Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talk to @gglockner he’s in a very similar situation
You called? 😉

Two things here:

Cargo
Does the 6-seat work for your cargo? I agree with the suggestion that you should test it, preferably with a vehicle in your area. My guess is that a string bass should work if you put the neck between the captain chairs. For me, the 6-seater is more problematic as I regularly carry a pair of Pakayak kayaks in summer.

Selling second vehicle
What to do with 2 vehicles? For me, I have absolutely no need for 2 Model X. So the question is what to do with the 2nd. If I do take delivery on the refresh, I will have to sell my 2018 Model X. My recent experience with selling my 2014 Model S was painful: the Tesla trade-in offer was nowhere close to its value, other businesses (Zoom, Carvana, Shift, CarMax, etc.) were a bit below what I wanted, and too many flakes and scammers when trying to sell to a private buyer. I wound up selling to a local luxury car dealer, who took one month to pay and never returned my phone calls. However, with a newer vehicle with far fewer miles, I hope and believe that commercial offers will be much more reasonable. Conversely, considering the hassles of trying to sell an 8-year old Tesla to a private buyer, there’s no way I would sell a newer Tesla to a private buyer. And that goes double for trying to flip the new vehicle - much too big of a chance for a scam, buyer’s remorse, etc. So in short, I would only consider the Tesla trade-in along with other commercial buyers.

Finally, one tip on pricing of a used vehicle: I found the online valuation tools are not that accurate. The way to get an accurate valuation is to search the closed/completed listings on eBay Motors since they show actual prices paid. That said, I’m still hesitant to sell such a valuable car on eBay for the reasons I mentioned earlier: flakes, scams, buyer’s remorse, etc.

We haven't seen any delivered but we have confirmed the existence of both. Others have spotted 5 and 7 seaters in showrooms.

In other words we know that Tesla can produce them, they are just choosing not to.

My guess - as long as they continue to call 5/7 seat Plaid orders and offer free "upgrades" to 6, they wont even consider shipping the 5/7 seat LR.
Not true that they CAN. In Elons own words. Model cars are easy to make, production volume is hard.

If the issue is truly the bench seats which is fairly confirmed to not be a Tesla in house make, it makes sense for those delays.

Outside of the anomalies (which there are many), I feel like we are still in the late-Jan/Feb order date deliveries of LR. For those of us in May, it seems like the delivery is FAR away. We just don’t know the production or delivery rate to get any kind of estimate besides “not anytime soon”.

I know I am not saying anything new but just venting.

I'm also a May order, but i think it won't be that bad. Looking at the stats from the spreadsheet it seems like these are what increase the chance of VIN rate:
Seats: 26% of 6 seaters VINed, vs 0% of 5/7
Trim: 31% of plaid VINed, vs 13% for LR
Order Month: ~25% Dec\Jan\Feb orders VINed, vs 10% or less for most other months. March is slowly increasing though.
Region: 25% of Pacific VINed, vs 17% for next highest region.
FSD: 20% VINed, vs 12% without
Wheel, and interior\exterior color seems not particularly relevant.

One thing to note is that it looks like while most current VIN\deliveries are Jan\Feb OD, those months had WAY more orders than the following months. I suspect once they clear through that backlog they will make much more rapid progress moving through the March\April\May order dates.
1644074218919.png

Isn't Fremont is the only place the X and S are made?
Yes. But they could ship production to Austin pretty easily given the low production numbers of S and X and space to expand at that Austin site. Then they could shut down Fremont and sell the land for a ton of cash, depending upon how the deal with the city, state, and feds was structured. At the old factory site, someone could put up hundreds of homes in Silicon Valley which is worth a lot of money.

Not true that they CAN. In Elons own words. Model cars are easy to make, production volume is hard.

If the issue is truly the bench seats which is fairly confirmed to not be a Tesla in house make, it makes sense for those delays.
Tesla is a car manufacturer with a market cap that sits just over $900,000,000,000.00.
I just don't buy that this car company cant make car seats.

Yes. But they could ship production to Austin pretty easily given the low production numbers of S and X and space to expand at that Austin site. Then they could shut down Fremont and sell the land for a ton of cash, depending upon how the deal with the city, state, and feds was structured. At the old factory site, someone could put up hundreds of homes in Silicon Valley which is worth a lot of money.
Have you been to Fremont? It’s not exactly the heart of Silicon Valley.

They can do Y and 3 very easily. Remember that tent miraculously springing up outta thin air at Fremont? S and X seem like they're moving heaven, wait lets adjust tectonic plates a few more times, now move earth again, each time they begin production. So it may seem easy on paper.

Well if you are 5/7 we are still faaaaaaaar away because even 2020 orders are still queued for those :(.

It’s frustrating because tesla (and others in the blogosphere and even here) act like the 6 seat is the superior more premium model. Same with the Plaid.. a bunch of us here that ordered 5/7 seat can easily afford the 6 or even the plaid, but it’s not what we want or what we need.

I want maximum range, I want maximum storage. I want to tow stuff and carry stuff every week.
Yes, I feel for the 5/7 seater orders. (I have a 6-seater by choice)

Well, just got a date range (2/14-3/4) for the first time on my LR. Was previously “March”. Just took delivery of a Plaid on 1/29. I wasn’t expecting any movement on the 05/04 LR order for a long time, so I took the Plaid (ordered 8/12).

I am seriously considering keeping the LR order and having 2X, but I wanted some more time to drive and evaluate the Plaid as it is my first X. Reading the extensive threads about the front end vibration issue worries me a little bit. I’m currently happy with my MYP, and the MY drivetrain seems to be rock solid. Oh well, given what I have seen on the forum, I will probably have longer than I think to make up my mind.

Attachments

• EDEA33E2-362E-40AB-9DEC-7683DD7F92B1.png
    EDEA33E2-362E-40AB-9DEC-7683DD7F92B1.png
    584.2 KB · Views: 64
I'm also a May order, but i think it won't be that bad. Looking at the stats from the spreadsheet it seems like these are what increase the chance of VIN rate:
Seats: 26% of 6 seaters VINed, vs 0% of 5/7
Trim: 31% of plaid VINed, vs 13% for LR
Order Month: ~25% Dec\Jan\Feb orders VINed, vs 10% or less for most other months. March is slowly increasing though.
Region: 25% of Pacific VINed, vs 17% for next highest region.
FSD: 20% VINed, vs 12% without
Wheel, and interior\exterior color seems not particularly relevant.

One thing to note is that it looks like while most current VIN\deliveries are Jan\Feb OD, those months had WAY more orders than the following months. I suspect once they clear through that backlog they will make much more rapid progress moving through the March\April\May order dates.
View attachment 765200
Good point, at least based on our sample of order data from the spreadsheet, it seems Jan/Feb had many more orders than March/April/May.
10 more days of speculating before we get bumped to April.

LR ordered July 2021 with March 2022 window

Changed reservation to Plaid last week with March 2022 window

Saw this just now (but definitely not optimistic) - so correct me if I’m wrong but VIN will be assigned few days closer to the window, then followed by a narrower window before getting scheduled for pickup?

Attachments

• 81C700DB-DE7D-4B87-AD4C-E8F677476C6B.jpeg
    81C700DB-DE7D-4B87-AD4C-E8F677476C6B.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 58
Although sorta good but kinda F’d up that delivery window is for the Plaid X I ordered in SEPTEMBER 2021 lol. My LR I ordered Jan 2021 still says march
Didn’t realize you ordered a Plaid king. Looks like you will be driving a Plaid as our LR's are lost in the Tesla parts bin somewhere in a dark corner of the factory. #delivery2025