Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just want to know how we will know which version of the MY we will get as they are being made in Texas and Fremont.

Yeah, I’m sure that’s going to be kept pretty quiet to prevent a massive Osborne Effect with the MY.

Fortunately, Tesla won’t be able to hide it from the VIN, since the Austin demarcation will be one of the characters.

I just want to know how we will know which version of the MY we will get as they are being made in Texas and Fremont.
I just picked up a Y today. Rolled the dice. So far it’s the best made Tesla I’ve owned and better than my pre-raven X in every way. It’s making me question my X order, especially once 4680 Ys come out.

I think I may have dealt with the least helpful SA at my pick up today. I tried asking about the 5/7 (as I also have/had a 5 seat LR on order from earlier 2021) and basically got zero information. All she said was that if you order a 6 seater you will get it earlier (thanks, duh).

On another note, did not notice any major issues with my vehicle upon delivery. Can tell it was straight from the factory as still has some small shavings and manufacturing bits in the nooks and crannies.

Accidentally honked the horn a few times turning with the yoke, but otherwise pretty easy to transition.

Came with Michelin sport tires (20")

Wondering…is doing this kind of detailed inspection before accepting delivery common? Is this just a Tesla thing? Or buying an expensive car thing?
My opinion on delivery refusal:

There has been a lot of discussion on this topic lately. There certainly is the school of thought that if a car has many issues at delivery that it will have issues in the future. This is true to many extents.

However -
I personally would not refuse delivery for cosmetic and/or fit & finish issues as others have in the past. These issues are the product of one weak link in the assembly line chain and do not necessarily reflect the overall build of the car but rather the technician responsible for that piece of assembly. These types of issues can typically be easily addressed by the Service Center or even a mobile service visit.

No doubt it is a bummer getting a new toy that came broken, but my two cents is to really think about the issue on a case by case basis and consider if it can be easily addressed or if you believe it is reflective of the entire build as a whole. Keep in mind once delivery is refused there is no guarantee if they will fix the car assigned to you or put you in the back of the queue.

For clarification, I am referring to delivery refusal for minor issues. Any major mechanical issues are a huge red flag and obvious justification for delivery refusal. 🚩

Reactions: studioloft