. These are definately not softer than the GT kit - nearly 2x the spring rate with more compression damping force (if we scale for spring rate)
How are the Ohlins R/T compared to the Redwood Perfomance Ohlins for the Tesla model 3? What am I getting more vs the out of box Ohlins R/T?

The rears are 80 clicks end to end. The front is 30 clicks end to end. So 10 clicks in the rear is like 4 clicks in the front. I wanted a noticeably difference, so I went 10 clicks back there. The intention is to tighten up the front 2 and back 5, and see how I feel. I just gotta get under the car.
Where are you getting these click amounts from? Redwood's Ohlins kit claims it has 32 adjustable clicks and the Ohlins RT kit claims it has only 20.

Verbally told by Redwood. Front and rear are different, is my understanding. Rear has many more clicks/detents. The methods of adjustment are also quite different. The front is a little knob on top of the shocks. The rear is a large ring around the base of the shocks.

Verbally told by Redwood. Front and rear are different, is my understanding. Rear has many more clicks/detents. The methods of adjustment are also quite different. The front is a little knob on top of the shocks. The rear is a large ring around the base of the shocks.
I understand but must have misheard, because per all their literature and online reviews, it has nowhere near 80 clicks of adjustment. Have you started from one end (soft/firm) and clicked all the way to the other end?