Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a VIN for my model X (ordered in Feb.). The sales rep says my X will be ready for delivery in 10-14 days.

I don't immediatly need the X. I'd appreciate the group's thoughts on delaying delivery in anticipation of the tax credit. Is this even realistic? I'm fine to not get the tax credit but would hate to miss out if I could have delayed for a month or two.
Almost zero chance the X qualifies in any way for any new EV credits assuming that law ever even passes.

It’s far too expensive a vehicle with the current cutoffs in the bill that went to the senate and very unlikely they would raise those limits.

If you don’t need an X why you taking up room in the line? :p

Reactions: studioloft
Right now there is no U.S. federal tax credit for any Teslas. Question is the future legislation -- when will it be signed into law and in what form? I think the extent of the credit varies depending on cost of the EV, whether the EV was manufactured by unions, and the income of the buyer.
Unfortunately in any version of the current proposed legislation that I have seen the Model X does not qualify - it is too expensive.. A Model 3 would!

When they ask you to switch to a 6 seater, what’s the price difference?

I’m locked in at the old price at $88k. Would i just have to pay the extra $6k or would I be moved up to the new $100k+ price and pay the extra $6k for the 6 seat option?
They only offered this to q1 2021 or earlier reservations. If tesla asks you to change the order you only pay for the seat change and keep all other prices or discounts you had. Tesla even lets you change color or config stuff if they are asking you to change with no penalties (just the price difference in the config changes).

Last edited:
When they ask you to switch to a 6 seater, what’s the price difference?

I’m locked in at the old price at $88k. Would i just have to pay the extra $6k or would I be moved up to the new $100k+ price and pay the extra $6k for the 6 seat option?
Price was increased by the difference from your current order to the price of the 6 seat option. ($6500 for the 5 seat, or the difference between $6500 and the price of the 7 seats)
The base price would be unchanged unless you opted to make any other changes that were more expensive like paint.

If you are one of the few dummies (like me) who ordered a Plaid, do you want to post your order date here? Maybe there is a confounding variable, like order date, that could explain zero Plaid VIN’s, as opposed to a more likely explanation, such as the car is vaporware.

I personally ordered mine pre-refresh, canceled it (by accident, see above) and re-ordered in May.

If you are one of the few dummies (like me) who ordered a Plaid, do you want to post your order date here? Maybe there is a confounding variable, like order date, that could explain zero Plaid VIN’s, as opposed to a more likely explanation, such as the car is vaporware.

I personally ordered mine pre-refresh, canceled it (by accident, see above) and re-ordered in May.

It has nothing to do with order dates… there is an issue with the actual production of the car. There is some speculation that it could be something awaiting approval or a build issue. They made it pretty clear that there would not be any Plaids until next year.

Almost zero chance the X qualifies in any way for any new EV credits assuming that law ever even passes.

It’s far too expensive a vehicle with the current cutoffs in the bill that went to the senate and very unlikely they would raise those limits.

If you don’t need an X why you taking up room in the line? :p
Thanks for this analysis. I think I"ll go ahead and take delivery. I actually needed a larger car for my growing family so badly that I ended up leasing one as I had been waiting for the X since February. So that has lessened the immediacy of the need. Thanks again!

If I were Tesla, I would shitcan the "very high" and "High" settings on the X. Why make it something it's not. At best it's a Model S Outback off-road. Just let Vaportruck do trucky stuff. It is odd to me that they find so many places to streamline their cars for ease of manufacturing and development, and then let us have this little button on the screen that breaks the axles if we use it too much, with all the dev time it takes to make sure it worked right* before sale. There must be like one guy in Alberta who always has his in Very High all winter and they want him to keep buying cars, lol

*worked once

I will probably order another X, one day. Like everyone who has one we love the car but the company need to get their ish together.

Every time it does something weird I pull the dread pirate roberts thing on it. Goodnight hedwig, sleep well, I'll most likely sell you in the morning
Meant to ask this a few pages earlier but with the VINs raining, pages are flying… Does the MX not lower automatically when you hit a certain speed threshold? I always thought this was standard behavior- then how does the infamous shudder even develop?

Meant to ask this a few pages earlier but with the VINs raining, pages are flying… Does the MX not lower automatically when you hit a certain speed threshold? I always thought this was standard behavior- then how does the infamous shudder even develop?
The car does lower on the highway, I think it's around 45 or 50 mph, but if you're in "standard" height, and punch it, you will easily pass 60mph before the car has any time to lower. For me the shudder would only occur under very hard acceleration usually around 45 mph, but that was in an early 2016 performance model. I didn't have any trouble with my 2019 "raven" long range. They've changed a lot with the new adaptive suspension so hopefully it's not an issue on the new ones any more.

Reactions: lsds
It has nothing to do with order dates… there is an issue with the actual production of the car. There is some speculation that it could be something awaiting approval or a build issue. They made it pretty clear that there would not be any Plaids until next year.
“They” being the guys at the Fremont delivery event?

I am not disagreeing. I think you are correct. But, what the *sugar* else are we supposed to do in the waiting besides speculate and hold out hope?