Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Referral code for my second Tesla? And other questions.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t even know if using a referral code matters anymore. Is there any benefit and if there is, would I qualify? My 2018 Model 3 was recently totaled after a hit and run. On that car I had free supercharging. I had also paid just 2k for FSD. Do I lose all of that when buying the new car? I get that I’m not entitled to it. I just wonder if it’s even worth asking. Any comments would be welcomed.

I don’t even know if using a referral code matters anymore. Is there any benefit and if there is, would I qualify? My 2018 Model 3 was recently totaled after a hit and run. On that car I had free supercharging. I had also paid just 2k for FSD. Do I lose all of that when buying the new car? I get that I’m not entitled to it. I just wonder if it’s even worth asking. Any comments would be welcomed.

YES !

Someone totaled one of mine earlier this year and it still had free supercharging miles, not unlimited just some unused free miles since I largely charge at home. When I ordered a new car and used another members code I still had the miles from the first car and the new miles from the code on the second car. Note I kept the totaled car on my Tesla.com account for the time being. But I wiped all personal info from the totaled car.

Also you get thrown into a monthly drawing when you use the code as well.

You can use your own code but you won't get double benefits. If you use someone else's code both people get the benefit.

Insurance will reimburse for Autopilot / FSD as well. You can show them screenshot of the app and your credit card. They did with me. They won't reimburse for supercharging miles as they don't reimburse for "gas" in a totaled ICE car.

For what it's worth:
Earn Free Supercharging Miles or a $100 Cash Award
jeremy75603

Last edited:
YES !

Someone totaled one of mine earlier this year and it still had free supercharging miles, not unlimited just some unused free miles since I largely charge at home. When I ordered a new car and used another members code I still had the miles from the first car and the new miles from the code on the second car. Note I kept the totaled car on my Tesla.com account for the time being. But I wiped all personal info from the totaled car.

You can use your own code but you won't get double benefits. If you use someone else's code both people get the benefit.

Insurance will reimburse for Autopilot / FSD as well. You can show them screenshot of the app and your credit card. They did with me. They won't reimburse for supercharging miles as they don't reimburse for "gas" in a totaled ICE car.

For what it's worth:
jeremy75603

Funny you mentioned the screenshot of the Tesla account. Maybe you were referring to a phone screenshot but when I logged in on a PC, the only way I can show them what was on the car is to click on the "Details" link when then pops up with my specific information BUT on that pop up it doesn't have the VIN. So what I did was took a screenshot of the account with the VIN and then another screenshot of the pop up with the features. I then just made a note that there was no place to show all the features with the VIN on the same page. I wish I would have known about the phone if it indeed does show everything on one page.

YES !

For what it's worth:
jeremy75603

Ya know, I had forgotten that when using a code, both the buyer and the referrer get the benefit. I guess it can't hurt to ask about FSD. 8k is going to be very painful to pay after paying 2k and not getting the benefit of it.

I wasnt following the other thread after the first page or so, but I am glad that the car got totaled. You wouldnt have wanted to drive it if it was repaired. Just make sure the insurance knows about the extra stuff you bought, with receipts. Hope it works out.

Ya know, I had forgotten that when using a code, both the buyer and the referrer get the benefit. I guess it can't hurt to ask about FSD. 8k is going to be very painful to pay after paying 2k and not getting the benefit of it.

You didnt pay 2k for FSD... you paid 7k for FSD because you had to buy EAP for 5k then FSD for 2k. When you go to insurance for reimbursment your MVPA should show the 5k you paid for EAP, and then show them the upgrade for FSD for 2k. You should expect to get reimbursed the 7k you spent, so you are looking at 7k vs 8k, not 2k vs 8k.

Reactions: Reborn
You didnt pay 2k for FSD... you paid 7k for FSD because you had to buy EAP for 5k then FSD for 2k. When you go to insurance for reimbursment your MVPA should show the 5k you paid for EAP, and then show them the upgrade for FSD for 2k. You should expect to get reimbursed the 7k you spent, so you are looking at 7k vs 8k, not 2k vs 8k.

Are you saying that EAP was not included in the price for the performance model? It's been a couple of years. I guess I could look up the original invoice. For some reason I just thought that EAP was included when I bought the performance model and then some months afterwards, they had a very short promotion to add FSD for 2k. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Are you saying that EAP was not included in the price for the performance model? It's been a couple of years. I guess I could look up the original invoice. For some reason I just thought that EAP was included when I bought the performance model and then some months afterwards, they had a very short promotion to add FSD for 2k. Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

It should be on your Purchase Agreement for 5,000. I bought my model 3P in Dec of 2018, and I if you had free supercharging, it ment you bought it before me... before end of 3rd quarter 2018 in order to get that.

Tesla moved stuff around, but they didnt start "including" anything related to AP / EAP until april of 2019, so I feel fairly confident your MVPA should be similar to mine... with the charge on there for EAP for 5k. We both bought FSD during the 2k fire sale.

Your remembering the FSD right, but not the EAP. You might be remembering it as "included" because it was something you added to the MVPA so was likely part of your original financing if you financed.

I did end up contacting a local Tesla dealer here in Carlsbad, CA but they told me that nothing transfers from one car to another. I thought they might be a little more generous being that the car with FSD was totaled and will never again see the light of day. Yes, the insurance company’s settle offer should include all those features. Maybe it’s because Tesla Insurance hasn’t made their offer to me yet that I’m just a bit antsy. And after all, this is will be the second performance model purchased in less than 2 years. Oh well.

Sorry the app doesn’t have it on one screen either. I just showed the insurance multiple screen shots.
I did end up contacting a local Tesla dealer here in Carlsbad, CA but they told me that nothing transfers from one car to another. I thought they might be a little more generous being that the car with FSD was totaled and will never again see the light of day. Yes, the insurance company’s settle offer should include all those features. Maybe it’s because Tesla Insurance hasn’t made their offer to me yet that I’m just a bit antsy. And after all, this is will be the second performance model purchased in less than 2 years. Oh well.

I had two inside of FIVE MONTHS with under 1500 miles and 1 mile from home, on my way home. Don’t feel so bad.

Unlimited miles tie to the car, unfortunately. Sorry. Might suggest getting a premium used model with FSD and unlimited charging. Provided you get from from every side beside Tesla. Should still be under warranty. Better than a brand new one even if they give you a full value payment, if the unlimited miles is important.

Referral miles stay with the Tesla account and not the car. I no longer have the totaled car but left it linked with my Tesla account. It’s not likely to be rebuilt and I wiped all personal details. And I still have all the referral miles from that car. It’s tied to the Tesla referral code, or account and not any VIN.

Best of luck keep us informed, esp since your case is close to mine.