Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
5/7 seat Plaid
My guess is 5/7 seats aren't available to Tesla yet (backordered) and they are doing a plaid production run want to just finish those off and have something to make/not change the line over again, in order to hold over until they can get the seats for LR orders.
there will be no 5/7 plaids.

In Europeeven they are not taking orders for 5/7 plaid, where deliveries for new orders are at least 1.5-2 years out.

5/7 seat Plaid

there will be no 5/7 plaids.

In Europeeven they are not taking orders for 5/7 plaid, where deliveries for new orders are at least 1.5-2 years out.
Correct, my comment stated they are in a Plaid production run, don't have access to the bench seat so decided to make everyone go 6 seater so they can finish the production run. They might add it back later or just decide for simplicity it's easier.

Reactions: Stro and jboy210
A thought about ordering FSD. You can order/cancel at any time prior to delivery without losing your place in line (wherever that is, very obtuse to figure out). Should or shouldn't you order it? I did and I'm keeping it. Here's why: Elon is convinced that we're all going to let our Xes roam around in a few years picking up and discharging passengers as an auxiliary to the Tesla robo-taxi fleet. Not me. There is no way I'm going to turn a bunch of drunk, puking kids loose in my 6 figure cost vehicle on a Friday night. Not going to happen. I don't care if I could pick up $20-30k shuffling people around, they won't respect MY X like I will. There's also the possibility, at least early on, that some brain dead ICE devotees, still resentful of the changeover to EVs, will do a little coal rolling inside my car. That's not going to happen.

That said, Tesla is making fast progress on FSD. Ready for prime time? Not yet, but watching the Galileos and Mauers take theirs out for spins using FSD, there's no doubt it will be ready sooner versus later. I don't think it's still 5 years away like Galileo does, more like 2 years. AI learns quickly.

Back to Elon. So, to order FSD or not? I'd say yes. You'll want FSD when you take long trips on a freeway. It gets pretty boring holding onto the steering wheel, enduring traffic jams and so forth on a trip. FSD reduces the fatigue. I used Enhanced Auto Pilot on trips when I owned a 90D and that was the result I got. Friday, Elon announced the cost for FSD goes from $10k to $12k in 10 days. The price is only going to increase as FSD that truly works moves closer to reality. You can sign up for the monthly subscription -- currently $199 -- by why should you? That's $2,400 a year. In 4 years you're up to the full purchase price if you had bought it up front. After that, you're losing money.

Buy a subscription only when you're taking your annual cross country drive on vacation and then cancel? Yeah, you can do that.

Then there's this: You go out to dinner, have one too many glasses of wine. How to get home safely? You could turn on FSD. Heck, you might even be able to argue successfully in court in case FSD screws up that they should be fining the car for erratic driving, not you for DUI. Yeah, yeah, I know that wouldn't work, but it's fun to think about. How does your X work off its sentence, chauffeuring the judge around for 6 months?

Anyway, I ordered FSD. A couple of times I thought about dumping it, especially given my reluctance to fill my car with drunken strangers when I'm not there. But there are advantages. I've, however, decided to keep it because of the advantages it offers for my future convenience.

What are you guys doing? How do you feel about it? If you're still considering ordering FSD and haven't, I'd do it quick because it's about to cost more and probably more than $12,000 by the end of 2022 given Elon's faith in a driverless future. (I think that's coming to a certain extent, but not as quickly or completely as some futurists like Tony Seba believe). Heck, I like to drive when it's not bumper to bumper and don't want to give that up.

Something to kick around as we wait... and wait... and wait.

A thought about ordering FSD. You can order/cancel at any time prior to delivery without losing your place in line (wherever that is, very obtuse to figure out). Should or shouldn't you order it? I did and I'm keeping it. Here's why: Elon is convinced that we're all going to let our Xes roam around in a few years picking up and discharging passengers as an auxiliary to the Tesla robo-taxi fleet. Not me. There is no way I'm going to turn a bunch of drunk, puking kids loose in my 6 figure cost vehicle on a Friday night. Not going to happen. I don't care if I could pick up $20-30k shuffling people around, they won't respect MY X like I will. There's also the possibility, at least early on, that some brain dead ICE devotees, still resentful of the changeover to EVs, will do a little coal rolling inside my car. That's not going to happen.

That said, Tesla is making fast progress on FSD. Ready for prime time? Not yet, but watching the Galileos and Mauers take theirs out for spins using FSD, there's no doubt it will be ready sooner versus later. I don't think it's still 5 years away like Galileo does, more like 2 years. AI learns quickly.

Back to Elon. So, to order FSD or not? I'd say yes. You'll want FSD when you take long trips on a freeway. It gets pretty boring holding onto the steering wheel, enduring traffic jams and so forth on a trip. FSD reduces the fatigue. I used Enhanced Auto Pilot on trips when I owned a 90D and that was the result I got. Friday, Elon announced the cost for FSD goes from $10k to $12k in 10 days. The price is only going to increase as FSD that truly works moves closer to reality. You can sign up for the monthly subscription -- currently $199 -- by why should you? That's $2,400 a year. In 4 years you're up to the full purchase price if you had bought it up front. After that, you're losing money.

Buy a subscription only when you're taking your annual cross country drive on vacation and then cancel? Yeah, you can do that.

Then there's this: You go out to dinner, have one too many glasses of wine. How to get home safely? You could turn on FSD. Heck, you might even be able to argue successfully in court in case FSD screws up that they should be fining the car for erratic driving, not you for DUI. Yeah, yeah, I know that wouldn't work, but it's fun to think about. How does your X work off its sentence, chauffeuring the judge around for 6 months?

Anyway, I ordered FSD. A couple of times I thought about dumping it, especially given my reluctance to fill my car with drunken strangers when I'm not there. But there are advantages. I've, however, decided to keep it because of the advantages it offers for my future convenience.

What are you guys doing? How do you feel about it? If you're still considering ordering FSD and haven't, I'd do it quick because it's about to cost more and probably more than $12,000 by the end of 2022 given Elon's faith in a driverless future. (I think that's coming to a certain extent, but not as quickly or completely as some futurists like Tony Seba believe). Heck, I like to drive when it's not bumper to bumper and don't want to give that up.

Something to kick around as we wait... and wait... and wait.
Definitely don’t drink and drive. But FSD absolutely makes driving FAR better, FAR less tiring, and IMO more fun.

Get FSD

It’s different, my buddy has legacy and refresh and won’t fit.
That’s my experience too. I picked up my 2022 MX Plaid last night (see page 805, post 16,097 for pics) and have been noting the subtle diffs vs my 2019 MX P100D. The middle row floor area has been subtlety modified. For example, the cutouts for the two mono-post seats are slightly deeper. From a physical design perspective, the car looks nearly identical to the 2019 on the outside (except lower facia tweaks front and rear) but based on my early experience with the car, I am convinced Tesla tweaked absolutely *everything* under the skin and in the interior. The motors for the auto-presenting doors are so much quieter now, and feel sturdier. The sound they make is somehow more purposeful (can’t think of a better word) and less whiney than the previous model. When the driver’s side door auto-closes (when pressing the brake pedal) it’s no longer slammed shut. It “motors” shut, with force, but not as much force as my 2019 — just enough to engage the soft-close feature to complete the job. It feels way more premium. Same goes for the motor driving the trunk.

And speaking of the lower facia, the housing for the lower turn signals, fog lights and running lights is really a thing of beauty vs the affordance for same on my 2019. See photo I captured of the 2022 implementation at 3/4 angle to show both light sources contained in the housing. The housing is largely hollow, but reflective. There are small LEDs: two white LED strips exposed (at least it appears to be two), and two small individual LEDs behind an amber reflector. From the side view, the amber color appears to bathe the housing in amber light (parking lights, for example) while the same space viewed head-on has the effect of being bathed in white light. Love the thought that went into such a simple, unassuming part of the car.

9C07DDAF-91EF-45A2-A874-FF26A0575937.jpeg

Last edited:
Personally I am buying the MX as a work vehicle.

Even with the seats folded down on the 6 or 7 seat versions that would remove too much space for me. There are plenty of times where I have packed it to the ceiling.

This is something Tesla apparently does not realize there is a market for. They call the MX an SUV (utility vehicle) but in reality if they are forcing passenger capacity over utility they should call the MX a minivan.
What kind of stuff do you normally load up? I am not defending, just curious if that can fit with the second row folded although not completely flat. I guess if it’s stuff like long pieces of lumber the second row not completely folding down would be an issue. But other smaller stuff but higher volume could fit with the second row folded down?

Again, to be clear, I am not defending this move by Tesla at all but trying to understand the use cases for large amount of cargo.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
For those of us without a VIN, here's hoping when we finally get our car it will have updated matrix headlights. With both the 3 and Y having matrix, there is no doubt it will come to S/X. Just a matter of when. I'm guessing they are just working through existing inventory.
That's why I don't mind waiting. Each delay just means a chance of receiving better tech in the final product.

Actually considering adding FSD to my Blue 7seat MX Plaid, 20”. Only 814 pages deep but can someone remind me if this would kick me back to the bottom of the list should I do that? Guess I also need to sort out the 7 to 6 seat issue.

From what we know so far, adding or removing FSD has no effect on your place "in line", whatever that means!

Bruce.

Actually considering adding FSD to my Blue 7seat MX Plaid, 20”. Only 814 pages deep but can someone remind me if this would kick me back to the bottom of the list should I do that? Guess I also need to sort out the 7 to 6 seat issue.
I added FSD after ordering the MX, it didn't kick me back in line. However, who the f knows anymore since there seems to be no logic on recent actions

What kind of stuff do you normally load up? I am not defending, just curious if that can fit with the second row folded although not completely flat. I guess if it’s stuff like long pieces of lumber the second row not completely folding down would be an issue. But other smaller stuff but higher volume could fit with the second row folded down?

Again, to be clear, I am not defending this move by Tesla at all but trying to understand the use cases for large amount of cargo.
Broadcast equipment between the field/venue and the studio. Typically large anvil cases and Pelican cases. In my old 5-seat MX I could fold the 2nd row down and tetris in bundles of cable on the floor behind the driver seat.
1641682572216.png

I understand the need for a 6/7 seat MX if it's primary purpose is a family vehicle. Personally in lieu of owning say both a MS and a Suburban (for instance), the MX is my 2-in-1 daily drive + work vehicle.

The real killer is the inability for the second row seats to fold. Outside of my work life this applies to daily life as well - for instance I bought a new workbench at Home Depot about a year ago - no way it would fit if the middle row wouldn't fold. I also helped a neighbor pick up a dresser from Ikea one time. (just trying to give use cases everyone can relate to) These two instances my 5-seat MX worked like a charm.

I have a reservation for the 5-seat LR model but I have to stand up for my fellow Plaid owners as well. Sometimes I just don't understand this company we love so much 😅

I am getting a $5k discount. $3k for going from 7 to 6; $2k for pre-refresh order.
Delivery window of q1.
Does not apply to regular X
Tesla will not be making 5/7 plaids ever.
Tesla plans (for now) to be able to make 5/7 regular X.
Apologies ahead of time if someone made this request already. Would you be able to ask your “little birdie” if they are going to deliver any LR 5/7 seaters this year. I am wishing with all my might to squash the news that we won’t be seeing any of those until 2023. Thank you!

Reactions: EV3_ and gglockner