Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
People have no patience around here.. just sit back and relax
It’s not about being impatient man. People have situations where their leases are ending, they’ve sold their cars and are renting, or just need a new car…… we’re not talking about a cell phone, or a tv or something like that being delayed. People actually really need their vehicles

I really don't know where people are getting this idea, but it has been repeated a few times. The 4680 is not in production. They are making small batches. It's unlikely to be mass produced until well into next year and even possibly not then. The 4680 isn't going to show up in any customer-delivered Tesla vehicles anytime soon.

Yet more anecdotal evidence that SAs know even less than the general public.
Cannot disagree with what you're saying. My post was really meant to just add some hopeful optimism, but I (nor most on here), cannot substantiate these thoughts. I guess, Tesla could if it elected to communicate something/anything to us, but...all of us remain willing to spend our 100K+ when they direct us to spend it, so they don't exactly feel compelled either.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I agree, we are getting close. I think a nice little perk for the delay would be to see a small bump in range or battery cap when they actually come. We shall see.
If you define 'close' as being 'only a few more months', then sure; August is almost over, 2022 is just around the corner.
It’s not about being impatient man. People have situations where their leases are ending, they’ve sold their cars and are renting, or just need a new car…… we’re not talking about a cell phone, or a tv or something like that being delayed. People actually really need their vehicles
Same here; I've been driving a Kia Picanto since oktober last year, and have prolonged the shortlease (ha!) contract twice now. In hindsight not the best approach, but I would like to believe it's worth the wait.

My model 3 got lit on fire, and I had ordered a model X about 5 weeks prior... I called Tesla to see if they could help expedite due to the arson, but they just said there was nothing they could do.. still January estimated delivery... I ended up buying a Fusion that I hope I won't have to drive for more than a year, but if my Model 3 experience taught me anything, it's that Tesla is terrible at sticking to schedule so if I see it before next summer I think it'd be extraordinary

My model 3 got lit on fire, and I had ordered a model X about 5 weeks prior... I called Tesla to see if they could help expedite due to the arson, but they just said there was nothing they could do.. still January estimated delivery... I ended up buying a Fusion that I hope I won't have to drive for more than a year, but if my Model 3 experience taught me anything, it's that Tesla is terrible at sticking to schedule so if I see it before next summer I think it'd be extraordinary
How did it catch on fire?

I don't think we can fault Tesla for supply chain problems. Nor can we blame them for prioritizing in a way that maximizes profit for the company. But, as a long time Tesla driver and early adopter, this experience has left a really bad taste in my mouth. Someone above likened this to Christmas, with a bunch of impatient children waiting for a gift. @JER85 is absolutely correct. People need cars. In addition to the basic transportation needs, when it comes to buying a Tesla people are arranging financing, doing short term leasing, coordinating trade-ins, getting insurance quotes. All with a moving goal post. Again, it's hard to blame Tesla for whatever rate limiting steps have stopped production. But, their communication has been abysmal and has had real world impact on people's lives. This is preventable.

I don't believe Tesla is obligated to give us play-by-play details or share information that would compromise trade secrets. But, lip service would go a long way. AJ Scaringe over at Rivian is also struggling to build cars, too, but he is at least sending out periodic communications. I consider EDD on all of our accounts as part of their communication failure. I don't trust that Tesla has given information that they in good faith believe to be true. The result is an unfair business advantage, as it prevents some people from moving on to a different vehicle option. The rebuttal to this is: "No one is producing cars right now" and "There is no competition"... These things may be true, but one of my biggest regrets through all this is that I didn't put a deposit down on a Rivian sooner than I did. I imagine some out there would have gotten in line early for an F-150 if they realized that their April 2021 MX probably is more like April 2022.

The most recent kick in the rocks is this incredibly stupid bot. Really? You are leaving thousands of customers high and dry with zero communication about their six figure commitment to you for a product that is necessary while you put actual resources into developing a robot??? Elon has pushed the envelope in many ways that have already changed the world. But, not only does this new venture seem outright silly, unnecessary and unlikely to make our lives better, it feels tone deaf to all those who waiting for a product they actually need.

I don't think we can fault Tesla for supply chain problems. Nor can we blame them for prioritizing in a way that maximizes profit for the company. But, as a long time Tesla driver and early adopter, this experience has left a really bad taste in my mouth. Someone above likened this to Christmas, with a bunch of impatient children waiting for a gift. @JER85 is absolutely correct. People need cars. In addition to the basic transportation needs, when it comes to buying a Tesla people are arranging financing, doing short term leasing, coordinating trade-ins, getting insurance quotes. All with a moving goal post. Again, it's hard to blame Tesla for whatever rate limiting steps have stopped production. But, their communication has been abysmal and has had real world impact on people's lives. This is preventable.

I don't believe Tesla is obligated to give us play-by-play details or share information that would compromise trade secrets. But, lip service would go a long way. AJ Scaringe over at Rivian is also struggling to build cars, too, but he is at least sending out periodic communications. I consider EDD on all of our accounts as part of their communication failure. I don't trust that Tesla has given information that they in good faith believe to be true. The result is an unfair business advantage, as it prevents some people from moving on to a different vehicle option. The rebuttal to this is: "No one is producing cars right now" and "There is no competition"... These things may be true, but one of my biggest regrets through all this is that I didn't put a deposit down on a Rivian sooner than I did. I imagine some out there would have gotten in line early for an F-150 if they realized that their April 2021 MX probably is more like April 2022.

The most recent kick in the rocks is this incredibly stupid bot. Really? You are leaving thousands of customers high and dry with zero communication about their six figure commitment to you for a product that is necessary while you put actual resources into developing a robot??? Elon has pushed the envelope in many ways that have already changed the world. But, not only does this new venture seem outright silly, unnecessary and unlikely to make our lives better, it feels tone deaf to all those who waiting for a product they actually need.
Well said. This is exactly how I feel about the situation. I understand that there are things out of Tesla’s control, but communication is well within it.

I believe I speak (type) for most folks holding orders is the lack of any communication. We find out information from others, twitter, here, FB and periodically checking our accounts. Not one single email from Tesla with any official information. How about "we regret, that xxx month deliveries will not occur. Our best estimate at this time is....... etc. " Few really care which part number is holding up things. Or Elon chose to prioritize S capacity vs X? Just tell us something from HQ that allows us to make life decisions over the coming months. Not much to ask.

And what about those that wanted Silver 20" wheels? No formal notices on that, even to those that ordered it.

BTW, I am also an owner for over 3 years and am so disappointed at the lack of customer care or concern, even when my current vehicle had repairs.

Reactions: jbrowdy
Things just tend to happen suddenly with Elon and Tesla. Like who really knows what the final MX will have. It was ages ago when they introduced it. Maybe, maybe it has the 4680. Or maybe they tack on another 3% in range. Or maybe they'll throw in free supercharging again. Or maybe it'll just be a new choreographed winter fairy dance!!

Also remember that the MX is the car that they use to transport astronauts at Space X. It's THE car in terms of representing the Tesla brand. So, things gonna move sooner rather than later.

Final thought. I wonder if they'll let you change the tire setup pre delivery without charge being that that was not a option for most folks waiting.

Things just tend to happen suddenly with Elon and Tesla. Like who really knows what the final MX will have. It was ages ago when they introduced it. Maybe, maybe it has the 4680. Or maybe they tack on another 3% in range. Or maybe they'll throw in free supercharging again. Or maybe it'll just be a new choreographed winter fairy dance!!
Finally some one think out of the box!!

Also remember that the MX is the car that they use to transport astronauts at Space X. It's THE car in terms of representing the Tesla brand. So, things gonna move sooner rather than later.

Final thought. I wonder if they'll let you change the tire setup pre delivery without charge being that that was not a option for most folks waiting.
I asked about the tires to my SA and he said it's considered a modification to your order aka price at current level.

I asked about the tires to my SA and he said it's considered a modification to your order aka price at current level.
That's really messed up and the kind of BS that Tesla always pulls. I'm sure so many people sprung for the 22" wheels just because they wanted dark color wheels, and now Tesla turns around and makes the standard ones dark.... You would think in light of that they would let people downgrade. Tesla is so lucky that their cars, charging network, and tech is so awesome and so far ahead of the competition right now.