Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

forgot to order via referral code

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey gang,

I've only purchased used Teslas before but I decided to go ahead and put a deposit down on a Y a few days ago. I ordered it through the website like a total noob and didn't use my own referral code via the app. I thought there would be a place to put my referral code when I ordered but after clicking the "buy" button I realized there was no field to enter a referral code.

So now the question is, do I cancel my current order and order again with my referral code? I'd be out the $250 deposit but it sounds like they are offering $500 off and 3 months of free FSD (which I'm not dying to have but wouldn't say no to 3 free months).

You need to call Tesla or go in person to Tesla. Sometimes they will add the referral. Sometimes not. But do it quickly. Worst case, you lose the $250 and make it a do over. Good Luck
I texted the rep at the local service center near me and all he said that the referral code cannot be added retroactively and said I was more than welcome to cancel the order and reorder if I wanted. If I talk to someone else there's a chance they add my own referral code?

I am going to remind people that TMC does not allow "Here is my referral code, use that" and DEFINITELY does not allow "I will pay someone to use my referral code".

The first will get a warning, the second will get a regular member temp banned for some amount of time, and a new account terminated completely.

Reactions: RajG and vickh
I did the same, texted the delivery dude and he said once your account is created it cannot be recreated with referral. I have no idea if that's true. At least a week ago the credit was good for some garbage box credits and $500, but with the $250 cancellation I just wanted to get past it so I didn't bother playing around or looking further. It's possible I was lied to, fwiw. Cheapest car in my area is $1k more than when I ordered it two weeks ago anyway.

I was thinking about cancelling mine too but the trade-in offer they gave me was $2-2.5k higher than the one they gave me a month ago so I didn't want to kick myself with a potentially lower trade-in offer just to save $250. I am taking delivery on Friday now.

I agree that's a lot of referral $. Only confusion I have is it's the same if I self refer (loyalty) or should I set up a new account for my wife for her new Y

I already have another login but would like 1 app to have all cars. I guess I could update email address/add after?

A 3/Y earns 10,000 "credits"... and acceleration boost can be purchased for 9,500 credits (a $2,000 retail price)... plus $500 off your new car. I'd say that's worth cancelling over.

I agree that's a lot of referral $. Only confusion I have is it's the same if I self refer (loyalty) or should I set up a new account for my wife for her new Y

I already have another login but would like 1 app to have all cars. I guess I could update email address/add after?
if you self refer yourself, you don’t get the credit. Best is to referral to wife’s email/new account. This is from tesla website about referrals.

“If an existing owner attempts to order through a referral link (whether their own or a friend’s), they will not qualify for referral credits, because the buyer is already part of the Tesla community. Instead, the owner automatically earns the buyer cash awards and exclusive referral benefits associated with the purchased product.”

Reactions: vickh
anyone knows that loyalty credits worth more or referral (between 2 accounts) for another household?
Rephrase the question please? Its not clear to me.
Or just read here:

Thanks, I know that
Starting July 6, 2023, if your friend orders a new Model 3 or Model Y using your referral link:
  • They’ll receive $500 off their purchase price and 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.
  • You’ll receive 10,000 referral credits.
What I don't know is

The value of loyalty credits compared to referrals between two accounts

Thanks, I know that
Starting July 6, 2023, if your friend orders a new Model 3 or Model Y using your referral link:
  • They’ll receive $500 off their purchase price and 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.
  • You’ll receive 10,000 referral credits.
What I don't know is

The value of loyalty credits compared to referrals between two accounts

Look in your tesla account and see what 10,000 credits can buy.

$500 + 3 months of FSD = $500 + $199+$199+$199, or $1100

See what you can buy with 10,000 credits and what that is worth, if I understand the question.

On a side note, this thread makes me a bit uncomfortable from a moderation perspective, because TMC does not allow people to post anything close to "use my referral code" like I said above. Threads about referrals almost always turn into someone new searching the site, finding it, then posting about "use my referral code" or even, in this thread (which I deleted) "Ill pay you to use my referral code".

My apologies, I think I am still unclear.

If other household buy the car using my referral they will get $500 off their purchase price and 3 months of FDS. I will get 10k credit.

How many credits I will get if I don't use any referral and this is my second tesla?

My apologies, I think I am still unclear.

If other household buy the car using my referral they will get $500 off their purchase price and 3 months of FDS. I will get 10k credit.

How many credits I will get if I don't use any referral and this is my second tesla?

The buyer from referral will always get the $500 and FSD. However 10,000 credit depends on situation. If someone uses your referral and they are a new tesla owner, then you get 10,000 credits. If someone uses your referral and they have a tesla already, you get no credit. If you buy another tesla (loyalty), you don’t get any credit as well. Best workaround if you have a significant other is to refer using new email and tesla account.

Reactions: vickh