Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are VIN's assigned overnight or just randomly throughout the day?

Checking for a VIN is becoming an unhealthy obsession
I got a text once mine was assigned. I then got another text when my delivery was moved from a date range to March 19th from 6:00pm-8:00pm. Seems on the later side, but the SC it's supposed to be delivered to is nearby so it shouldn't be too much of a hassle.

For the conspiracy theorists that think Tesla is messing with the queue to maximize transaction price (I count myself as one of them), it would be interesting to track the following:
  • Identically configured orders placed at different prices being served to different members at the same delivery service center locations.
  • Identically configured orders placed at different prices by the SAME person/account.

I wonder what would happen if some of us sacrificed $250 to place an order that new higher price and had that order VINed first? If these are identical cars, it would be hard for Tesla to deny giving you that vehicle at the price of the first order since it should be queued first. More interesting would be to place that second order for the identical car and delivery location but with the second higher priced order having FSD with the first not.

I also wonder and hope, that MXP orders placed at the old $120K price still have a higher profit margin than the XLR orders placed at the new $115K price now that there's only a $5K difference between the two.

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Id be fine with it just saying Plaid.
i'll take a badge-less Plaid! as Star Wars fans we were gonna replace it with this anyways (our license frame says "Red Five Standing By" and surprisingly i was approved for a plate saying X PILOT :cool:

Capture.JPG

Like as in Paramus, NJ? isn't that really far from Vermont? Surely there must be a closer location in MA, CT, ME or NH no?
Yes. It's about 4.5 hours from Burlington area. I asked but it can't be delivered to MA, or Albany, NY (our nearest service center), or even Montreal, because that would be a Canadian model. I don't think there's a NH location open yet, that could be a possibility if it opens in time. I think the NJ thing is something to do with sales tax but haven't fully investigated. VT did change the rules on direct sales last year so Tesla could legally open a location now. They already have a solar/powerwall distribution location where we were able to do a touchess test drive on a Y last year but no news on a car service center yet.

Yes. It's about 4.5 hours from Burlington area. I asked but it can't be delivered to MA, or Albany, NY (our nearest service center), or even Montreal, because that would be a Canadian model. I don't think there's a NH location open yet, that could be a possibility if it opens in time. I think the NJ thing is something to do with sales tax but haven't fully investigated. VT did change the rules on direct sales last year so Tesla could legally open a location now. They already have a solar/powerwall distribution location where we were able to do a touchess test drive on a Y last year but no news on a car service center yet.

ok gotcha, I thought at that point they would just deliver it to your house then. I guess I should feel fortunate that I am 10 min away from the Paramus SC.

Yay! Where do you pick up from, or are you getting it delivered? Waiting on a 7-seater here in VT, supposed to pick up at Paramus but maybe by the time they deliver they'll have opened a location here!
Can't you ask for delivery at the Dedham Service Center or the Norwell Delivery Center?

Dedham​

840 Providence Highway Dedham, MA 02026

Norwell-98 Accord Park Dr​

98 ACCORD PARK DR NORWELL, MA 02061

looks like its about to be 5 seat season. i thought for sure they were going to prioritize the 7 seater first, one because its a little more expensive and two because they already have the third row seats which are the same used in the six seater (unless they are short on stock due to making so many 6 seaters)
Maybe it's the third row "Trim" that Elon was referring too. I also assumed I would not see my 5 seater for many months. Have a March 26-31 EDD but no VIN as of yet so I am cautiously optimistic. I have been burned before.

My configuration for 7 seats/FSD/20"/Blue/Cream now $133,990.
Am pre-refresh and with $2K discount, if I ever get my car, I am ahead $29K.

Why do I have this crazy feeling Tesla will find a way to not deliver the car to me, ever?

I'm in a similar boat. Pre-refresh order with $2k discount. 7 seats/20"/Midnight Silver/Black
Currently ahead by $27k, but I'm also worried about never getting the car. Originally ordered 9/19/20.

Can't you ask for delivery at the Dedham Service Center or the Norwell Delivery Center?

Dedham​

840 Providence Highway Dedham, MA 02026

Norwell-98 Accord Park Dr​

98 ACCORD PARK DR NORWELL, MA 02061
Cars delivered in Massachusetts must must pay sales tax to Massachusetts which is higher than in surrounding states so Tesla does not offer that as an option.

Does it make sense to buy a used 2020 MX LR 6 seat now while I wait for my MXP and then trade it in once the car is available? I currently drive a 2020 M3P and love the handling and acceleration but will need to trade it in for the 2020 MX. we need the extra space now to haul family who will be staying with my wife and I for 4 odd months. Other option is to keep the M3P and buy a used gas SUV(🤢)
I had a similar situation. I had pulled the trigger on a MYP to use until my MX LR arrived. My main motivation was the current CarMax value of my 2017 Ford Explorer. It was $26,000 way above Guru's and Tesla. But just before delivery I had a serious conversation with the used car delivery manager. I asked him plainly how much will I lose if I take the MYP now and trade it in in 3-4 months. I said if I'm paying $76K now how much can I expect back? He said he couldn’t be exact but ball park high 50's low 60's. We decided to kill the deal and just wait.

I just got a EDD of March 26-31 but no VIN yet. Being cautiously optimistic at this point. Wishing you the best of luck!

So you can do a round trip OC to Big Bear with no range anxiety if you leave home with a full battery and don’t run around town up there too much?
Yes you can. At least from Burbank. You'd need to go to Lake Arrowhead to the new supercharger there for a 'run around charge', which may be about an hour one way, but it's a gorgeous drive. I usually stay in Arrowhead anyway. Or better yet, charge at the new Highland 250w charger at the base of the mountain, which is a better bet.

Reactions: Fleetwood75
I'm in a similar boat. Pre-refresh order with $2k discount. 7 seats/20"/Midnight Silver/Black
Currently ahead by $27k, but I'm also worried about never getting the car. Originally ordered 9/19/20.
I feel like there are lots of us in the same situation. And more and more delivery deadline gets delayed and price increase I see, more nervous I get about chances of not getting my car at all. Sometimes, I feel like maybe I should have just gone ahead with MY instead.