Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh 2021 or wait for MIC model 3??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agree aren't the MIC SR+ now using the LFP batteries that are a bit of an unknown at present and have had some negative press:
Tesla Model 3 with LFP Battery Has a Cold and Range Problem | Torque News

Also since when were China making RHD vehicles? with Germany coming on line I am surprised that they would bother to re-tool china for RHD
It makes sense for China to make RHD vehicles, seeing as aside from us, the rest of the RHD markets are down that end of the world. I wouldn’t be surprised if Berlin sticks to only making LHD models.

The MIC cars will have higher build quality and probably fewer issues further down the line. Only refresh performance has the new higher density Panasonic cells, the LR Freemont cars use the LG ones.

I have LR refresh and a few issues they need to deal with. Nothing serious but given the option I would wait for a MIC version. And you won’t run risk of getting one built in the tent, which do seem to have build issues.

I’m not saying it’s incorrect, but I think this post needs a bit of fact checking, lol.

Agree aren't the MIC SR+ now using the LFP batteries that are a bit of an unknown at present and have had some negative press:
Tesla Model 3 with LFP Battery Has a Cold and Range Problem | Torque News

Also since when were China making RHD vehicles? with Germany coming on line I am surprised that they would bother to re-tool china for RHD

They first made an inventory appearance a few weeks back in U.K. and Ireland and reported by Tesla-info, a load more have appeared since. Not sure any have actually arrived yet.

There aren’t that many in Europe but I’ve seen a review of the MIC SR+ with screen shots in Switzerland and it didn’t look great. My logic is it’s only on the cheapest car but if the battery is as good if not better they’d use it on more models, but they don’t. I know there’s a weight/size issue making packaging difficult for the M3 but there’s zero suggestion this is the direction they’re heading in on models

They first made an inventory appearance a few weeks back in U.K. and Ireland and reported by Tesla-info, a load more have appeared since. Not sure any have actually arrived yet.

There aren’t that many in Europe but I’ve seen a review of the MIC SR+ with screen shots in Switzerland and it didn’t look great. My logic is it’s only on the cheapest car but if the battery is as good if not better they’d use it on more models, but they don’t. I know there’s a weight/size issue making packaging difficult for the M3 but there’s zero suggestion this is the direction they’re heading in on models
I think the LFP is too big and heavy to make a 70+ KWh battery suitable for an LR or P at present. It's cheaper though so if they are shipping to UK now in SR+ form price should be reduced. Longevity should be good. Just sucks in the cold.

UK is a pretty big market and have a tarif free deal with EU. That + distance may be enough to see UK RHD made in Germany.
Tariff free isn’t as simple as it sounds. If the raw materials used to make the item come from outside the EU (well, a certain % of them), then there are tariffs. For an EV, I’d imagine substantial raw materials are sourced from outside the EU.

But then, who knows what Tesla will do, in the future?

Is there actually any evidence other than anecdote to suggest this is true, or are we working on the assumption that literally any other production line will be better than the shed at Fremont.

Well nearly everything is anecdotal in some shape or form. I know people with MIC cars and they don’t seem to have any of the problems I have encountered on the two Fremont 3s I have owned.

Chinese are great at manufacturing stuff, so it is not unreasonable to think MIC are better. You can look at speed they’ve increased production to understand the plant is working well. There are lots of other anecdotal reports of better build on the MIC models. And I haven’t read anything about poor build or manufacturing problems. So my judgement based on available evidence, for what it is worth, is that they are better made.

The paint at the very least ought to be better on a MIC car, unless Tesla brought over it’s own “you have to paint these in a shed” standard operating procedure when setting up Giga Shanghai, which seems unlikely.

Most things on a Tesla can be fixed given enough time and energy, but respraying the car is something else.

I honestly wouldn’t expect anything better from a car manufacturing line from the same brand regardless of where it is. The tools and machinery will be the same and tooled to do the same job. The only variances will be any parts that are put on by hand and time taken to make sure things fall within tolerance. If the rush of getting cars out are the same as they have been for Tesla over in the US, which I would say may be many more orders. The advice will be the same (get the cars out as quick as possible to meet demand).

I have had a cheeseburger from many mc Donald’s around the world and none looked like the picture. Probably because it has to get to me in less than a minute. < This is a joke btw

Reactions: TBrownTX
I honestly wouldn’t expect anything better from a car manufacturing line from the same brand regardless of where it is. The tools and machinery will be the same and tooled to do the same job. The only variances will be any parts that are put on by hand and time taken to make sure things fall within tolerance. If the rush of getting cars out are the same as they have been for Tesla over in the US, which I would say may be many more orders. The advice will be the same (get the cars out as quick as possible to meet demand).

I had thought that paint issues were a result of environmental laws in California which you obviously would not expect to be as strict in China.

Paint issues like dust in or under the clearcoat, overspray, underspray, variable thickness, etc. For whatever reason the process for painting cars in Fremont seems to be more akin to an apprentice on a local trading estate having a go at it, rather than an industrial process with standards and practices.

Whilst I agree with the point made about processes being the same at different locations, I can imagine a "quality is measured in the skill of the craftsman" thing like paint, or even just attention to detail / work ethic, etc being different in Shanghai vs Fremont.

I'm definitely interested to hear about what the paint is like on MIC cars.

Reactions: Kenners
Picked up my Fremont M3 LR mid December. Apart from a blemish in the paint work (which Tesla repainted) the car has been great. I do feel that the paint is softer/thinner than the German cars I’ve owned as it seems easier do damage but so far I’m very happy with it.

Picked up my Fremont M3 LR mid December. Apart from a blemish in the paint work (which Tesla repainted) the car has been great. I do feel that the paint is softer/thinner than the German cars I’ve owned as it seems easier do damage but so far I’m very happy with it.
That's good to hear mate! There seems to be quite a few of you that picked up a Fremont refresh and they're actually fine. Funny what a forum does, understandably more people moan about something wrong that brag about how good their car is!

Reactions: GRiLLA
That's good to hear mate! There seems to be quite a few of you that picked up a Fremont refresh and they're actually fine. Funny what a forum does, understandably more people moan about something wrong that brag about how good their car is!

Yes forums are dangerous for scaremongering!

I now own 2 Fremont built Teslas without any significant issues. Even the paint (white multi-coat) is good. Actually have less stone chips on my 40k mile MX than my 30k mile Porsche, both driven on same roads, same speed range.

Hey,

I've got a refresh 2021 (made in Freemont) model 3 due for delivery next week.
I've currently got the option to take that, or move the order to a MIC model and wait another 5/6 weeks.

I've seen a lot of people have issues with the recent refresh models. Such as heating sensors etc.

Is there anyone on the forum that picked up a refreshed Model 3 that's absolutely fine? Or just normal teething issues?

I want to put my mind at rest! Haha

Thanks
Get the MIC car 100%. My brother has a Fremont P3 and my brother in law a MIC LR. The Chinese car is by far and away the better built. Better overall and the paint is in a different class to the Fremont car. Just my opinion mind having driven both back to back and owning a model s for three years. The Fremont P3 is the lesser car to the Model S 2017 75D I own but the MIC is a better car than them both. I have a new P3 on order, hopefully made in China. They’re quality control is better I feel. Anyway just my opinion.