Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday my world changed a bit. Our family dog passed away. Having to explain it to our four year old twins was very hard. The boy didn’t take it well and kept crying asking “who am I gonna pet now!?!!!” while the girl kept yelling. Weird how we all mourn different. The dog had been my wife’s since before we got married so she took it extra hard. The dog was also my only coworker nowadays since I work from home. So damn depressing. To top off the day, the wife got a message from her work at lunch time saying that a lot of people that had attended her company’s holiday party were testing positive for Covid. I went to the grocery store and picked up some home tests only to find out the twins and wife are positive. I’m somehow negative. But this means we cannot travel for a few weeks due to this as we were planning to visit my 91 year old grandma. We are gonna go get “real” tests today as I don’t trust home tests but I’m pretty sure the family has covid if everyone else at wife’s work does too.

The crappy thing that got me down is that the reason we got six seats in the MX was for my dog. She will never get to see it now and enjoy the road-trips. But I’ll be here to pick it up assuming I don’t become positive.
Sorry to hear that

• Love
Reactions: Stro
They are making white interiors. I got a call from Tesla that my MX arrived from Fremont last night. We will take delivery in the next few days once the inspection process is done.

We were originally scheduled to pick it up on the 20th but it arrived sooner than they expected.

I’ve also seen a few others take delivery with white interior!
Congratulations, what is your order date and which SC are you taking delivery in Texas?

I'm with you completely! I'm a March order and never got the call or the option to change.
This makes the 6 seat call list shorter... it is only as deep as March.

Also, there may be some confusion about seat colors... both black and white statements could be correct. Current deliveries are based on production over the past month+ which I think where white... while this week they could be producing black, that we will see delivered soon... maybe January.

Very little is shared between X and S. 30% is the number that comes to mind. Read Elon's tweets on how staff pulled him back from the Model X's Cliffs of Insanity when it came time to design the Y. With the Y they reversed the numbers and shot for 70% of the parts being the same between the 3 and Y.
What's wild about S and X, to me anyway, is not only is there so little non-powertrain commonality with Model S (dash and some parts of the front seats and steering wheel and some switchgear inside I guess?), but there's no commonality with any other car ever made. Those doors and the windscreen design, and the novel body shell design they require...it's really something else. If you were walking up to the car in 1997 from behind you'd wonder why it had t-tops.

Not just no commonality, but an increase in number of parts of what...6-7%? Maybe more? Then the sheer mass of the thing relative to S. How they made money on it, I'll never guess. I suppose maybe they haven't made any money on it until fairly recently (like, 2019, which is actually more like bronze age in tesla years). It's astounding that there are going to be hundreds of thousands of these weirdass things on the road by the time the party is over

Last edited:
This makes the 6 seat call list shoeryer... it is only as deep as March.

Also, there may be some confusion about seat colors... both black and white statements could be correct. Current deliveries are based on production over the past month+ which I think where white... while this week they could be producing black, that we will see delivered soon... maybe January.
Maybe. But they may have taken more than order date into account when choosing who to call. Hell, it may have been partially a lottery system.

What's wild about S and X, to me anyway, is not only is there almost no non-powertrain commonality with Model S, but there's no commonality with any other car ever made. Those doors and the windscreen design, and the novel body shell design they require...it's really something else. If you were walking up to the car in 1997 from behind you'd wonder why it had t-tops.

Not just no commonality, but an increase in number of parts of what...6-7%? Maybe more? Then the sheer mass of the thing relative to S. How they made money on it, I'll never guess. I suppose maybe they haven't made any money on it until fairly recently (like, 2019, which is actually more like bronze age in tesla years). It's astounding that there are going to be hundreds of thousands of these weirdass things on the road by the time the party is over
Do they make much money on the S and X? Both, but especially the X, seem to be more halo (look at what we built!!!) cars and don't sell a lot relative to the 3 and Y.

Reactions: John in LB and Stro
Yesterday my world changed a bit. Our family dog passed away. Having to explain it to our four year old twins was very hard. The boy didn’t take it well and kept crying asking “who am I gonna pet now!?!!!” while the girl kept yelling. Weird how we all mourn different. The dog had been my wife’s since before we got married so she took it extra hard. The dog was also my only coworker nowadays since I work from home. So damn depressing. To top off the day, the wife got a message from her work at lunch time saying that a lot of people that had attended her company’s holiday party were testing positive for Covid. I went to the grocery store and picked up some home tests only to find out the twins and wife are positive. I’m somehow negative. But this means we cannot travel for a few weeks due to this as we were planning to visit my 91 year old grandma. We are gonna go get “real” tests today as I don’t trust home tests but I’m pretty sure the family has covid if everyone else at wife’s work does too.

The crappy thing that got me down is that the reason we got six seats in the MX was for my dog. She will never get to see it now and enjoy the road-trips. But I’ll be here to pick it up assuming I don’t become positive.
Sorry to hear that man

• Love
Reactions: Stro
Dogs do not live as long as people, so it is understandable that many dog lovers will be exposed to this tremendous grief going through life.

There is a poem about the Rainbow Bridge (Google it) that helps many deal with the loss.

The Model X has been great in helping us deal with Covid. No longer need to go to dirty gas stations. We often take shorter day trips, often pulling off to the side, bringing out our picnic table and just enjoying a meal by outself in pretty roadside areas. Dogs love riding in the back. For some reason our Golden was much more relaxed and at ease in our Tesla than in our previous gasser SUVs.

Do they make much money on the S and X? Both, but especially the X, seem to be more halo (look at what we built!!!) cars and don't sell a lot relative to the 3 and Y.
You’re not wrong there. In an podcast with Joe Rogan, Elon called the X the Fabergé Egg of cars and an insane exercise in hubris.

Full recap of all the silly crazy little things they developed for the X from that interview: Joe Rogan's interview with Elon Musk on February 10, 2021. Discuss Space X, Roadster 2.0 and Model S Plaid+

They claim the S/X are profit heavy and 3/Y are more close-margin, volume cars. Though at current pricing I wouldn't be surprised if that's inflated quite a bit. Also, at least on X, a lot of the body (and by body I also mean all the stampings and weldments you can't see that make up the majority of a unibody's cost and mass) seems to carry over to the refresh. That tooling is all paid for at this point I'd expect. But the up-front costs on X in particular, holy balls

According to the Musk Super Secret business plan, the expensive Roadster was designed to give them experience building electric cars, and provide the funding to develop the higher volume S and X. The profits and experience from building the S & X enabled the development of the lower cost and higher volume 3 and Y. The S & X provided the seed money and options to go public and finance the amazing SuperCharger network.

People buying 3 and Y should feel grateful for the path building heavy lifting by the S & X.

The S & X have world class aluminum chassis, all aluminum body panels and best in class aerodynamics, Adaptive Air Suspension and High Speed Supercharging. These cars made possible the Service center network and remote Ranger field service program.

3&Y required a lower cost steel framework and body panels. Now they are also being upgraded to aluminum alloy large castings to advance the art of car building.

Every roll out of new Tesla vehicles is improved by the hard work and experience gained by the previous generations.

No one vehicle is "better" than another, as they are each designed for a different market segment. The S is a beautiful quiet and smooth riding long distance comfortable sedan with a great hatch back design. Model 3 is the more compact and nimble city car. Firmer ride and more responsive.

Everyone that attended was vaccinated. That's the crazy thing. We will see what the variant is that comes up after my test (assuming they can tell you that).
Not surprising at all. I have been doing covid testing for over a year. It's BS that they know what variant. I am doing over 30000 tests a day around the country and only around 2-4% are positive. You cant see the variant most of the time because only a very specific type of PCR test that requires manually looking through a microscope can tell you. It is too expansive and slow. Most PCR tests are done with a machine called ACULA. It gets results in 30 mins and says either detected or not.

As we sit waiting for Godot... I mean our new Model Xes... frustrated out of our minds by whatever it is that has been delaying production, I thought it might be a good idea to take a step back and look at what we're doing. Yes, many buy Teslas because of the insanely great tech. Many love driving by gas stations knowing the only thing they'll be needing those for in the future is to buy snacks when they're out and about. Some are enticed to buy an X because of "the mission," seeing the need to transition off fossil fuels ASAP if we're all to survive. Just a couple of reminders...

1. It really doesn't matter what the root cause(s) of the production delays are. It's something, it is apparently real, and that means we sit and wait and wait and wait. What does matter is Fremont is obviously making Xes again in larger quantities. The issue(s) have already or are in the resolve stage. Our Xes are coming.

2. We know that the darned things are worth the wait. The few reports on this forum demonstrate the Refreshed X is indeed a marvel. Yep, there are a few complaining about FWD doors that don't operate properly and so forth. This is to be expected during the initial production phase. The kinks will be ironed out, they always are because it's in the best interest of any manufacturer to fix the glitch. The upside for those who are still waiting, waiting, waiting is whatever the initial production line problems are, you probably won't encounter near the # of glitches the happy campers did the past 10 days or so. That's just the way it goes.

3. If you're one of those idealists who believe in "the mission" then here's something to think about in the 2021 Energy Outlook report just released by the Energy Information Administration (EIA). Please note that the EIA loves to make projections on future energy production/consumption and they're invariably wrong. EIA has a history of predicting that Coal, for example, will halt its decline with electricity production from coal plants stabilizing for the foreseeable future. Their forecasters have typically vastly underestimated the collapse of coal as a fuel to make electricity. They apparently have never heard of the S-curve. If they have, they don't believe it. That said, the following quote is from the 2021 EIA Press Release on its annual Energy Outlook report:
By 2026, global renewable electricity capacity is forecast to rise more than 60% from 2020 levels to over 4 800 GW – equivalent to the current total global power capacity of fossil fuels and nuclear combined. Renewables are set to account for almost 95% of the increase in global power capacity through 2026, with solar PV alone providing more than half. The amount of renewable capacity added over the period of 2021 to 2026 is expected to be 50% higher than from 2015 to 2020.

4. So, the next time some boohoo tells you EVs are dirty, or you write/electronically send that outrageous monthly payment for your shiny new MX and wonder if you're crazy to be doing this, or your whacky uncle tells you you're an idiot for spending that much money on a freaking car, remember that: 1) That Tesla you're driving is emitting zero CO2 into the atmosphere; 2) the electricity you're using to charge it grows cleaner by the day; and 3) where you can't make power yourself outside of adding solar panels to the roof of your car, you can say: "Hey! I don't own a power plant, but by driving this MX I'm doing my part to make sure we don't turn this lovely planet into another Venus. And I'm having a blast doing it! What are you doing, Uncle Whacky?"

He's doing nothing, but you are and that alone is worth continuing to wait, and wait and wait. It's almost over, hang in there a little longer.

Hi,
Sorry for the loss to my Houston colleague ...

I just spoke to a SA. Nothing new. She (nice and very responsive) said that finally the factory is ramping up production. When I said that I previously had a VIN number assigned, then removed and when called to ask what happen was told that I will receive a new one soon... she said that we received those VIN numbers of pre-production vehicles (whatever that means) and that is why the removed them. She said that as soon as a vehicle matches my configuration and delivery location I will get a new VIN... In other words... please keep waiting. As you can see nothing new.

Hi,
Sorry for the loss to my Houston colleague ...

I just spoke to a SA. Nothing new. She (nice and very responsive) said that finally the factory is ramping up production. When I said that I previously had a VIN number assigned, then removed and when called to ask what happen was told that I will receive a new one soon... she said that we received those VIN numbers of pre-production vehicles (whatever that means) and that is why the removed them. She said that as soon as a vehicle matches my configuration and delivery location I will get a new VIN... In other words... please keep waiting. As you can see nothing new.
Exactly what I was told in Michigan about my removed VIN. It’s actually really nice that 2 people in different areas of the country were told the same thing…it increases the likelihood that it is actually true!