Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the Model Xs coming out now with the new tail lights and charging door? My originally delivered vehicle with multiple defects has been in service going on two months now and they are still unable to fix it. They are saying the vehicle will need to be replaced. My original vehicle was a January build and the replacement will be an April build. I suppose I'll lose the radar but not sure what else. Hopefully they don't try to pawn off the lemon they delivered to me on someone else.
Since you’re getting a replacement, ask if you can pick it up from the factory in Fremont. You’re not going to be taxed a second time so….

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Howdy folks. I haven’t been active on the forum since my MS LR (finally!) got delivered a month ago.

My MX Plaid (MSM/White 6-seat 20’s) order was on hold because I was traveling when I was matched to a VIN in Feb so I had to pass at that time.

Took off hold mid March and went to July EDD.

Yesterday changed to April 17 - May 8 which would be great if that date range holds up!

Question #1: Will that date range hold up? I’m in Westchester County NY (near NYC) if that makes a difference.

Question #2: Who’s had luck trading-in recently? Who’s had recent experience on CarMax, Vroom, CarBuyerUSA, etc? Going to sell/trade-in 2021 MYP. NY tax gives trade-in a big 8.375% advantage.

Reactions: Eskimo YoYo
Hi All,

An update/warning for @gglockner and others interested in towing trailers.
I noticed the Echo Brake controller you mentioned you will use for the brake system.

I downloaded the install instructions.
I noted for the controller to work pin or blade 2 in the car has to be 12 Volt +.

In my X100D manufactured March 6, 2018 there was no power to this pin.
I had to have service work on the X harnesses to supply this power.

The power will only be "on" while the car is "on."

I have no idea whether or not current Model X has pin/blade 2 of the
7 pin connector "hot" or not...
Just a heads-up...

Good luck,

Shawn
Hi, let's talk towing trailers... do you have any idea, pix ? how fit the Curt Echo brake controller under the panel of the X considering the vertical orientation when plugged in ? Too close the ground ??? TY

Hi, let's talk towing trailers... do you have any idea, pix ? how fit the Curt Echo brake controller under the panel of the X considering the vertical orientation when plugged in ? Too close the ground ??? TY
I thought the brake controller is built in. That is to say, you hook up the trailer and plug in the seven pin and the car itself will tell the trailer when to brake.

I personally installed a DIY tow hitch receiver on my trusty Sienna and then got U-haul to do the hard wiring for a brake controller.

But when I’ve towed with the Y, I just plugged in the seven pin connector and called it a day. Are you SURE there’s no brake controller built in to the Tesla? It seems kinda obvious there should be.

Howdy folks. I haven’t been active on the forum since my MS LR (finally!) got delivered a month ago.

My MX Plaid (MSM/White 6-seat 20’s) order was on hold because I was traveling when I was matched to a VIN in Feb so I had to pass at that time.

Yesterday changed to April 17 - May 8 which would be great if that date range holds up!

Question #1: Will that date range hold up? I’m in Westchester County NY (near NYC) if that makes a difference.

Question #2: Who’s had luck trading-in recently? Who’s had recent experience on CarMax, Vroom, CarBuyerUSA, etc? Going to sell/trade-in 2021 MYP. NY tax gives trade-in a big 8.375% advantage.
Question 1: unfortunately purely luck of the draw, my previous EDD's have changed 20+ times and this is a Model X which is the rarest unicorn in the Tesla line-up
Question 2: In the same boat as you, have a 22 MYLR I'll get rid of once my MX comes in. CarBuyerUSA will usually offer the highest price but with some complexity - I'd try all of them as it should be no more than 30 minutes of your time. When I sold my M3SR+, highest offer was from Driveway. But the Carmax, Vroom, Carvana, Givemethevin, CarBuyerUSA options should give you a good idea; depending on your local dealers, I've heard some others state local luxury dealers (MB, Audi, BMW) offer higher amounts.

• Informative
Reactions: rdmdriving
I thought the brake controller is built in. That is to say, you hook up the trailer and plug in the seven pin and the car itself will tell the trailer when to brake.

I personally installed a DIY tow hitch receiver on my trusty Sienna and then got U-haul to do the hard wiring for a brake controller.

But when I’ve towed with the Y, I just plugged in the seven pin connector and called it a day. Are you SURE there’s no brake controller built in to the Tesla? It seems kinda obvious there should be.
Yeap, sure. The break controller isn't built in on Model X... wires are under the front dash. You may plug in the seven pin connector but your trailer won't brake without a controller... look the manual !

Yeap, sure. The break controller isn't built in on Model X... wires are under the front dash. You may plug in the seven pin connector but your trailer won't brake without a controller... look the manual !
Ugh
I think I’ll go for this wireless one
CURT 51180 Echo Mobile Electric Trailer Brake Controller with Bluetooth-Enabled Smartphone Connection, Proportional, Black PLastic, 9 x 9 x 3 inches, BLACK PLASTIC https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07JQ99SDD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_XTXQB3VVQTFEQCF9R7VN

Anyone doing an aftermarket hitch receiver given the crap weight ratings with the factory one on the refresh? If so, which one, and what were the installers suggestions about weight limits? Weight limits as in "vertical load" limit of 120 pounds. Yes, I know there's other threads out there, I'm just seeing if there's any value in doing it or not. This is kind of making it a make or break issue over my purchase at this point.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Anyone doing an aftermarket hitch receiver given the crap weight ratings with the factory one on the refresh? If so, which one, and what were the installers suggestions about weight limits? Weight limits as in "vertical load" limit of 120 pounds. Yes, I know there's other threads out there, I'm just seeing if there's any value in doing it or not. This is kind of making it a make or break issue over my purchase at this point.
That’s like if you have a bike rack. It has a much higher tongue weight of 350-500 lbs (for a trailer).
I generally would think (cue opinion here, not based on specific knowledge) that the limit of the Tesla hitch receiver reflects the structural limit of the vehicle itself. Ie you may harm the vehicle structure if you use an aftermarket hitch receiver to increase the vertical load limit. (?) link: Model X Owner's Manual | Tesla

But I agree Cybertruck CANNOT come soon enough… GigaTexas 🙏🏻

Last edited:
Reactions: TrevTremaine
I've never tried or used CarBuyerUSA, but the others have all come in roughly 10,000 to 12,000 less than Tesla trade-in amount on my 2018. Not counting the sales tax credit.

My July, 2022 EDD changed in early March to March 24-April 12 for a good while. Now its back to July, 2022 again. I wouldn't make any big plans around your new date range.