Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a 2020 Model X Long Range Plus but it’s been in the shop since Feb 8th when it was hit from behind. I ordered the refresh the day after the wreck. I can’t wait to get it to put this nightmare behind us-

We were dropping the kids off at school when the car behind us hit the gas instead of the brake (she thought her Denali was in park and took her foot off). My wife was half way back in- stepping back into the X- when the other lady hit us, it threw my wife out of the X and our X’s rear driver side tire ran her leg over. She spent over a month in the hospital and had eight surgeries.

The blessings are that she didn’t call our 9 year old back over to grab his glasses- he would have been killed, that the Tesla’s tires don’t roll when in park- she pushed us 2 1/2 car lengths but the slower skid allowed the kids passing in front of us to get out of the way, and my wife didn’t lose her leg. It’s been almost 7 months and aside from heavy scaring (where the X went over her leg it essentially degloved the skin).

The 2020 X was “repaired” but we only had it back a couple days when it started giving a low coolant alert, park assist unavailable, the windows won’t roll down unless you press the brake to turn it on when in park, and it was losing approx 36 miles while parked in our garage overnight.

The other lady only had $50k in property coverage. That’s been used up with vehicle repairs and a SUV rental for a few of the months. We have three kids and I wanted to return life to normal so I sold the Ferrari and bought a Y to get us by until the refreshed S I ordered in May came in. I figured this would give us the S and the Y until the X comes in.

Now Tesla has bumped the S way out again and the X’s “Oct” delivery is likely getting pushed way out. The Y is a decent little car but it’s a tight fit with 3 kids (one of which has PANDAS and a fear of his siblings germs). In the X we had the six seats so it made it easier for him (and the others not having to sit three in a row). In the rental SUVs we were spending approx $200 every two weeks in gas. In the Tesla our solar net metering covers most of the charge (if we export more than we use we only get .044 per kW). I bring up those two points to show that getting an ICE vehicle isn’t a smart alternative for us.

With that said if I had know last Feb that the refresh X wouldn’t be delivered for 10 months I would have snatched up another 2020 X LR Plus. The car delays are more than an inconvenience, it’s putting us in a holding pattern on getting our life back to normal.
I'm so sorry for your suffering.
I must say, I wasn't expecting the "so I sold the Farrari" line. :)
I have a friend with Pandas and it's no joke. Keep on parenting and husbanding, and don't let anyone ever tell you that your story can be boiled down to the simplistic context of their opinion of you.
Be well.