Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Automatic wipers were perfected back in the early 2000's and Tesla saw that and was like you're not my mom you can't tell me what to do and did it completely backwards and wrong

Also, I don't remember an outcry about auto-wipers or auto-headlights, for instance, because when the legacy OEM's did it, they made sure it actually worked before they sold it...lol. I love the now 10 and 15 year old auto-wiper designs in my gas cars, they work awesome. The one year old (and constantly updated!) algorithm/sensing in the November 2020 build Model X...not so much

At least Tesla didn't screw up the auto headlamps
When I say "automatic intermittent windshield wipers," I'm talking about the invitation of Robert Kerns in 1964. Prior to that, wipers were on or off. There was no 'wipe every 3 seconds' intermittent settings like we have now. People couldn't trust their cars to handle such a complicated task...

Last edited:
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
And the deaths of several people who misuse it (and even those who weren't misusing it)? It is unavoidable that you will have people who abuse the technology.

Edit: re-read your post and I think you are saying that it is hard to abuse it now with the latest software builds. That said, my point is the same: a computer may be nearly infinitely faster than a human mind, but does not bear rationale thought or reasoning capacity. It's what makes us human. I believe (only my opinions) that even if the realization of a safe FSD were possible, the ramp to get there is just too dangerous.
I live in Chandler, AZ... Where you cannot go for a drive without seeing a handful of Waymo robotaxies. Many without a safety driver.
PXL_20210615_042315601.MP~2.jpg
PXL_20210615_042315601.MP~2.jpg
I took this photo on June 14,2021.

The progress being made by these ai/ml engineers is not linear. It is exponential. We're not "there" yet,but we're closer than we might imagine.

fwiw I drove by the factory again this morning and there were 0 Model X refresh at the Direct Delivery Center, 0 Model X refresh in the logistics lot, but dozens (if not over 100) Model X refresh in that test trackish area.

Again, no video/pics since I was driving solo.
That's what autopilot is for!

Kidding. Thanks for the update. Can't wait for November. Hopefully some delivery news.

Reactions: Tezhed9802
I just don't know what to believe anymore. Every SA has a different story.
I don't even hear from my local SA. The call I got was from 510 area code. You would think that the people calling from California would have the best information but they are all over the place. For me, if the 6 and 7 seaters were both being delivered i would for sure take the 7 seater. I really just want the car and hope i don't regret my decision of switching to the 6 seater later. My plaid order is a 7 seater. I guess i could always trade in/sell the long range if i really want a seven seater later.

Reactions: Stro
And it would be incredibly interesting since there are several Plaid orders on this thread who upgraded to 6 seats with the promise of a ‘21 delivery.
Exactly. Are any of the Plaid reservation holders willing to call the 888 number and play dumb, asking about their delivery timeline? I am curious how many different answers we will get. The post referenced above indicating we will get Plaids in May is the first I’ve heard that.

I live in Chandler, AZ... Where you cannot go for a drive without seeing a handful of Waymo robotaxies. Many without a safety driver.
View attachment 726224View attachment 726224
I took this photo on June 14,2021.

The progress being made by these ai/ml engineers is not linear. It is exponential. We're not "there" yet,but we're closer than we might imagine.
I am definitely not a hater of this technology. I want it to be great. It just makes me nervous, because I believe it introduces a real danger that did not exist prior to this effort to make cars drive themselves.

I love how most people are suddenly realizing that the 6 seater is a better option for them 🤣
I can’t speak for others but I know my wife and I liked the 6-seater best when we placed our original order but at the time couldn’t justify the extra cost. With having had to wait so long for the car we can now however. So fingers crossed we’ll get ”the call.” 😉

Exactly. Are any of the Plaid reservation holders willing to call the 888 number and play dumb, asking about their delivery timeline? I am curious how many different answers we will get. The post referenced above indicating we will get Plaids in May is the first I’ve heard that.

Would you believe any answer they gave?

It seems crazy to hold the plaid until summer. I bet they move mountains to get it out the door before then -- there’s a lot of extra revenue and profit on the line, not to mention the crap they’ll be getting from unhappy rock stars.

Would you believe any answer they gave?

It seems crazy to hold the plaid until summer. I bet they move mountains to get it out the door before then -- there’s a lot of extra revenue and profit on the line, not to mention the crap they’ll be getting from unhappy rock stars.
No, but if a few people call and several SA's say the same thing, it may move my needle. Like everyone else, I want my car sooner than later, but more importantly, I am deciding on whether or not to apply for my loan now. I was going to start the process this week with the assumption I'd see my car in the next two months. I may not do the application if I think there's a decent chance it will be much longer.

Your point is well taken, though.

No, but if a few people call and several SA's say the same thing, it may move my needle. Like everyone else, I want my car sooner than later, but more importantly, I am deciding on whether or not to apply for my loan now. I was going to start the process this week with the assumption I'd see my car in the next two months. I may not do the application if I think there's a decent chance it will be much longer.

Your point is well taken, though.

As long as you're not in the Bay Area you should have some time to apply for loan and get everything in order once your VIN number pops up on your account. It could range from 3-5 days to even 2 weeks or so. I'm all the way on the east coast so I haven't bothered with any loan applications until I see a VIN on my account.

Reactions: Yakkodot
There have been zero deaths related to FSD. You're conflating people who have had Autopilot enabled with FSD, which most definitely was not in any of the cars. There have also been a lot of deaths related to cruise control in a cars over the last 40 years, likely because it was being misused at the time. But that has nothing to do with FSD.

Years ago, my cousin was driving on the highway with cruise control and I was in the passenger seat. He fell asleep and I was screaming at him to press the brake petal to disengage! He was disoriented and did not press the petal until we were spinning off the road and about to hit some large trees. Luckily we both survived.

This accident could have been worse and most likely would not have happened with Autopilot. I have no question that Autopilot can and probably has saved lives. It is a backup co-pilot with dreams of being more. The FSD features are not ready for primetime, but soon they should also help make the roads safer. We just aren't anywhere close to being able to stop paying attention to the road.

Years ago, my cousin was driving on the highway with cruise control and I was in the passenger seat. He fell asleep and I was screaming at him to press the brake petal to disengage! He was disoriented and did not press the petal until we were spinning off the road and about to hit some large trees. Luckily we both survived.

This accident could have been worse and most likely would not have happened with Autopilot. I have no question that Autopilot can and probably has saved lives. It is a backup co-pilot with dreams of being more. The FSD features are not ready for primetime, but soon they should also help make the roads safer. We just aren't anywhere close to being able to stop paying attention to the road.
This is an excellent point and highlights the source of my fear: increase trust in FSD -> decreased attention-paying by driver = increased risk that driver can't overcome a technology failure (technology failure can be defined many ways, including hardware malfunction, weather changes or a scenario that Tesla's AI wasn't trained to deal with yet).

Again, I'd love this technology to be awesome. I don't doubt it's much better than before and that it will continue to get better. As an aside, part of my ire is the misrepresentation of what you are buying. I paid for this tech years ago, when they started selling autopilot and self driving as a separate product. I bought hope and nothing more. It's kinda a kick in the rocks knowing you are paying $10k to be a beta tester.

On the other hand, I did use auto summon and auto park on occasion. I found it to be useful in some unique situations.

As long as you're not in the Bay Area you should have some time to apply for loan and get everything in order once your VIN number pops up on your account. It could range from 3-5 days to even 2 weeks or so. I'm all the way on the east coast so I haven't bothered with any loan applications until I see a VIN on my account.
I hear you, but I plan to use BofA, and they can be ridiculously slow in getting loans finalized, which is why I thought I'd get a head start.

Just got the call from Tesla.
Original order: 03/15/2021, MSM 7 Seats, 20” wheels, no FSD, black interiors, Southern California.
I was asked to update to 6 seats, to get it early next year. I asked if there’s a possibility to get it by year end. I was told, chances are low, but not 0. So, there’s a chance.
I wanted to update to 6 seats regardless, as it makes more sense for my needs. So, I agreed to the change.
Good for you! It makes little to no sense how Tesla decides to "make the call"! I was contacted via a call and text from Zan on Oct 13th. The voice mail message and text was very non-specific, however, they both said to call/text back. I've been trying almost daily since the 13th and DEAD AIR! Given that the change to a 6 seat version from 5 is a significant cost, it also gives me the opportunity to change back to 20" wheels. The silver wheels were so ugly, I ordered the 22" just due to the looks. Making those two changes would make the seating upgrade more palatable, though it seems like they "may have" overstated their ability to deliver the 6 seat version before the end of the year.