Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, so where does this guy live? If Europe, then that's already known deliveries won't happen until Q1 2022. If that's North America I'm taking this guy's comment with a grain of salt and will watch for videos from Fremont.

Speaking of that, here's the latest video:

Having viewed it, I don't see any net-new Model Xs - the ones in the testing area have been there for a while now. It's very hard to see if there are any in the various production/inspection lots around the factory grounds. Still puzzled as to why there's some 400+ Model Ss sitting in an offsite lot - no sign of any taken out/sold.

I cannot believe that the Model X would be another 6 months out for production to actually begin - it just doesn't make sense. If this were true, then new orders would also be much later given the backlog of existing orders, and the same would be true for European and international orders.
He said he lives in Texas. I hope you are right and that the SA that text him was meaning new orders.

He said he lives in Texas. I hope you are right and that the SA that text him was meaning new orders.
I just can't see it being THAT late for production to start given that there are mules out there. Most of the underlying parts (motors, structural battery packs, electronics) would have already been worked through with the Model S, many of the Model X's components aren't being seriously revamped (Falcon Wing doors for example) given what was shown in during the Plaid Launch. I'm not saying it'll be simple either but not another 6 months worth. I can understand parts issues that will limit production numbers but I can't see that production will only commence in 2022.

I figure since my EDD still says August I’ll give it till august 31st then gotta do some thinking. It’s for my wife but I eventually want an MSP so do I get that and let her drive it until X is ready but can a model S fit three car seats??? I got 99 problems….

Yes, 3 seats fit but it's very tight and cup holders built in to the boosters create issues for me. Also kids eventually get big enough they readily bother the others.

Also the refresh S bench seat is 4 inches less wide now, so the issues will likely be worse.

Ask me how I know and why I have an X order....

I just can't see it being THAT late for production to start given that there are mules out there. Most of the underlying parts (motors, structural battery packs, electronics) would have already been worked through with the Model S, many of the Model X's components aren't being seriously revamped (Falcon Wing doors for example) given what was shown in during the Plaid Launch. I'm not saying it'll be simple either but not another 6 months worth. I can understand parts issues that will limit production numbers but I can't see that production will only commence in 2022.
Exactly. The underlying parts have been worked through.

What I don't understand is how you can still order an MS and accept delivery within a month but they don't seem to care about the X deliveries. As that post reported on Reddit yesterday stated they already started pushing Jan deliveries to March. Again, I understand that there is a chip shortage but wouldn't we be using the same chip for the MX as the MS? The impression this gives off to MX owners is that Tesla just doesn't care. At least just tell me why, I am understanding... but let me in the loop.

A curious question, has anyone experienced a push back in delivery date in the past week-month as that Reddit user reported? My Tesla portal still says January. It seems the majority of users I have run across report a January delivery date.

A curious question, has anyone experienced a push back in delivery date in the past week-month as that Reddit user reported? My Tesla portal still says January. It seems the majority of users I have run across report a January delivery date.
Only ones I've heard of getting 'pushed back' are those making changes to an existing order but I could be wrong. I wish the internet never lied.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Validation of the X's capabilities is going to take longer, because it has more. It has to be able to tow 5000lb up the Grapevine without overheating, it has to not break its axles doing mid-11's on *the base model*, let alone the mid-10's the Plaid will do. They also dropped 150+lb out of the cars without substantially changing the greenhouse or body other than the fascias, which suggests to me there is a lot of little tweaking that needs validation (fewer computer modules and wiring, HVAC changes, yada). All while being equipped with a significantly more powerful rear motor than the outgoing cars. It's not as easy as it looks. Model S is doing the public beta for a lot of the "soft" parts, but for the hard parts, there's no substitute for miles and hours.

It's sortof sad they had to stop production on the line just to get enough prototypes to get validation done, or maybe not sad, but just speaks volumes to how constrained they are for capacity with Fremont their only active production facility in the western hemisphere and the only place S/X can be made. If they were truly turning a profit on Model S at $70k when the LR+ stopped production last christmas, imagine how much money they're not making right now because they aren't ramped yet on the $85k S LR, $95k X LR, and mid-six-figure Plaids

Last edited:
New to the forum. I ordered my Model X in Fall 2020, and due to the refresh rumors (which are no longer rumors), I didn't take delivery of my original order and rolled it over to the refresh. As such I'm one of the initial refresh orders and the delivery date on the Tesla site is currently "August" but I know that doesn't mean anything.

With the delay and my concerns about the yolk, I'm debating just purchasing some other vehicle. Does anyone know if I can "sell"/"transfer" my allocation? I received a $2K discount and with the $5K price increase, my purchase price is $7K less than new orders. Thinking of keeping my order and transferring my allocation to another buyer for a fee. Buyer gets the vehicle earlier, can go in a title the vehicle themselves, and I keep the "discount" (I could give them a portion of the discount).

Reactions: kp2021
New to the forum. I ordered my Model X in Fall 2020, and due to the refresh rumors (which are no longer rumors), I didn't take delivery of my original order and rolled it over to the refresh. As such I'm one of the initial refresh orders and the delivery date on the Tesla site is currently "August" but I know that doesn't mean anything.

With the delay and my concerns about the yolk, I'm debating just purchasing some other vehicle. Does anyone know if I can "sell"/"transfer" my allocation? I received a $2K discount and with the $5K price increase, my purchase price is $7K less than new orders. Thinking of keeping my order and transferring my allocation to another buyer for a fee. Buyer gets the vehicle earlier, can go in a title the vehicle themselves, and I keep the "discount" (I could give them a portion of the discount).
I think it is impossible to transfer. I would recommend that you take the delivery and resell right after with a higher price. There will be people willing to pay more to take the car at that point. Good luck.

I think it is impossible to transfer. I would recommend that you take the delivery and resell right after with a higher price. There will be people willing to pay more to take the car at that point. Good luck.
In most states, this incurs paying taxes twice. In Chicago city and state taxes would be paid twice, at more than 10% each time.

Last edited:
In most states, this incurs paying taxes twice. In Chicago city and state taxes would be paid twice.
Agreed - I could buy and flip but I don't want to go through that trouble, and also pay the sales tax. I was thinking if I could find a local buyer we'd go into the dealership, they cut me a check, and then pay/title the vehicle directly with Tesla. Depending on interest level, I could share the discount or pocket it all.

BTW, just realizing I might get flamed here for considering to sell my order/allocation. It wasn't my intent to ever do this but at this point my wait has become ridiculous, with no confirmed end in sight. I wanted a car in early 2021, and now I'm not sure if I'll have one by EOY. I can to this forum to see if there were any updates, and everyone is essentially in the dark. As I mentioned, I'm also skeptical about the yoke and lack of stalk. I can (i) try to sell my order and take advantage of the discount I have, or (ii) just let my order lapse, lose my $100 deposit, and let Elon sell the vehicle for a higher price to someone else. I think the decision is easy if its possible.

Exactly. The underlying parts have been worked through.

What I don't understand is how you can still order an MS and accept delivery within a month but they don't seem to care about the X deliveries. As that post reported on Reddit yesterday stated they already started pushing Jan deliveries to March. Again, I understand that there is a chip shortage but wouldn't we be using the same chip for the MX as the MS? The impression this gives off to MX owners is that Tesla just doesn't care. At least just tell me why, I am understanding... but let me in the loop.

The whole way S Plaid was released seemed at odds with ordering and being able to jump to the front of the queue by taking certain configurations. At least it was optional offer. The X was always scheduled to start after the S by about a month (according to what Musk has stated in the past). We're essentially only getting to that point now.

I am in agreement that the lack of status updates is disconcerting. At least provide monthly updates for those who have ordered. This should come from Tesla directly since they've got insight into how things are going that clearly the SAs simply aren't privy to. So much of the grief could be avoided with simple communications.

As of right now, my order still calls for a September delivery. I'm hoping that it won't slip but if it does then they need to come to the table with some further details.

Reactions: kp2021 and Elixir
Just had a thought…. The Model S LR EDD went from Sept-Oct to Feb-March the other day. That’s a pretty big jump. Maybe they plan to ramp up Model X production during this time and therefore have the Model S line down?

They're two entirely separate lines. I think there are issues with the pack design that need to be addressed or chip shortages.

Either way, they need to communicate so we're not left guessing.

Reactions: Hawk10 and Elixir
I have January and still shows January too. I also hope that those Feb-March are for the new orders.
My order still shows November. The website always shows delivery estimates for new orders. Nothing to get excited about unless you're putting in a new order. Side note, they started building a new Service Center about 5 mins from my house. Should be done by the end of October. Hopefully they move my pickup location to that one. That'll save me an 1 hour drive.

Reactions: lauraut