Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Could be because you're in Cali, seems like they would push out the east coast cars right now and west coast at the end of the quarter
Tesla usually ships East Coast early in the quarter so they can be shipped and delivered in the same quarter. Then later in the quarter they shift deliveries West with Bay Area being focused on late in the quarter as they can build and deliver within a few days. We are midway through the quarter now which makes sense that my car was set to be delivered next week (midway across the country).

I think the whole EDD system is just borked. When I spoke to Tesla yesterday to put my order on hold, the poor person I talked to was exhausted. She said that she had been with Tesla for 4 years and that previously they could predict people's orders to within a week. But that now it was a perfect storm of so many things that they are unable to do much planning. She said that between parts shortages and challenges with finding trucks and drivers to do deliveries, they have lost all ability to predict deliveries. She then has to try and help all of us who are frustrated and being whipsawed with dates going in and out, short delivery windows, etc.

All I can say is hang in there, or put in an order for a BMW iX.

Just sold my macan privately, couldn't bear seeing my trade in value keep dropping month to month. Same on the other car buying sites, maybe something with the used car bubble pricing?

Now the wait intensifies...
The bubble is sure to pop at some point for used car prices. I don’t think that we are there yet, but there has been a gradual downward shift the last month or so.

But they also changed that trim piece in the rear - so not sure if the rear lights are physically the same. Headlights at least look like they would physically fit. After that it's just software :)

I do think they will raise the Plaid prices at some point, maybe when they announce the new headlights/taillights. I'm not excited about continuously ordering but I could look at it as hedging my price with put options....
I would think that they wouldn’t change anything physically to the exterior since the last S and X refresh. That would introduce the need to change the mold for the front and rear of the car, which would probably lead to production delays. I would think the exterior of the lights would be the same on the refreshed S and X, whether they work due to a change in software or hardware controls of the lights would be a different story?

Just sold my macan privately, couldn't bear seeing my trade in value keep dropping month to month. Same on the other car buying sites, maybe something with the used car bubble pricing?

Now the wait intensifies...

My P85DL just went up another $1K on kbb this month vs 3 months ago.

My 2009 Prius Touring #6 with 320K miles on it has more than doubled on kbb private party in the last year alone.

Last edited:

My 2009 Prius Touring #6 with 320K miles on it has more than doubled on kbb private party in the last year alone.
Based on selling my 2014 Model S85 in December, I found KBB, Edmunds, etc. to be inaccurate. The only thing that gave me an accurate view of the value of my vehicle was to search closed/completed sales on eBay.

I would think that they wouldn’t change anything physically to the exterior since the last S and X refresh. That would introduce the need to change the mold for the front and rear of the car, which would probably lead to production delays. I would think the exterior of the lights would be the same on the refreshed S and X, whether they work due to a change in software or hardware controls of the lights would be a different story?
I agree that I don't think they would change any metal. But from the pics I saw, they changed that trim strip across the back to no longer intrude into the taillights. So we'd need that part also at a minimum. There may be other plastic/trim changes as they could adjust those easily since the injection molding is done in-house.

But the big question, as has been stated before, is if the wiring is changing or if they'll just handle things with CAN messages that are used by firmware on the lights themselves. Who knows, maybe Ryan Huber can write more code and we can MITM the headlights like he is doing for the stalks and wheel? Fun stuff to think and write about while waiting for our cars :)

Reactions: wildstar
Based on selling my 2014 Model S85 in December, I found KBB, Edmunds, etc. to be inaccurate. The only thing that gave me an accurate view of the value of my vehicle was to search closed/completed sales on eBay.
I know most used car dealers (at least by me) use the Manheim Car Auction book, but you need to be registered with them to have access to it yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: gglockner

Could be. My P85DL with options, mileage, and condition max private party range is $41K. I placed a craigs list ad for $46K and got over 60 emails and arranged multiple showings for the one date in the next 3 weeks that I was going to be back in the Bay Area. Then Tesla moved my EDD back to October and I removed the ad 5 days after putting it up. I still have 3 parties texting me every few days asking if I'm going to sell.

KBB pricing for my Tesla doesn't factor in 1) Unlimited transferrable free supercharging for life, my MCU2 upgrade, the plus suspension option which is somewhat rare, and the dual chargers. The supercharging is the biggest reason why I advertised it above high private party.

• Informative
Reactions: cjkosh

Same here, my Subaru ascent and my wife's X5 went up about ~1K across the board in Carmax, Carvana, Vroom. .... I just wish Tesla would hurry up already before the bubble bursts on me.

Same here, my Subaru ascent and my wife's X5 went up about ~1K across the board in Carmax, Carvana, Vroom. .... I just wish Tesla would hurry up already before the bubble bursts on me.

I just checked my 2009 Prius again and kbb now has it $1500 more than it was 3 months ago!!! It went from $7000 to $8500. Totally crazy.

I also just checked our 2019 Prius Limited. We paid $28K for it in September of 2018 (We got $7K off MSRP). Kbb has MIDDLE of private party $2K more than we paid for it brand new and it has 40K miles on it!!!!!

Reactions: ironwill96
Could be. My P85DL with options, mileage, and condition max private party range is $41K. I placed a craigs list ad for $46K and got over 60 emails and arranged multiple showings for the one date in the next 3 weeks that I was going to be back in the Bay Area. Then Tesla moved my EDD back to October and I removed the ad 5 days after putting it up. I still have 3 parties texting me every few days asking if I'm going to sell.

KBB pricing for my Tesla doesn't factor in 1) Unlimited transferrable free supercharging for life, my MCU2 upgrade, the plus suspension option which is somewhat rare, and the dual chargers. The supercharging is the biggest reason why I advertised it above high private party.
I had a similar situation: upgraded MCU with 4G, free lifetime supercharging, new tires, new 12V battery. I was sure it was worth on the high end of estimates, but trying to sell to a private buyer was a huge pain: so many scammers and flakes. For example, one person asked if I would help her commit tax fraud to purchase the vehicle! 🤯 Ended up selling to a local luxury car dealer, which itself was another pain.

I wish you luck.