Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we’ve seen what the problem is based on Lady MX and the pulled VINs etc. Poor initial quality that’s requiring a lot of rework.

If you’ve only got one line running model S and Model X and you have a choice: build a bunch of model S that will be decent quality with no rework needed that you can shove into inventory and sell even if you don’t have orders, or, build some Model X that are still in production hell with a lot of problems coming off the line which do you choose?

Tesla seems to have chosen: mostly run the model S on the line to maximize easy sales.

I think after they finish out q4 and the year end they will be more willing to work on a bunch of X in January to work through the production kinks.

Last edited:
Reactions: LL#2
Thank you. Except for moderator and a few others....totally beat up today. I'm guessing they're all financing and their retirement plans aren't set.
I would challenge your ability to buy the car. Read back 300 pages when we discussed how buying it outright is actually not financially the best move. You pay 1.5-2.5% interest with best credit and currently investments are up almost 17.5% on the year. $$ Better left in investments and borrow the banks $ for the car you win on that deal. But since you're so rich you already know that and your financial planner discussed that with you when you informed them of your purchase right?

I must admit, I am one of the chief champions for the " you'll forget about this pain" movement.

Let me provided some context for this concept and clarify a miss-assumption. First of all, the idea that your brain will normalize to your current environment is well documented in neuroscience research over the past several decades. That is the premise... Not because the car is so amazing (which it will be) but simply by virtue of time passing... Right now, all we see is the pain, frustration, and occasional humor of the waiting roo. In a relatively short period of time compared to the entirety of our lives, all we will see will be our MXs. Not that everything will be erased, but rather, our attention will be more acutely focused on the problems of the day rather than the frustrations of yesterday.

Also, this movement is not to say that the ends justify the means. If you read back, every single person that has offered this idea as an emotional support to a fellow waiting room member, has also expressed frustration. We're not saying that the poor communication is OK. ABSOLUTELY NOT! When we say this, we're saying to another one of our (now) friends, "Look on the bright side. We don't know when, but there will be a bright side."

Third... Physical pain and torture (stepping on someone's neck) are hardly the analogy of long wait times, poor customer service, terrible communication, or even greedy corporate tactics. So it's kinda weird to say that they're the same.

To be clear. I want my MX. I want it before the end of the year. I paid am extra $3500 to get it before the end of the year. I'm resigned to the fact that I probably WON'T get it before the end of the year. I'm annoyed with the wait. I'm frustrated by the wait. I'm grateful for this forum because this current environment has made it easier for me to go through this process. And... I know that when I finally have my car, I will thoroughly enjoy it. This is a nuanced concept that isn't defined by the binary of right vs. wrong or good vs. bad.

So to that end.... I hope that you enjoy your MX when you get it... And in the meantime, try not to step on any necks
Basically what you’re saying is we’re an emotional support group.. 🤪👍🏼Love it!

Me getting this refresh, is actually a stopgap until they get that 4680 pack in the MX. Then THAT one will be my last car I'll buy, at least as my daily.
Good plan - I am tending that way myself. Hoping my preowned 2018 MX I got off of Tesla.com will fill the gap while Tesla works out refresh production problems and conversion from the old batteries to 4680.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
The weird thing to me is how Apple is so much better at production planning. In the first crush of orders for a new iPhone model, they know your place in line and from the moment you order they know to the day when your phone (trim, color, storage size) will be built and shipped.

Given that Tesla is so good at manufacturing (relative to OEMs, judging by Diess’s comments and etc.) and that they actually state that manufacturing will be their long-term competitive advantage, and given that they have a six month plus backlog and can therefore plan lots of batches in advance, you’d think they could forecast as well, or at least somewhat close. Yet if they could, I’m sure we’d all have more accurate delivery dates.

So it must be the variability in the production ramp of the new model. Somehow, the refresh must be different enough that they are having trouble getting back to the production rates they were at before. Certainly this would be expected for the plaid with the new three-motor layout and so on, but it must be true for the LR as well. There’s definitely historical precedent for the X being trouble to manufacture, based on the original X ramp.

It could even make sense to see the recent surplus of S if they are having trouble ramping X and say just make S for a while and buy us a week to figure out what’s going wrong here, then we’ll try X again and see if we‘ve figured out how to get it going faster. It would also make sense to limit it to one trim and one seating layout if they just need to get that one config down cold before introducing more variation into the production line.

I just wish they’d share any tidbit at all on what the ramping problem might be. :)

P.S.:

The last time I left a Comcast customer service facility, there was a sign at the exit of the employee parking lot reading “You are about to experience the most dangerous part of your day: the public roads.” Well for one, Tesla is fixing that. And two, the message was a bit hard to believe, given that the customer service reps in the building sat behind two inches of bulletproof glass. That was sobering. :)
In all fairness, a lot of Apple's planning has to do with Foxconn who do the actual manufacturing.

There's a world of production that a majority of us don't understand - I certainly don't. That being said, the ones being paid - should. Clearly the pandemic is upending it all, so production has been upset. As far as I know, it's unclear what changed with the refresh (in exact detail) - both with the vehicles and the production lines such to have zero production for approaching a year.

That said, it's also possible to inform customers who have outstanding orders some idea as to what's happening. It doesn't have to be huge on details, but timely updates makes a world of difference. People have made decisions on what Tesla has indicated - such as terminating leases, selling off cars, deferring other purchases, etc. and it all impacts their lives. Tesla has had a decade-plus of maturity and this is the one aspect that management has failed to learn to deal with properly.

In all fairness, a lot of Apple's planning has to do with Foxconn who do the actual manufacturing.

There's a world of production that a majority of us don't understand - I certainly don't. That being said, the ones being paid - should. Clearly the pandemic is upending it all, so production has been upset. As far as I know, it's unclear what changed with the refresh (in exact detail) - both with the vehicles and the production lines such to have zero production for approaching a year.

That said, it's also possible to inform customers who have outstanding orders some idea as to what's happening. It doesn't have to be huge on details, but timely updates makes a world of difference. People have made decisions on what Tesla has indicated - such as terminating leases, selling off cars, deferring other purchases, etc. and it all impacts their lives. Tesla has had a decade-plus of maturity and this is the one aspect that management has failed to learn to deal with properly.
Like Apple, maybe if Tesla manufactured their product in China too they would be more efficient.

..oh wait

Lol. I would be totally fine with taking an imported Model X refresh if they were made in China 😄 Maybe that's our issue.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: ironwill96
I don’t think people in this range are stretching their money, maybe a few are but I would venture to say not many. People in the model Y and model 3 range may be, but once you get to a 6 figure purchase it’s kind of hard to stretch yourself unless you’re totally careless with money and throw caution to the wind…. I think the point people are trying to make by mentioning the amount is that Tesla treats us horribly despite the fact that we are spending a significant amount of money on their products. If I buy a $1000 iPad from Apple and it’s delayed and they don’t communicate with me I wouldn’t mind so much….. now if I’m spending 100 times that on a product, I expect some communication at the very least… make sense?
I stated that I know this is frustrating. The thing that makes me feel sick is all the emphasizing on the amount of money you have spent. Keep capitalizing ONE HUNDRED THOUSAND, 100K.

Sounds like a husband keep yelling at a house wife I PAID ALL THD BILL😅😂

And tablet is in a different category than a car. $100K car is not so expensive. At least in my opinion.

Reactions: DelPhonic1 and LL#2
Like Apple, maybe if Tesla manufactured their product in China too they would be more efficient.

..oh wait

Lol. I would be totally fine with taking an imported Model X refresh if they were made in China 😄 Maybe that's our issue.
From all accounts the quality out of the China factory is higher than Fremont. I’d probably be ok with a MiC X at this point as well.

Might be a factor of the Fremont factory being a really old design compared to the newer factories. Lot of the innovations in manufacturing tesla has achieved the last few years are only in the new factories.

..oh wait

We went to Iceland this summer and rented a brand new MIC Model 3. Great build quality.

I don’t think people in this range are stretching their money, maybe a few are but I would venture to say not many. People in the model Y and model 3 range may be, but once you get to a 6 figure purchase it’s kind of hard to stretch yourself unless you’re totally careless with money and throw caution to the wind…. I think the point people are trying to make by mentioning the amount is that Tesla treats us horribly despite the fact that we are spending a significant amount of money on their products. If I buy a $1000 iPad from Apple and it’s delayed and they don’t communicate with me I wouldn’t mind so much….. now if I’m spending 100 times that on a product, I expect some communication at the very least… make sense?
Again, I understand the frustrations. Honestly I am frustrated as well.

Also, I would be frustrated even if my FOUR FIGURE iPad delivery time is delayed.

Now that it’s clear I won’t be taking delivery until next year, I’ve bought winter tires for my existing MX and—having gone through the various stages of grief—have finally accepted that I’ll be paying an extra 10k or so on account of the Canadian luxury tax (which kicks in next year).

So now actually I’d be just as happy not receiving the car until April once winter is over and I can truly enjoy all the features of the car. (April ironically was my EDD back on 1/29/21 when I ordered, just the wrong April.)

Also, I’ve decided it’s not my problem that Tesla won’t hire a single Communications person to occasionally send updated info to customers and SA’s. I’ll love my new MX whenever it arrives, and in another four years when I buy another car I think we’ll all be shocked at the amount of quality competition and choice out there. In the meantime I’m very glad this TMC Forum exists, so we can glean even tiny bits of info about what’s going on, and also just for the comradery. Thank you all!

Sad we were all getting along until recent changes.....
Agreed. I think that we are all frustrated. Experience tells me that we tend to take our frustration out on others when we don’t have the ability to do it with those that are responsible. I had fantasies of driving my family around and showing of my X and have no idea how to plan for transportation in work and life because I can‘t trust the information I get from Tesla.

We are all on the same boat:
Yes we want our Tesla
Yes Tesla is trying, they want to sell cars
Yes, we will be happy and say ”Sir may I have another“ in the hopes we get our VIN

But, yes Tesla, despite good employees trying, has:
Horrible communication
Horrible customer service
Horrible production line info to its staff
……

Lets try to direct our frustration in the right direction.

😌

You just happened to wonder back at a suboptimal time (pandemic driven anxiety, Musk driven expectations, VIN snatching, etc.).

There is also a ton of love here: @TWENT2 talking me off the ledge. Twice. Me telling everyone how much I’m gonna miss them. @niogyn calling another TMC member “daddy”. @John in LB keeping me in check without hurling insults. @Fulkth giving @John in LB a Happy Birthday wish with a sign in his new MX. I could go on. The point is it’s not all whining here. You just walked into the room while mom and dad were arguing.
Thank you @Fulk again! I downloaded that photo and have kept it in my personal archives...

Reactions: lexus26 and jbrowdy