Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Map Auto-Center/Auto Zooms with 2023.6.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Recently, I think 2023.6.8, Tesla changed the map to automatically recenter on the vehicle when not navigating. I find this infuriating. Even worse, when navigating it won't let you change the zoom level, and resets it to some stupid zoom level whenever it feels like it.

Has anyone figured out how to change this? There used to be +/- buttons that you could use and it would respect but they went away a long time ago. Why can't it just leave it the way I set it.

I'm beginning to hate OTA's, my car is so much crappier now than when I got it.
1. I agree. It drives me crazy that I can't have an option to position or zoom the map the way I want it and have it stick.
2. I also miss the +/- buttons on the screen for zooming.
3. How about an option to make the right scroll button on the steering wheel control the zoom level (and then have it stay!).

1. I agree. It drives me crazy that I can't have an option to position or zoom the map the way I want it and have it stick.
2. I also miss the +/- buttons on the screen for zooming.
3. How about an option to make the right scroll button on the steering wheel control the zoom level (and then have it stay!).
As far as zooming, just tap the screen the number of zoom levels to zoom in. Easier than + - buttons.

Nice thought. So I tried what you suggested. But it keeps zooming in until you can't zoom in any more and it just stops there. It wouldn't zoom back out after reaching that limit.
But back to my main problem - the lack of a sticky zoom and map positioning. I just want the option to turn off auto-zooming (either all the time or just when I have made a change during a drive).

That’s easy, and is a built in feature. Once you establish a navigation destination, if your “swipe down” on the turn-by-turn list on the screen, it will show the full route and will auto zoom as you get closer to your destination. If you swipe up or leave turn-by-turn as the short list, it will zoom in on your immediate surroundings and sort of zoom in and out along your route so that you can see detail. So…there are really two modes and to me it’s the perfect setup.
Yes the two modes when you have a navigation destination are reasonable. But the autocentering when navigation is off is NOT. This is a recent development, and a very annoying one.

Reactions: AudiA4
Yes the two modes when you have a navigation destination are reasonable. But the autocentering when navigation is off is NOT. This is a recent development, and a very annoying one.
Yes! We need the option to turn off auto-centering and auto-zooming; especially when we are not using the navigation destination. But even then, I want to set the zoom and center myself if I want. Make it stop.....

I have figured out a workaround! From Model S owner's manual:
Drop a pin anywhere on the map by pressing and holding your finger on a desired location. When you drop a pin, or touch an existing pin, the chosen location is centered on the map and a popup screen provides information about the location. From this popup, you can navigate to the location..
A few weeks ago we noticed if you put a blue pin on the map but do NOT navigate to it, the recentering is disabled. The problem was that if you tap a point of interest, the entire left side of the vertical map will be consumed by detail descriptions of that place. If you put a pin on some random place on the map, its address will be displayed just in the upper left corner of the map so you have plenty of room to manipulate the map to display what you want, for example:
...zoom out and move the map to show the freeways near my destination about 60 miles away so I can plan my drive accordingly.
Unfortunately we would tap the map repeatedly and have difficulty setting a pin. So tonight I found that owner's manual quote and realized you have to HOLD your finger on the map a few seconds to get the blue pin mark. I tested this 3x in my garage just now, worked each time!

If I had browsed TMC threads more thoroughly, I would have found that some one else figured this out back in June.

Last edited:
Yes, that workaround did eliminate the recentering/rezooming. Thanks for the tip!
Not an elegant or obvious fix, but it worked. Hopefully Tesla will change their software at some point to turn off all this auto changing stuff. Or, at least make it an option to do so.