Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S driver’s seat creaking.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been slowly fixing all the seat creaking sounds myself. It's my observation that majority of the sounds came from the seat back and/or its interaction w/ other seat components. Good news is you can actually remove the seat back cover and hunt down the noises yourself.

So how did I do it? I read the service manual and then mostly applied common sense. You have to open the seat back cover, and get a big roll of felt tape (from Amazon or wherever) and put it wherever it's needed. It's a trial and error process.

To open the seat back cover you just need to remove the headrest, and that's the hard part. Basically you have to release two pins to free the headrest. The video below is helpful. In practice though, I found releasing the pins from the FRONT (as opposed to from the back as shown in the video) is actually easier. From the front is what the Service Manual recommended as well.

It's definitely harder than removing the 3 headrest - let me know if anyone needs any further tips removing the headrest. The first time it was hard for me (and on my fingers); now I can do it within a couple of minutes.

Lastly, I only put the headrest back on 95% of the way (right before it gets lock down by the pins again), this way I still have functional headrest, while I can continue to hunt down noises. I will snap it back in all the way only when I am absolutely sure all creaks are gone (or when I finally give up). There is still one stubborn creaking remaining on turns that drives me crazy. Today I drove w/ the seatback down to confirm that it is the seatback issue.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Reactions: KB498
I've been slowly fixing all the seat creaking sounds myself. It's my observation that majority of the sounds came from the seat back and/or its interaction w/ other seat components. Good news is you can actually remove the seat back cover and hunt down the noises yourself.

So how did I do it? I read the service manual and then mostly applied common sense. You have to open the seat back cover, and get a big roll of felt tape (from Amazon or wherever) and put it wherever it's needed. It's a trial and error process.

To open the seat back cover you just need to remove the headrest, and that's the hard part. Basically you have to release two pins to free the headrest. The video below is helpful. In practice though, I found releasing the pins from the FRONT (as opposed to from the back as shown in the video) is actually easier. From the front is what the Service Manual recommended as well.

It's definitely harder than removing the 3 headrest - let me know if anyone needs any further tips removing the headrest. The first time it was hard for me (and on my fingers); now I can do it within a couple of minutes.

Lastly, I only put the headrest back on 95% of the way (right before it gets lock down by the pins again), this way I still have functional headrest, while I can continue to hunt down noises. I will snap it back in all the way only when I am absolutely sure all creaks are gone (or when I finally give up). There is still one stubborn creaking remaining on turns that drives me crazy. Today I drove w/ the seatback down to confirm that it is the seatback issue.

To be continued...

Thanks again for posting this. My headrest came off easily and didn’t appear to be held in by any rings. The seat back was then an easy remove. It appears I isolated my creak to the back left corner. The metal in this region is rather flexible and in continuity with some type of motor. I can reproduce the sound with accel/decel in the region but i can’t seem to stop it. Additionally, I can’t see what else I can easily take apart. Does anyone have ideas ?
Pictures attached.

Attachments

• 4B454411-6ED0-424A-9C49-54C01C2D10AF.jpeg
    4B454411-6ED0-424A-9C49-54C01C2D10AF.jpeg
    471.5 KB · Views: 660
  • B62BE27A-1624-4CDA-ABF0-D51F0FAEA025.jpeg
    B62BE27A-1624-4CDA-ABF0-D51F0FAEA025.jpeg
    532.8 KB · Views: 259
  • Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Thanks again for posting this. My headrest came off easily and didn’t appear to be held in by any rings. The seat back was then an easy remove. It appears I isolated my creak to the back left corner. The metal in this region is rather flexible and in continuity with some type of motor. I can reproduce the sound with accel/decel in the region but i can’t seem to stop it. Additionally, I can’t see what else I can easily take apart. Does anyone have ideas ?
Pictures attached.
Good info. Do you have a video of the sound, for logging?

I’m currently tackling a lower back left corner in my drivers seat too. But oddly enough mine only happens when decelerating and shifting weight forward, it’s related to a rattle too.

If I raise the seat and lower it back, it will go away and then come back eventually. It’s also unrelated to seat height.

My first guess is the left side seat belt anchor (Model X), there is a steel cable that runs down into the seat frame. I am not sure if this is present on the S. There is metal stop on the cable that’s squeezed on, and there is metal on metal contact there. I will find out tomorrow.

• Informative
Ok, the rattling is unrelated to the Model S, but I believe I have cured the creaking in my seats (shared with S)

I used felt tape and a medium oil (gun oil to be specific), anything that has staying power and is made to reduce friction for metal/metal contact will work. Grease may not be a good idea as you cannot take advantage of capillary action, which the oil does to travel to places down/up the area of contact.

These 2 images illustrate where I placed oil and where I placed tape. If you cannot see the tape, it means it's behind the plastic, where there is potential for plastic/plastic contact.
IMG_9329.jpg

IMG_9330.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: KB498 and WilliamG
Ok, the rattling is unrelated to the Model S, but I believe I have cured the creaking in my seats (shared with S)

I used felt tape and a medium oil (gun oil to be specific), anything that has staying power and is made to reduce friction for metal/metal contact will work. Grease may not be a good idea as you cannot take advantage of capillary action, which the oil does to travel to places down/up the area of contact.

These 2 images illustrate where I placed oil and where I placed tape. If you cannot see the tape, it means it's behind the plastic, where there is potential for plastic/plastic contact.
View attachment 828680

View attachment 828681
Great work. Thanks for posting. Apparently the refresh model X and S seats are identical per my mobile service rep. I spent a few minutes today and the creaking does appear primarily with braking and associated/in the region of the metal on metal seat belt pull. It’s SOOO hard to isolate these sounds. And my two children aren’t great helpers and my wife says she can’t hear any thing. I think they all plot against me. Regardless, I’m giving your suggestions a go tomorrow. Thanks!!

Great work. Thanks for posting. Apparently the refresh model X and S seats are identical per my mobile service rep. I spent a few minutes today and the creaking does appear primarily with braking and associated/in the region of the metal on metal seat belt pull. It’s SOOO hard to isolate these sounds. And my two children aren’t great helpers and my wife says she can’t hear any thing. I think they all plot against me. Regardless, I’m giving your suggestions a go tomorrow. Thanks!!
I’m fairly sure we have some level of OCD my friend.

Reactions: KB498
I was at the SC the other day and mentioned mine was creaking. They popped it apart and tightened something in the lumbar area - now rock solid.
I recommend you PM your Service Center and the invoice number for your fix, to those folks here that are reporting this problem. Maybe, their SC staff can contact your SC staff and identify the fix and apply it to other cars. Please.

Interesting info, but if it does it (like it does for me) when when my seat belt is not on…, I guess I’m looking elsewhere!

Alrighty - update for all you creakers. Showed Tesla service the issue, and they tightened the following bolts for me, tested by me - creak is gone (at least for now, as it was creaking 100% of the time). Doubtless not all these bolts are the problem, but...

Here are the pictures of the bolts while they had the seat control panel off (thankfully they showed me the locations before buttoning her back up). They did not need to remove the seat or seat back. You'll want to tighten the "mirror image" bolts on the seat rails, too, of course. Took the guy about 15 mins total (most of it was popping off the seat controls trim, but you really may not even need to do that at all!). Good luck, guys!

Attachments

• IMG_4682.jpeg
    IMG_4682.jpeg
    366.5 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_4681.jpeg
    IMG_4681.jpeg
    582.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_4680.jpeg
    IMG_4680.jpeg
    444.4 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_4679.jpeg
    IMG_4679.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_4678.jpeg
    IMG_4678.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_4683.jpeg
    IMG_4683.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 223
Alrighty - update for all you creakers. Showed Tesla service the issue, and they tightened the following bolts for me, tested by me - creak is gone (at least for now, as it was creaking 100% of the time). Doubtless not all these bolts are the problem, but...

Here are the pictures of the bolts while they had the seat control panel off (thankfully they showed me the locations before buttoning her back up). They did not need to remove the seat or seat back. You'll want to tighten the "mirror image" bolts on the seat rails, too, of course. Took the guy about 15 mins total (most of it was popping off the seat controls trim, but you really may not even need to do that at all!). Good luck, guys!
That would do it! I just went to check my bolts (except for the one behind the plastic side cover, they were all very much torqued down - which can explain why we have different noises.

You definitely do need to pop off the seat controls trim. You can see the bolt, but there's not enough space to fit a tool in there for that bolt. Popping off the trim takes some effort. It's on there very securely.

That would do it! I just went to check my bolts (except for the one behind the plastic side cover, they were all very much torqued down - which can explain why we have different noises.

You definitely do need to pop off the seat controls trim. You can see the bolt, but there's not enough space to fit a tool in there for that bolt. Popping off the trim takes some effort. It's on there very securely.
Good thing I personally didn’t need to remove that trim eh? I’d have lost my mind if it were tricky, hah! My bolts were also “tight” but there can be even the slightest bit of tolerance at play here to cause a creak.

Not trying to derail but how well do model S interiors tend to hold up rattle wise over time? My 22 is absolutely silent inside. Im extremely surprised how well the interior is put together with not a single creak or rattle. Can i expect this to maintain long term?

Not trying to derail but how well do model S interiors tend to hold up rattle wise over time? My 22 is absolutely silent inside. Im extremely surprised how well the interior is put together with not a single creak or rattle. Can i expect this to maintain long term?
Wait for the winter. Different temps different rattles. My 3 is pretty good after 3 years. The 2013 loaner S I had a couple years ago was also good.