Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refresh Model S XM Radio no audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @DerbyDave
Seems on Channel 1 Preview I have audio, but none of the others, and that's because there is no active subscription for this car.

I called to activate one and the car doesnt pull up for the VIN and I cannot figure out how to get the Radio ID. They said to go to channel 0 but I cant find a way to input a channel number - any idea on how to get the Radio ID?

You can reactivate a radio by your account phone number, VIN or Radio ID at: SiriusXM

After selecting SiriusXM, you can find your radio ID under Categories. You may have to scroll to the right with the icons on this item, unless it is displayed in a list. It is the last item.

Last edited:
I couldn’t activate mine online and had to call them. They had to transfer me to different people before they figured out how to make it work.

I thought car had a XM antenna but seems like it’s just a streaming app. Today I couldn’t listen to XM on my way to work, it kept dropping on/off constantly. I wish it was antenna based XM radio.

I couldn’t activate mine online and had to call them. They had to transfer me to different people before they figured out how to make it work.

I thought car had a XM antenna but seems like it’s just a streaming app. Today I couldn’t listen to XM on my way to work, it kept dropping on/off constantly. I wish it was antenna based XM radio.
The Model S, including the 2021, has a XM antenna near the junction of the rear window and rear crossmember on the roof. You have a RadioID, thus it is not streaming, it is being received by that radio.

I see, I am surprised why the reception was so bad on Tesla. I was in a very clear area where XM works just fine in my Acura.
Tesla just got the XM radio working on the 2021 Model S, so yours may take a day to get going. Also, if you continue to have bad reception, try to do a radio refresh using the link I posted previously in this thread. If you haven't rebooted your Tesla, also try that by holding down the two scroll button on the steering wheel until the screens go dark. You may have an antenna issue or something else if it doesn't straighten out. If you open up a service ticket using the app, they can usually see what is happening remotely and possibly fix it. The antenna and reception should be very good. There are not many complaints on this board of poor signal reception.

Reactions: DX-MS21
Ok so I called XM and had them activate my radio ID for the free 3 months. No dice. At first the "preview" channel
wouldn't play any sound and now it does. But any of the other channels don't play. I've refreshed the radio
from the car and from the website several times.

Calling XM for this is not an option as dealing with their customer service is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Especially
when she said "sir I am not familiar with Tesla".

It seems there's no way to tune any partcular channel by number either, like you normally would.

Hum.....

It seems there's no way to tune any partcular channel by number either, like you normally would.

Hum.....
About 9 months ago, you could tune to a channel by number. Now, the only solution is to get to another channel close to it, and use the right or left arrows to scroll down or up to the channel you want. When there are special seasonal channels added, this was an issue. Next degradation was when the icons would appear or disappear. Now, on my radio, "Recents" would be displayed and you could not reach "Favorites" unless you minimized XM and then brought it back up. I like to have Favorites always displayed. This can't be done now. Besides the tuning to a channel by number, the same features come and go with each update sometimes working and then next update not working again.

When the Plaids came out, XM wouldn't work at all for them. Now it more or less works, if you can get it at all. Most of the time this is a software issue. Sometimes it takes a day or two for Tesla to notify SiriusXM that a new car is sold, so they have no record from Tesla to activate the service. XM is probably just a bit further in the development cycle than Full Self Driving, but not by much.

Watch the attached video. Does anyone else have this issue on XM (2021 refreshed MS). This happens every time and everywhere and on all channels. Even at the Tesla's Rockville SC parking lot. XM is basically unusable. I rebooted the car multiple times, didn't help.

It looks like you are in a valley surrounded by hills and trees in this video. If you are not near a city where SiriusXM also broadcasts by land transmitters, the trees and hills are likely blocking the satellites. You say this happens everywhere, though. On my 2020 S, if you select the channel to view its information and what is playing, there is a signal strength bar on the left side on the icon with the station. You could look at this and at least figure out if it is a loss of signal issue when the drop-outs occur or some other issue. If you haven't sent a refresh signal from Sirius to your radio, try that. SiriusXM

It looks like you are in a valley surrounded by hills and trees in this video. If you are not near a city where SiriusXM also broadcasts by land transmitters, the trees and hills are likely blocking the satellites. You say this happens everywhere, though. On my 2020 S, if you select the channel to view its information and what is playing, there is a signal strength bar on the left side on the icon with the station. You could look at this and at least figure out if it is a loss of signal issue when the drop-outs occur or some other issue. If you haven't sent a refresh signal from Sirius to your radio, try that. SiriusXM

My office is right across from Rockville SC, very clear and open area and still have the same issue. I will check 2021 S has a signal meter.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Also, the antenna is under the glass along the crossmember to the hatch and roof, I think on the driver's side. Make sure there is nothing but factory glass and no obstructions here. It looks like this is OK from the reflection shown in your video.

Thanks @DerbyDave
Seems on Channel 1 Preview I have audio, but none of the others, and that's because there is no active subscription for this car.

I called to activate one and the car doesnt pull up for the VIN and I cannot figure out how to get the Radio ID. They said to go to channel 0 but I cant find a way to input a channel number - any idea on how to get the Radio ID?
To find your radio ID, press the SiriusXM button and at the top there is the Subscription button. Once pressed you’ll see your radio ID

My 5 year old model S keeps losing the Sirius XM connection. I can do the refresh action from the car radio or call XM. In either case it takes multiple times for the refresh to work. This occurs about every 3-4 weeks. Reception seems OK. Don’t remember having this issue until Tesla removed the Sirius XM tab from my radio and then replaced it sometime within the past 12 months. Any thoughts? Is this really an antenna problem?