Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic settings on windshield wipe when on auto pilot (problem worse)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023 Y Standard AWD

I thought the recent software update corrected the ongoing issue of wipers turning on when you put the car in auto pilot.
Now it's even worse. I had the wipers on OFF but when I use auto pilot, it automatically switches to auto-on. Even if I turn it off, it goes right back to auto-on.
Anyone having the same issue?

Reactions: zroger73
Babyduke, the change was to simply allow you to turn the auto wipers off when autopilot is engaged. That's it. They still default to on when you engage autopilot. You will need to turn them off each time you engage autopilot if they don't work right.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: andaconda
The change was to simply allow you to turn the auto wipers off when autopilot is engaged. That's it. They still default to on when you engage autopilot. You will need to turn them off each time you engage autopilot if they don't work right.
The change I was referring to is this one: Tesla auto wipers are about to get an update to fix their subpar performance.

Which build lets you turn off auto wipers when using AP? Don’t think I have that yet, sounds like the OP doesn’t either.

Babyduke, the change was to simply allow you to turn the auto wipers off when autopilot is engaged. That's it. They still default to on when you engage autopilot. You will need to turn them off each time you engage autopilot if they don't work right.
I tried. If autopilot is on, you cannot manually turn off the auto wiper. Even if I touch wiper off, it goes right back to autowipe as long as autopilot is engaged.

2023 Y Standard AWD

I thought the recent software update corrected the ongoing issue of wipers turning on when you put the car in auto pilot.
Now it's even worse. I had the wipers on OFF but when I use auto pilot, it automatically switches to auto-on. Even if I turn it off, it goes right back to auto-on.
Anyone having the same issue?
I am okay with the wipers on with auto pilot. Where it fails is the wipers activate when using auto pilot. Even when the sun is shining and no hint of moisture on the windshield. I don't want the wipers running over a dry and maybe dusty windshield. I have taken to keeping the controls screen open always, I know we can do this with voice commands, but that interrupts radio or conversation with passengers. Keeping controls open really disrupts things if you are using nav.

Reactions: Volleyballmom
'23 Model Y purchased in April 2023. From delivery day with 2022.x software to February 21, 2024 through many updates, the auto wipers worked 99% as well as my other vehicles with auto wipers. In 2024.2.2.1, the wipers started wiping when dry. The problem became much worse in 2024.2.7. Prior to 2024.2.2.1, I always left the wipers in auto mode. Since then, I now have to keep the wipers off and avoid using TACC or turn the wipers off every time I engage TACC (and cross my fingers that they don't wipe during the time it takes to engage TACC then touch the screen twice to turn them off).

I don't want the wipers to work better - I just want them to work as well as they did for the first 10 months of ownership before Tesla broke them with a recent update. These dry wipes are annoying, unnerving, damaging, and embarrassing. If Tesla can't figure out how to make the auto wipers work reasonably well, then they need to allow me to turn them off completely without them reverting to auto each time TACC is engaged.

I'm confident the auto wipers will never work as well as other vehicles with auto wipers because Tesla no longer uses dedicated rain sensors. Instead, they are trying to use existing cameras that are focused on what is in front of the vehicle - not what is on the surface of the windshield - to detect rain. Because the cameras as so close to the windshield and because of the focus distance and depth of field, rain only results in slight optical distortions that are incredibly difficult to detect under such a variety of lighting and background conditions and rainfall patterns and amounts.

All other automakers (and older Teslas) use a reliable sensor that shines infrared light inside the surface of the windshield at a 45º angle and measures the amount of light reflected back. Water on the windshield causes some of this light to scatter resulting in less reflected back which is how they detect rain. Tesla wanted to save $3 per vehicle by eliminating this sensor.

Reactions: chuanren20
'23 Model Y purchased in April 2023. From delivery day with 2022.x software to February 21, 2024 through many updates, the auto wipers worked 99% as well as my other vehicles with auto wipers. In 2024.2.2.1, the wipers started wiping when dry. The problem became much worse in 2024.2.7. Prior to 2024.2.2.1, I always left the wipers in auto mode. Since then, I now have to keep the wipers off and avoid using TACC or turn the wipers off every time I engage TACC (and cross my fingers that they don't wipe during the time it takes to engage TACC then touch the screen twice to turn them off).

I don't want the wipers to work better - I just want them to work as well as they did for the first 10 months of ownership before Tesla broke them with a recent update. These dry wipes are annoying, unnerving, damaging, and embarrassing. If Tesla can't figure out how to make the auto wipers work reasonably well, then they need to allow me to turn them off completely without them reverting to auto each time TACC is engaged.

I'm confident the auto wipers will never work as well as other vehicles with auto wipers because Tesla no longer uses dedicated rain sensors. Instead, they are trying to use existing cameras that are focused on what is in front of the vehicle - not what is on the surface of the windshield - to detect rain. Because the cameras as so close to the windshield and because of the focus distance and depth of field, rain only results in slight optical distortions that are incredibly difficult to detect under such a variety of lighting and background conditions and rainfall patterns and amounts.

All other automakers (and older Teslas) use a reliable sensor that shines infrared light inside the surface of the windshield at a 45º angle and measures the amount of light reflected back. Water on the windshield causes some of this light to scatter resulting in less reflected back which is how they detect rain. Tesla wanted to save $3 per vehicle by eliminating this sensor.
Yes, I am having the same issue and it is getting WORSE!!!

Latest FSD wipers are fixed. Best ever.
Mine were "fixed" and the "best ever" from April 2023 to February 2024. I thought others (including my brother-in-law) who complained about their auto wiper operation were crazy - I couldn't relate since mine worked almost perfectly...until 2024.2.2.1 ruined them. I hoped 2024.2.7 would revert them to their previous functionality, but it only got worse - much worse.

I've been impatiently waiting for another update, but it has now been a month and a week since my last update - the longest since I've owned the vehicle (on average, I've gotten updates every 12-1/2 days).

I'm not holding my breath - I've heard "fixed" and "best ever" before - only for time to prove otherwise. I try to be optimistic about this stuff, but reality tries its hardest to beat me down. :)

Mine were "fixed" and the "best ever" from April 2023 to February 2024. I thought others (including my brother-in-law) who complained about their auto wiper operation were crazy - I couldn't relate since mine worked almost perfectly...until 2024.2.2.1 ruined them. I hoped 2024.2.7 would revert them to their previous functionality, but it only got worse - much worse.

I've been impatiently waiting for another update, but it has now been a month and a week since my last update - the longest since I've owned the vehicle (on average, I've gotten updates every 12-1/2 days).

I'm not holding my breath - I've heard "fixed" and "best ever" before - only for time to prove otherwise. I try to be optimistic about this stuff, but reality tries its hardest to beat me down. :)
Update:, downloaded 2024.3.6. Went for a drive, 106 miles. Many uses of of Auto Pilot and Auto steer. Wiper setting changed to auto many times, not one unintended activation of wipers. Maybe Tesla has this fixed,