Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR ordered July 2021 with March 2022 window

Changed reservation to Plaid last week with March 2022 window

Saw this just now (but definitely not optimistic) - so correct me if I’m wrong but VIN will be assigned few days closer to the window, then followed by a narrower window before getting scheduled for pickup?
Interesting. I put in another order for Plaid, thinking if I changed the LR to Plaid it'll put me in the back of the order line. I guess I'll try this. Was there a number you called to do it? Like many, I don't know who my SA is.

• Love
Reactions: DelPhonic1
Tesla is a car manufacturer with a market cap that sits just over $900,000,000,000.00.
I just don't buy that this car company cant make car seats.
Many car companies design the seat in-house and outsource seat production to other companies. Tesla is somewhat unique in making the bucket seats in house.

Another thought is that Tesla simply does not want to make the X bench seat anymore. The X is a low-volume car and this seat is another unique part they have to stock and install differently for the X. One way car companies cut cost is to make all the cars as much as they can that same.

Last edited:
GUYS.... get this sh*t. I already submitted everything and bank has commenced the payment side. Switched insurance to take care of the car for now and was even about to head to CarMax tomorrow to sell it.

Tesla just called to tell me they 'matched me with a September 2020 order holder's car'. He was very apologetic and kept asking permission to unmatch so that person could get their car in San Antonio. I guess I'm too much of a nice guy and said ok. He promised that any car that becomes available in Texas will come to me at my pricing. I said I didn't care about interior or exterior color.

So back in the waiting pool I go. I'm angry at myself. I want to be angry at the dude for making the mistake of assigning it to two people, but holy crap. Emotional rollercoaster.
I think that you enjoy waiting with us and didn't want to make us feel too bad... You've probably passed on dozens of cars 😂

I'm kidding. You are truly a good human being. Glad to know you @Stro

• Love
Reactions: Stro
Interesting. I put in another order for Plaid, thinking if I changed the LR to Plaid it'll put me in the back of the order line. I guess I'll try this. Was there a number you called to do it? Like many, I don't know who my SA is.
@Stro can attest to this too - I called the local SC and just asked sales; they said if I upgraded my LR reservation to Plaid I wouldn’t lose my place in line (if you order a Plaid with another RN then of course you go back of the line)

Reactions: Stro
@Stro can attest to this too - I called the local SC and just asked sales; they said if I upgraded my LR reservation to Plaid I wouldn’t lose my place in line (if you order a Plaid with another RN then of course you go back of the line)
Ok Thanks! I guess I will call the 510 number that was on here. When I call local SC they just route back to fremont I believe

Cargo
Does the 6-seat work for your cargo? I agree with the suggestion that you should test it, preferably with a vehicle in your area. My guess is that a string bass should work if you put the neck between the captain chairs. For me, the 6-seater is more problematic as I regularly carry a pair of Pakayak kayaks in summer.

This brings up the crux of my issues with going with the X in a 6 seater config - actually any config. I'm mulling over being able to take this with the family to getting outdoors and doing things like skiing and mountain biking on top of the daily ferrying, etc. Every which way, I see compromise. 6 seater limits the usability of the cargo space, 7 seater wouldn't allow for longer gear between the seats. Hitch loads are...borderline piss poor useless at 120 pound vertical load (useless with a family). No real ability to carry cargo on the roof as much I as I hear people using suction mounts - I simply don't trust it. It has me leaning toward the Y because it's the most versatile of the Teslas, with both a hitch and roof racks but I'm NOT fond of the ride, nor are my kids. On top of that, I see that using racks means compromises when trying to use the Superchargers. I don't particularly like the CyberTruck - after looking at some of the pictures, I think there's going to be the same compromises.

I take one look at the Rivian R1T and R1S and see most of the issues mitigated. Yes, they're a start-up. No, they've really not gotten production rolling (as I think neither does Tesla for the Model X) and have potential issues over battery sourcing. Front charging means no interference with hitch mounts. A versatile mount system designed for carrying skis, bikes, kayaks, etc. Gear guard - a locking system built-in. Built-in air pump, built-in power sources and clearly built for offroading while being composed on the road. To be fair, it's built to go offroading, I don't think any Tesla would do likewise.

The one thing that holds me back - Supercharging network. Yes, the alternatives are coming but they're years behind at best.

First world problems.

/rant done.

I ordered a model y performance w cash payment about 2 months ago and just got VIN. Also have a 5 seat LR order from June. Ordered the Plaid last month and got deliver date. All these cars are with no financing and just cash payoff. Got a delivery date range for Feb 17 - March 5 a couple days ago. Do you guys think they look at this when assigning the deliveries and VINs?

• Love
This brings up the crux of my issues with going with the X in a 6 seater config - actually any config. I'm mulling over being able to take this with the family to getting outdoors and doing things like skiing and mountain biking on top of the daily ferrying, etc. Every which way, I see compromise. 6 seater limits the usability of the cargo space, 7 seater wouldn't allow for longer gear between the seats. Hitch loads are...borderline piss poor useless at 120 pound vertical load (useless with a family). No real ability to carry cargo on the roof as much I as I hear people using suction mounts - I simply don't trust it. It has me leaning toward the Y because it's the most versatile of the Teslas, with both a hitch and roof racks but I'm NOT fond of the ride, nor are my kids. On top of that, I see that using racks means compromises when trying to use the Superchargers. I don't particularly like the CyberTruck - after looking at some of the pictures, I think there's going to be the same compromises.

I take one look at the Rivian R1T and R1S and see most of the issues mitigated. Yes, they're a start-up. No, they've really not gotten production rolling (as I think neither does Tesla for the Model X) and have potential issues over battery sourcing. Front charging means no interference with hitch mounts. A versatile mount system designed for carrying skis, bikes, kayaks, etc. Gear guard - a locking system built-in. Built-in air pump, built-in power sources and clearly built for offroading while being composed on the road. To be fair, it's built to go offroading, I don't think any Tesla would do likewise.

The one thing that holds me back - Supercharging network. Yes, the alternatives are coming but they're years behind at best.

First world problems.

/rant done.
If you look in the Y forums you see a number of buyers wanted an X for day-to-day driving but ended up with a Y because of their weekend and sports needs. The falcon-wing doors make it very difficult/hazardous to put things on the roof.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I ordered a model y performance w cash payment about 2 months ago and just got VIN. Also have a 5 seat LR order from June. Ordered the Plaid last month and got deliver date. All these cars are with no financing and just cash payoff. Got a delivery date range for Feb 17 - March 5 a couple days ago. Do you guys think they look at this when assigning the deliveries and VINs?
As long as you have the money immediately they are not going to care. But, if you can't give them the money in 3 days they will move on.

If you look in the Y forums you see a number of buyers wanted an X for day-to-day driving but ended up with a Y because of their weekend and sports needs. The falcon-wing doors make it very difficult/hazardous to put things on the roof.
We've got one. So, I've got some choices to make. Maybe use the Y more consistently for regular excursions, the X for other things. Still doesn't feel fully right to me.

We've got one. So, I've got some choices to make. Maybe use the Y more consistently for regular excursions, the X for other things. Still doesn't feel fully right to me.
It is a difficult choice. Especially since the size of the vehicles is not that different. But, if you need 2 vehicles, why not get both?

Yeah but we know that being in the back of the Plaid line is a shorter wait now than being in the front of the LR line

Not true that they CAN. In Elons own words. Model cars are easy to make, production volume is hard.

If the issue is truly the bench seats which is fairly confirmed to not be a Tesla in house make, it makes sense for those delays.
All tesla model X seats are made in house. The model X is the reason they moved seats to in house to start with years ago because they had supply chain woes (Google the old electrek articles on this topic).

• Helpful
Reactions: studioloft