Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Please excuse my ignorance (I'm not a huge car person and this will be my first Tesla) and I'm not trying to be facetious when I ask: Why do people care much about the difference in 0-60 mph acceleration time between the LR (3.8 seconds) and Plaid (2.5 seconds) to justify paying significantly more for the latter? I understand if you're racing cars, but other than that use I am baffled.

Maybe it's because I live in Chicago and there are almost no situations where I could even test the 0-60 mph time because city driving often isn't conducive to that type of acceleration. However, even if I lived in a more rural area, it doesn't seem to me that big enough of a difference in acceleration time to pay that much more, but clearly I'm wrong because plenty of people are willing to pay it. A 3.5 second 0 to 60 already seems very fast to me, and much better than most ICE cars! Unless there are other differences between LR and Plaid that might make the difference more stark?

Please excuse my ignorance (I'm not a huge car person and this will be my first Tesla) and I'm not trying to be facetious when I ask: Why do people care much about the difference in 0-60 mph acceleration time between the LR (3.8 seconds) and Plaid (2.5 seconds) to justify paying significantly more for the latter? I understand if you're racing cars, but other than that use I am baffled.

Maybe it's because I live in Chicago and there are almost no situations where I could even test the 0-60 mph time because city driving often isn't conducive to that type of acceleration. However, even if I lived in a more rural area, it doesn't seem to me that big enough of a difference in acceleration time to pay that much more, but clearly I'm wrong because plenty of people are willing to pay it. A 3.5 second 0 to 60 already seems very fast to me, and much better than most ICE cars! Unless there are other differences between LR and Plaid that might make the difference more stark?
Bragging rights my friend. I have not ordered a plaid but own a 911 GTS and 99% of the time never drive any faster than a Miata with in the city streets.

See, the intern created a shiny new account just so he could piss you off! :)
They're so good at that! 😂
OOOO... what if I was the Tesla Intern this whole time!?
dramatic reveal.gif

Friendly Ad

VINners, please enter your details so we can track production for those of us that aren't as lucky.

*aren't as lucky YET.
Some day our VINs will come.

I haven’t seen any VINs in Utah or Colorado.

FWIW (not much, I know), I reached out to my SA regarding my status (order RN1144, Jan 2021, MSM, white interior, 6 seat, 20”). His response:

“As of right now we are still looking at a January timeframe for delivery of the Model Xs. No exact date however has been released yet but once it has we will inform our customers.”

Why do I even bother?! I’ll stick with you guys. Let’s hope the VINs keep coming this week!
No VINS on the west coast outside of CA. No WA, OR, MT, ID, NV, CO, AZ, NM
I have a feeling that our week is next week. And then they'll be delivering within 1 week.

East coast - LONG journey - While the cars are in transit, they're making and delivering our cars. It's going to happen. It's GOING TO HAPPEN. (I keep telling myself this so that I don't lose my mind.... although maybe I already did)

That means the plaid is 35% quicker — and that’s no joke. If it’s your drive-around-the-city car, it probably makes no sense. But there are plenty of stop lights in the ‘burbs, even plenty with merges ahead where only one of you can be first… plus bragging rights. :)