Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Map Auto-Center/Auto Zooms with 2023.6.8

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jaguar36

Apr 10, 2014
NJ
Recently, I think 2023.6.8, Tesla changed the map to automatically recenter on the vehicle when not navigating. I find this infuriating. Even worse, when navigating it won't let you change the zoom level, and resets it to some stupid zoom level whenever it feels like it.

Has anyone figured out how to change this? There used to be +/- buttons that you could use and it would respect but they went away a long time ago. Why can't it just leave it the way I set it.

I'm beginning to hate OTA's, my car is so much crappier now than when I got it.

Recently, I think 2023.6.8, Tesla changed the map to automatically recenter on the vehicle when not navigating. I find this infuriating. Even worse, when navigating it won't let you change the zoom level, and resets it to some stupid zoom level whenever it feels like it.

Has anyone figured out how to change this? There used to be +/- buttons that you could use and it would respect but they went away a long time ago. Why can't it just leave it the way I set it.

I noticed the same thing. I'll test out a few things and see if I can get the zoom setting to stay.

I just upgraded to MCU2 on my 2014 Model S 60. I love the waypoint option in the map, but i wish we could alphabetize our favorite destinations. It's in chronological order and that's a pain.

Reactions: Typhoon43

I noticed that too a while back. I was able to get it to stay to my desired zoom level by using voice commands to zoom in/out. I am now on a more recent version, 2023.12.5, and it seems to have the same behavior. I got used to using the voice commands so I don't really use pinch to zoom anymore. Hopefully voice commands will work for you too.

You can zoom in by double clicking the map, the more clicks the more zoom. Also, I know you can recenter the map by tapping the compass on the right side, but I don't know how to make it hold a position and zoom you set.
It doesn't respect this while navigating and will go back to its preferred zoom level after a few seconds.
I noticed that too a while back. I was able to get it to stay to my desired zoom level by using voice commands to zoom in/out. I am now on a more recent version, 2023.12.5, and it seems to have the same behavior. I got used to using the voice commands so I don't really use pinch to zoom anymore. Hopefully voice commands will work for you too
Same as above, after a few seconds it will go back to whatever it feels like.

• Disagree
Reactions: Evee
I agree this is very frustrating. Every morning and evening on my commute, I would zoom out and move the map to show the freeways near my destination about 60 miles away so I could plan my drive accordingly. Now as soon as I move the map, after a few seconds it just zooms back into my current location, which is useless to me. I have found if I use the voice commands it will zoom out as long as I keep it centered, but then (a) the portion of the map I want to see is only in a tiny quarter of the screen, and (b) after a few minutes it still zooms back in.

The primary reason I purchased premium connectivity was to see traffic during my commute at certain places on the freeways.

Why won't the map just stay where we put it????? UGH!!

Reactions: Ami-Sven and jdvm3
I agree this is very frustrating. Every morning and evening on my commute, I would zoom out and move the map to show the freeways near my destination about 60 miles away so I could plan my drive accordingly. Now as soon as I move the map, after a few seconds it just zooms back into my current location, which is useless to me. I have found if I use the voice commands it will zoom out as long as I keep it centered, but then (a) the portion of the map I want to see is only in a tiny quarter of the screen, and (b) after a few minutes it still zooms back in.

The primary reason I purchased premium connectivity was to see traffic during my commute at certain places on the freeways.

I hate this map version so much!!

Reactions: Ami-Sven

Agreed!!

Tesla SW is just crap. I want to zoom out a little bit during navigation so I can see the up comeing turnS. Not just the immediate turn. I keep pinch zoom out and voice command "zoom out". 5 seconds later, it zoomed back in to show me the road that I can see with my eyes which is going straight.
It's like staring at a giant middle finger.
I have never been angry driving a car in my life. Somehow buying my first EV (car of the future) got me upset while driving...
"It's just an OTA SW change away from being fixed. Isn't this great! No other car companies can do this" Yeah, and it can screw up again on the next OTA SW upgrade.
Owning a Tesla with SW changes is like constantly watching over your shoulder from the IRS with an audit. This is the type of unnecessary stress I don't need in my life. "Life is like a box of chocolate. You'll never know what you're going to get!"

"Just don't upgrade your SW if you are bothered by it so much!"
Yeah, you are right. It's my fault. I should've read the release note before upgrade. What? This change is not in the release note? NO WAY!!! Tesla would never do that...

Reactions: fc12
After 3 years, this month, I have succumbed to unfinished and erratic infotainment and auto drive functions. They will be the way Tesla programs and/or patches them. Sometimes something will get better and then get screwed up again. In any event, I find the car fun to drive and pretty solid.

The latest software update seems to fix this issue. Thank god!

Attachments

• IMG_3125.jpeg
    IMG_3125.jpeg
    586.8 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_3124.jpeg
    IMG_3124.jpeg
    696.1 KB · Views: 87
Reactions: DerbyDave
I’ve only had my 2022 Model S for a month. Normally that type of navigation behavior drives me nuts, but under navigation, I’ve discovered that there are two modes to view, depending on if you swipe down and increase the turn-by-turn summary (and by doing so, it shows the whole route).

I do have that newest software update, so I’ll check it out tomorrow, but I thought under NON navigation, that you could set the zoom to whatever level you want, though it would auto-center (which makes sense).

I do have that newest software update, so I’ll check it out tomorrow, but I thought under NON navigation, that you could set the zoom to whatever level you want, though it would auto-center (which makes sense).
Anybody discover whether there's a way to set the zoom to where you want?

I don't want auto-center either, I want to zoom out with my destination on-screen in one corner, and my current location in another. Like, oh, every single other map/navigation app I have on my phone. If I want it to center, the button does it. It seems to have no useful function now.

Anybody discover whether there's a way to set the zoom to where you want?

I don't want auto-center either, I want to zoom out with my destination on-screen in one corner, and my current location in another. Like, oh, every single other map/navigation app I have on my phone. If I want it to center, the button does it. It seems to have no useful function now.
That’s easy, and is a built in feature. Once you establish a navigation destination, if your “swipe down” on the turn-by-turn list on the screen, it will show the full route and will auto zoom as you get closer to your destination. If you swipe up or leave turn-by-turn as the short list, it will zoom in on your immediate surroundings and sort of zoom in and out along your route so that you can see detail. So…there are really two modes and to me it’s the perfect setup.

My 2014 doesn't have navigation. It just shows a map. I still like seeing the map zoomed out because I can see traffic, but it doesn't stay. Presumably because I don't have a navigation destination set, because I can't.

It used to work. My guess is that they changed the way it worked when actual navigation is used, and now when nav isn't used (or in my case, isn't available) took away the ability to keep the zoom level.

My 2014 doesn't have navigation. It just shows a map. I still like seeing the map zoomed out because I can see traffic, but it doesn't stay. Presumably because I don't have a navigation destination set, because I can't.

It used to work. My guess is that they changed the way it worked when actual navigation is used, and now when nav isn't used (or in my case, isn't available) took away the ability to keep the zoom level.
So Navigation was an option and not standard at one time? That’s super odd given the fact that you have access to the map.

Yes, it was a $5000 option that came with other features, some software-only, some hardware (like rear hatch lift and, believe it or not, parking sensors, which I also do not have).

But all cars have the map, and it includes locations for Superchargers, which is useful of course. Or used to be, when I could zoom out to where I could see one on the map, and navigate on my own to it.

This is typical of Tesla in my experience; if you didn't opt for the more expensive features (some of which included software), then the software you do have degrades release-by-release because they forget there are people who don't have them all. For example, one day my access to a tire pressure display just went away. I still have tire pressure sensors (indeed, a new $2k controller for such, as it became waterlogged during the last rainy season), but I can't tell what my tire pressures actually are any more, unlike on my 2006 Jeep. I still get low-pressure alerts though, yay.

Reactions: AudiA4
2023.26.7 seems to revert back to zoom at fixed level even if you are not navigating. This is so crappy. I might've figured out what caused this. It's the "default" state. If you change the map view (doesn't matter how) that caused the upper right corner "N" symbol to go from solid black to gray, then it'll auto zoom in 5 seconds later. It's Tesla's ctrl-alt-del. When it can't keep track of the zoom state, then it gives you the 3 finger solute. I could be able to slowly zoom out to see the whole state as long as I keep my car in the middle of the screen constantly, ie keep the N symbol solid color. The zoom level sticks in this delicate operations.
If I pan the view slightly where my car is no longer in the center (N symbol turns gray), it auto zooms way back in within seconds.
Shouldn't that N symbol mean auto center your car? It ended up changing zoom level as well. Go figure...