Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also in the camp that if 5-7 seaters don't get produced and 6 seat was the only option, I'd cancel my order. I need an SUV for the utility. If they do that then I'll go else where.

I doubt they will cancel 7 seater MXLRs, just push out production. Tesla will most likely not see a value in producing 5 seaters.

Congratulations @greidy!!

I too woke up few days back to a VIN. Exact same delivery window. Our cars must be sharing a ride! I too hope it sticks. I will pass 365 mark in few days.

Plaid Red/Cream
OG 6 Seat
22” with FSD
Order: 2/21/2021
VIN: 7SAXCBE64NF3331XX
Hell yeah! Congrats as well. An SA told me our area gets them by rail but I’m not sure if that’s credible.

Reactions: Niranga and Elixir
Yeah, it's interesting and will get me cancelled for saying it but everyone constantly talks about Teslas continuous improvements and not having traditional model years. I completely disagree with that where it matters. They've been producing the X for a long time now and have not improved any of the production line issues people regularly complain about from FWD scratching off paint, to FWD and panel alignments, to lack of upper body stiffness causing internal creaking, to lack of a proper recline function on 6 seater, lack of creature comforts like an armrest in rear of X (everyone else who does captain style chairs provides an armrest), lack of second and third row storage where passengers have to basically put anything they have on the floor, the floor carpet all feels reduced in quality from early models.
i echo this..

They could also solve a lot of issues by just getting rid of the FWD. Essentially just make a bigger Y using S platform.

I'm still trying to figure out why I'm supposed to be glad Elon went on twitter and responded like he did.

• Its been over a year since they stopped production of the X.
  • They've lied to all of us, and continue to lie to all of us, about our delivery dates.
  • They admitted, looking back, a year ago shutting down the line when they had a healthy backlog was a bad idea... Wow. Really. No *sugar* Sherlock.
  • He mentioned how hard the X is to produce... again... not new information. Didn't they say this with the original X how many years back. (You know, maybe learn from your mistakes and when you refresh it, work on those sort of issues)
  • He said there is an issue with "interior trim"... maybe the one new bit of information offered. But I suspect its probably not new, and that by "interior trim" when he means is the 3 seat bench which caused them to cancel the 5/7 configuration on the Plaid, encourage early 5/7 config LRX's to switch to 6 in order to get "double secret priority" delivery, and to have shipped zero 5 or 7 seat configurations on the refreshed X.

What he didn't address
  • Will the 5/7 seat LR-X be produced in a meaningful timeframe, if at all
  • How does Tesla take into account order dates in their logistic plannings on what to produce... why are mide/late 2021 Plaid's getting fulfilled when late 2020 LR-X's still aren't
  • Why did Tesla take orders on cars they knew were not in production and a price/delivery date they knew they could not hit
  • Why did Tesla take orders on cars and the retroactively raise the price on customers.
  • Why did Tesla take $6500 on LR-X orders to switch to 6 seat with a promise of delivery by end of the year, but they did not meet that date for many, many have still not shipped, and they appear to be refusing to refund that money
  • Why has Tesla repeatedly quoted delivery times to customers which they miss badly on
  • Why does Tesla publish an "estimated delivery date" to customers which appears to be fundamentally flawed
  • Why do Tesla sales reps appear to not have basic information on production and delivery dates
  • Why do some Tesla sales reps appear to provide data which appears to be categorically false
  • Why over a year in on many orders, is Tesla still unable to provide a delivery date for many customers
  • What is Tesla doing to improve the information they provide to their customers with orders on cars
Won't even get into some of the basic production problems people see as well in terms of things like paint, gaps, door alignment, etc. I guess you could almost forgive those as "new car issues" (given though they had the same issues on the original X and also things like the paint passed QA... its still an issue)

Lets be honest, the only person who "won" and should "be thankful" of this post was Sawyer Merritt. He got more likes/subscribes to his Twitter feed because Elon replied to him.
Very well said. I’d like to buy you a beer.

One more thing to add to your list regarding the “double secret priority” for those of us who got duped into switching to the 6 seaters for a “guaranteed” delivery last year: a lot of us STILL haven’t gotten it and they are refusing to let us change back to our origional order without losing our place in line (not that this matters since Tesla has proven there is no line anyways) and if we want to change back, we have to pay the current vehicle base price. In other words, reverting to my original order will increase my sales price by $8,500.

At this point, its not even about the money, its about the principle. Im still going to patiently wait for my X, but based on my experience so far this will most likely be the first and last Tesla I will ever own.

Here is my $0.02 as a Controller working for a company that manufactures products while dealing with supply chain issues. Elon's response yesterday brought clarity for me. The number one rule in manufacturing is keep the production line moving. Nothing is more costly than a line shut down. If they are having an issue with trim specific to the 5 and 7 seaters, they would produce 6 seaters to keep the line running. They start with LR until they could get the Plaid sorted out. Then they switch to Plaid to maximize profits. Now they are doing Plaid and LR. As long as it is a 6 seater. The line is producing.

Then they realize there are not enough 6 seater orders to keep the line going until the trim issues are resolved. The answer is to convert 5 and 7 seat Plaid orders to 6 seaters only. This gives them more units to keep the lines moving until the trim issue is resolved. Based on this I think we will see 5 and 7 seaters eventually (months?) once they sort out the trim. I also think they will bring back the 5 and 7 seat Plaid, but not until everything else is sorted out.

Other delays appear to be due to airbags, headlights, etc,. As we have seen, they can still keep the line moving, fill up the lot, then add the part in later. Shipping logistics is not as big of an issue as inbound, especially exports.

I doubt they will cancel 7 seater MXLRs, just push out production. Tesla will most likely not see a value in producing 5 seaters.
If they do officially cancel the 5 seater configuration, I really hope we found out the process for those of who actually did order a 5 seater?

It sure as s**t better be paying the difference between the 5 and 6 seat options, and not for example, having to pay the full price of a new X six seater.

Theres plenty of us who have the "cheaper" legacy order, and that better be honored.

If they do officially cancel the 5 seater configuration, I really hope we found out the process for those of who actually did order a 5 seater?

It sure as s**t better be paying the difference between the 5 and 6 seat options, and not for example, having to pay the full price of a new X six seater.

Theres plenty of us who have the "cheaper" legacy order, and that better be honored.
5 is a 7 seat with less parts so it seems like something that will be made for sure unless both 5 and 7 are cancelled. If cancelled, all previous orders will be honored at the original price just like they did for my Plaid.

A Effing Men 😳

I was supposed to pick up my refreshed 5 seater Model X yesterday. They told me I was getting the first one they had seen (Coasta Mesa). I was excited because I have been waiting OVER 4 MONTHS since ordering this car. Heard they were in short supply, but common 4 MONTHS!. It was beautiful, with perfect panel gaps and paint, but I had to reject it when I noticed that it did not come with heads up display. I had that in my KIA, so was expecting that my $100,000 Tesla would have this as well. One of the employees saw that I was rejecting my delivery and ended up buying this for himself. Said it was exactly the way he wanted it. Guess he pulled some strings to put the car into his name, as it was ordered at a lower price than currently in this configuration.

Of course this story is all made up, but thought it would get more reads than just posting that I have been switched to April like everyone else :)

"Oh Elon delivers"

Roadster reservation holders would beg to differ. After nearly 5 years and counting, I don't think you can consider it "not on time" at this point.
Those poor bastards put down huge deposits and got sh*t. How they haven’t mountain an uprising I’ll never know
I ordered the same configuration 1/27/21 to Ship to MA. I don’t understand why your order months later is shipping before mine. My order is my 5th Tesla since 2013 which I hoped would have a small perk of filling order timely…
I have a 2020 LR 5 seater on order with "priority" shipping to MA... LOL🤣🤣🤣🤣

What we ordered... when we ordered... none of it seems to make any sense. It would be interesting to see of those which have been delivered thus far what was their final purchase price?

I'm willing to bet mine will be made dead last, by interns the day after Tesla announces the cancellation of the Model X line. It will be delivered on a U-Haul car carrier behind a cross country U-Haul rental truck driven by some kid who just finished Tesla's mechanic training, they are being relocated to work at Dedham SC and my delivery will be the start of their 1st day.

I was supposed to pick up my refreshed 5 seater Model X yesterday. They told me I was getting the first one they had seen (Coasta Mesa). I was excited because I have been waiting OVER 4 MONTHS since ordering this car. Heard they were in short supply, but common 4 MONTHS!. It was beautiful, with perfect panel gaps and paint, but I had to reject it when I noticed that it did not come with heads up display. I had that in my KIA, so was expecting that my $100,000 Tesla would have this as well. One of the employees saw that I was rejecting my delivery and ended up buying this for himself. Said it was exactly the way he wanted it. Guess he pulled some strings to put the car into his name, as it was ordered at a lower price than currently in this configuration.

Of course this story is all made up, but thought it would get more reads than just posting that I have been switched to April like everyone else :)
You almost gave me a cerebral hemorrhage and heart attack at the same time by the 3rd sentence. Funny.... but dangerous.