Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not about being impatient man. People have situations where their leases are ending, they’ve sold their cars and are renting, or just need a new car…… we’re not talking about a cell phone, or a tv or something like that being delayed. People actually really need their vehicles
I have a tax plan to take advantage of the gvw and write off (fully depreciate) the cost of the MX. If I don't take delivery this year, my taxes will be all screwed up and I'll owe an extra 35k.

And yes,I'm increasingly aware that I likely won't take delivery this year. (Order date 2/14 - Current EDD October)

Despite my ownership I am thoroughly skeptical of whether this company knows WTF it's doing and even I didn't foresee the first orders of a refresh X, ordered around when I took delivery in early December '20, getting theirs more than a *year* after I ordered mine, in October '20. Jesus.

That's really messed up and the kind of BS that Tesla always pulls. I'm sure so many people sprung for the 22" wheels just because they wanted dark color wheels, and now Tesla turns around and makes the standard ones dark.... You would think in light of that they would let people downgrade. Tesla is so lucky that their cars, charging network, and tech is so awesome and so far ahead of the competition right now.
Comletely agree. If there was serious competition in the market they wouldn't have nearly as many orders. Eventually (in 5 years when others catch up) Musk will learn that ignoring customer base is not a good business strategy. People will flock to other brands.

Comletely agree. If there was serious competition in the market they wouldn't have nearly as many orders. Eventually (in 5 years when others catch up) Musk will learn that ignoring customer base is not a good business strategy. People will flock to other brands.
The problem with this, however, is that there aren't that many of us to impact Tesla/Musk in any significant way. We are highly expendable and can be replaced with others quickly - especially as EV acceptance/comfort grows among the millions.

Reactions: Vitaman
The problem with this, however, is that there aren't that many of us to impact Tesla/Musk in any significant way. We are highly expendable and can be replaced with others quickly - especially as EV acceptance/comfort grows among the millions.
Right but if there were competition than I think that those millions would be buying elsewhere. When others gain equivelancy or even supremacy in certain areas (comfort, fit, finish, etc) this lack of customer service/support will quickly be their downfall in the automotive market.

Reactions: Wooly1
You guys are delusional. There is no competition and there never will be. It’s impossible to get to where Tesla is at, and where Tesla is going.
This is correct. No one has the scale to make EVs to deliver in the next 6 or even 12 months. No one has a supercharger network. No one has Autopilot that works as well as Tesla. Then only company I'd maybe consider is Lucid.

You guys are delusional. There is no competition and there never will be. It’s impossible to get to where Tesla is at, and where Tesla is going.
You're delusional to think no one will catch up. Supercruise can do what Autopilot can do on the highway (actually more bc it's fully autonomous).You are right when it comes to local streets. However, most ppl don't need/want autopilot for short trips. There are already cars very close to Tesla with everything but city streets. Others will catch up and when that happens I think Tesla market share will drop exponentially.
This is correct. No one has the scale to make EVs to deliver in the next 6 or even 12 months. No one has a supercharger network. No one has Autopilot that works as well as Tesla. Then only company I'd maybe consider is Lucid.
I specifically said in the next 5 years or so. To get billions from the US govt Musk has to open supercharging. He won't loose out on that the network will be open within a year likely.

Next 6 to 12 months - true, no one comes close. But, the reference point was in the next 5 years. It should at least be interesting to see this evolution especially as Tesla begins sharing the supercharger network with other EV manufacturers. In the end, many of our gripes are diluted if Tesla elected to give us some direction on timeline rather than pushing out the EDD in our respective accounts to perhaps exceed more than 12 months.

Reactions: neo1738
Next 6 to 12 months - true, no one comes close. But, the reference point was in the next 5 years. It should at least be interesting to see this evolution especially as Tesla begins sharing the supercharger network with other EV manufacturers. In the end, many of our gripes are diluted if Tesla elected to give us some direction on timeline rather than pushing out the EDD in our respective accounts to perhaps exceed more than 12 months.
In 5 years I'm thinking that Tesla's lead is 2x 3x bigger, maybe more. No one is moving as fast as Tesla to put up capacity. No one is moving as fast to improve autopilot. Tesla is getting millions of miles of actual real world data to use. That advantage is small at first and then impossible to catch upto. Google has this kind of advantage. The other thing is that Tesla is going to be the brand that people want and will wait for. Look at us, waiting to get a car we're spending massive $$$ on. That's the power of brand, technology and a product that is light years in front of everyone else.

In 5 years I'm thinking that Tesla's lead is 2x 3x bigger, maybe more. No one is moving as fast as Tesla to put up capacity. No one is moving as fast to improve autopilot. Tesla is getting millions of miles of actual real world data to use. That advantage is small at first and then impossible to catch upto. Google has this kind of advantage. The other thing is that Tesla is going to be the brand that people want and will wait for. Look at us, waiting to get a car we're spending massive $$$ on. That's the power of brand, technology and a product that is light years in front of everyone else.
Ford will be making over 80k/yr F150 in 2024. Not a small amount. Ford F-150 Lightning production to double due to high demand, report says I think you forget that other auto manufacturers have already mastered manufacturing which Tesla still has yet to do. Look at their build quality.

If you don’t care about it being a low sports sedan, Polestar 2 is already pretty dang close. I4, close. And some features are better. As an EV, they’re worse, but the electric drive is no longer a defining difference, it’s nuanced. The Xc40 is just almost as quick as Model Y, for instance.

objectively Tesla has the lead by a light year. But they’re not traveling at relativistic speeds, have gotten lodged squarely in another rut this time scaling (first time was Fremont production hell, now hell is global) and the competition is still accelerating

Reactions: Yakkodot
I've been watching Sandy Munro's coverage of Mach E. What a kludge. Typical of a company that operates in no mans land, still making ICE, and trying to use that base to cobble together an EV. It's neither fish nor fowl. Lets see how many Ford Lightnings are delivered when the delivery dates come due. An EV aint' like making an ICE.

Last edited:
Reactions: focher
I've been hearing the "competition in 5 years" for 9 years now. Personally, I'll wait for a Tesla. Others are free not to, but every time I read someone stating they're going to just buy a Mach-E, Lightning, Lyriq, or whatever I just smile because between delivery lag times and dealer markups all of those options are almost as elusive as a new Model X.
Indeed. We'll see if they do what they say they'll do. Mach E is, actually, good. Bolt is, actually, good (when not rapidly oxidizing). But they have zero incentive to push to make more of them other than something something mostly EV by 20 something something *inaudible*