Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was wondering if anyone knows how factory delivery works? because that's what I have planned for my model x

is there a showroom you pick it up in?
When you arrive, they hand you a piece of paper with your vin. It's up to you to find it within 30 minutes in the lot full of 1000s of cars. They watch you. They laugh. They cry. It's one heck of a time.

I emailed my SA to ask about ordering winter tires, which here in Canada will be needed if delivery does indeed happen before the end of the year (I’m a 6-seater MX LR, 20” wheels, ordered 1/29).

She replied in part “..thinking forward and ordering the winter tires are great idea but unfortunately I can not give you a delivery date till we start delivering Model X in Canada and have a VIN number for your account.”

ps I haven’t received any other contact, but wasn’t expecting anything since I’m already 6 seats. Psyched to get it before the end of the year though as that would avoid the Canadian luxury car tax.

Reactions: MoneyWiz
So, a while back, I was made attempt to modify my design to see if it would change my delivery date. At some point, it becomes impossible to make any design changes, so I used the link on this page to modify my paint from black to white. This may come as a suprise, but it did nothing to my EDD. Meanwhile, I really did and still do want black. I just used the same link to modify my order back to black paint and the page give me an EDD of May or June! That's crazy. Back when I had an actual EDD, it was January. Like many others, it's now blank, and I am hoping to be among the lucky who get their car this year (Plaid, six seat).

I even called corporate sales and after a "brief hold" they confirmed that any changes will alter my delivery date. That's pretty frustrating. I thought I read a few posts above that someone just changed seat color. Did that not change your EDD?
  • Explanation #1: this is the way it is and always has been
  • Explanation #2: this was not the way it was before, but is now because they are in actual production and based parts/supply/cost estimates on existing orders. Making a change materially changes their numbers, thus bumping you back
I suspect the answer is #1, but wondering if anyone else has made design modifications without a change in EDD?

By the way, the guy was steel vault. Offered zero information on production and said all talk of production are based off "rumors" and are not official. He was lifeless. Couldn't get him to say a damn thing.

As a corollary to my post above, I am now stuck with white :mad:. I like white. It looks sharp. I had a few MS's in white, but it's not really what I wanted on this car. Initially, I was OK with it because I figured I could simply wrap it and get anything I want. But, after talking to the wrap guy, I learned something I didn't think about: If you have white, wrapping works fine, but you will see white on door jams, trunk, etc. when you open the car. It's still true if you have black and wrap some other shade, but it's much more subtle with black.

I am in the process of deciding if I care about seeing white when I open doors, but I am wondering if anyone here has experience with wrapping, and if so, does my conundrum actually matter? If you have wrapped a car, please post pics - I'd love to see some real world examples (Sorry, Bruce, but we gotta do something besides twiddle our thumbs here in the waiting room!).

Reactions: KidsEyeDr and EV3_
As a corollary to my post above, I am now stuck with white :mad:. I like white. It looks sharp. I had a few MS's in white, but it's not really what I wanted on this car. Initially, I was OK with it because I figured I could simply wrap it and get anything I want. But, after talking to the wrap guy, I learned something I didn't think about: If you have white, wrapping works fine, but you will see white on door jams, trunk, etc. when you open the car. It's still true if you have black and wrap some other shade, but it's much more subtle with black.

I am in the process of deciding if I care about seeing white when I open doors, but I am wondering if anyone here has experience with wrapping, and if so, does my conundrum actually matter? If you have wrapped a car, please post pics - I'd love to see some real world examples (Sorry, Bruce, but we gotta do something besides twiddle our thumbs here in the waiting room!).
I’ve seen people get the door jambs wrapped too.

Thx all who have reported this. I feel like I’m the only one left who hasn’t gotten the call — Jan pre-announcement LR 7 order, no FSD, no call, no love :( Located in PA. Called my local SA who I believe tried really hard to get me the offer and came back and said he couldn’t.
I'm in the Bay Area with a 1/28 order date for a LR 7 seat config and haven't received any call. Don't actually care because I won't change.

Hi, new to the Chat... Ordered 03/21 MX LR 5 seats, White/Cream FSD... My EDD is still blank since Sep 5 (It was October). First Tesla. I got the Call this past Monday and I accepted to switch to 6 seats... Tesla guy said December/ January (at the latest) delivery . They will honor price plus 6,500 for new Seat configuration.
He said that I will see changes in my account... However I do not have confirmation on the Order update, other than the telephone conversation. Question to those who have received the "call" and accepted the change, have you received/ seen confirmation of order update in your account? those updates take a long time to be seen in your Tesla account?
Thanks for your replies...

I did that for my 3 in 2018, but it was at a random office complex in Fremont a couple miles from the factory.
Same here. That's when they were delivering a lot of cars at one time, so it was a bit of an assembly line. Different than our first X which was also in a nearby site which was being built out as a customer friendly delivery location. Neither were at the factory. My neighbor just got a new 3 with the touchless delivery. The car was literally dropped off in front of their house locked but with the keycards inside. She had the Tesla app to unlock the car. I should charge Tesla, because I performed the walkthrough and inspection.
I emailed my SA to ask about ordering winter tires, which here in Canada will be needed if delivery does indeed happen before the end of the year (I’m a 6-seater MX LR, 20” wheels, ordered 1/29).

She replied in part “..thinking forward and ordering the winter tires are great idea but unfortunately I can not give you a delivery date till we start delivering Model X in Canada and have a VIN number for your account.”

ps I haven’t received any other contact, but wasn’t expecting anything since I’m already 6 seats. Psyched to get it before the end of the year though as that would avoid the Canadian luxury car tax.
My recommendation is to just place an order for the winter tire set directly in the Tesla store or through the nearest service center. Don't even try to use your SA. The winter tire kit is exactly the same, and you don't have to already have an X to buy it.

Reactions: stephenstohn
In summary, if you ordered pre-refresh date, 6 seats give you a little priority but 5 and 7 models will be right behind them. That's what I am betting on and also trying for a 2022 VIN, don't want a 2021 VIN. I will defer that delivery even is I get a VIN next week.
I’m new to Tesla (this will be my first). I’ve seen this type of comment a couple times regarding a 2022 VIN vs a 2021 VIN. if the vehicles are the same what difference does the VIN year make?

I got a call yesterday from the Fremont factory to pick up the model x this Saturday. Did anyone else also get a call? I order 6-seat, LR, white.
I'm really bad with timezones, but that'd be tomorrow, right? And you got the call yesterday? Given the lack of EDDs and the other information in this thread, I'm tempted to say 'troll', which would make you not cool. If not, please do provide more details, like a vin, order date, and vehicle config. And pics.