Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Automatic settings on windshield wipe when on auto pilot (problem worse)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious, have you installed the newest update and it still fails?
Both of our cars are on 2024.8.7. They both still regularly wipe perfectly dry windshields (making a smeary mess when they do) and will happily sit for ages doing nothing at all when it’s actually raining.

I’ve long ago accepted the fact that this vision-based rain detection feature is trash (was lucky enough to buy a Model S in 2016 right after they switched over). They’ve had 8 years to fix it at this point - it’s not gonna happen.

All I want is the ability to have them stay OFF so I can do my own wiping.

Both of our cars are on 2024.8.7. They both still regularly wipe perfectly dry windshields (making a smeary mess when they do) and will happily sit for ages doing nothing at all when it’s actually raining.

I’ve long ago accepted the fact that this vision-based rain detection feature is trash (was lucky enough to buy a Model S in 2016 right after they switched over). They’ve had 8 years to fix it at this point - it’s not gonna happen.

All I want is the ability to have them stay OFF so I can do my own wiping.
SO Wrong, Sorry to hear about your experience.

Update:, downloaded 2024.3.6. Went for a drive, 106 miles. Many uses of of Auto Pilot and Auto steer. Wiper setting changed to auto many times, not one unintended activation of wipers. Maybe Tesla has this fixed,
Same. I drove around most of the morning and this afternoon using the FSD 12.3.2.1 free trial after updating from 2024.2.7 to 2024.3.6 and the wipers did not "dry wipe" a single time.

Tried FSD for the first time yesterday. During the day there was no wiper issue. However, during the night time driving they activated almost every time we activated FSD. My wife gave up and said she is not trying FSD in the night anymore. Absolutely clear sky and there was not a drop of rain. Our theory is that the lights coming from the oncoming cars might be triggering it somehow. Maybe the fancy cameras think them as drops of water? Not sure what to say. If Elon wants people to buy this FSD for $12,000 he better fix these wipers otherwise this is really a very bad advertisement for FSD. Why can't they fix the wipers for god's sake? My 24 year Old Mercedes had auto wipers and in those 24 years they never ever fired accidently even once. So no idea why this is so difficult. Clearly this brings very low confidence in the so called FSD.

• Love
Reactions: zroger73
Not really, mine still goes crazy like before. Can't disable auto mode when using FSD, very annoying!
As of earlier this year or late last year, you can now turn the wipers off while using TACC, Autosteer, or Full Self-Driving, but you have to do so every time you engage one of those features since doing to sets the wipers to auto.

As of FSD 12.3.2.1, my vehicle will now drive me to work with ZERO interventions (as a subscriber to FSD 11 last year, I'm still in disbelief), yet the vehicle can't keep the wipers from scraping a dry windshield on a sunny day. Tesla has some strange priorities. :)

I've now gone maybe 500 miles on 12.3, and now 12.3.3. I've had one dry wipe, though it may well have had a drop or two because it started raining harder within a few minutes.
The experience with FSD is different enough that I'm leaving my hands in my lap instead of dragging on the wheel, and either touching the wheel with my knee in corners or giving the wheel a wiggle when prompted.

As of earlier this year or late last year, you can now turn the wipers off while using TACC, Autosteer, or Full Self-Driving, but you have to do so every time you engage one of those features since doing to sets the wipers to auto.

As of FSD 12.3.2.1, my vehicle will now drive me to work with ZERO interventions (as a subscriber to FSD 11 last year, I'm still in disbelief), yet the vehicle can't keep the wipers from scraping a dry windshield on a sunny day. Tesla has some strange priorities. :)
I think people are implying that the turn off feature is broken or it keeps coming back on by itself. I'm just got an update a few days ago and it seems to work fine for me.