Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did 70% rears and 20% front which will end up matching when paired with the factory dyed glass. The rear glass even though dark doesn’t provide any UV blocking so it needs to be tinted too.

Did 70% on windshield in one piece (hard to find shops that can do this - it can’t be cut in one piece on the plotters most shops have so must be done by hand).
My detailer claimed only the roof of the X is actually tinted and UV protective but the back window and rear sides are just dyed glass and have no heat blocking from UV.
Tesla says otherwise. Go to the Model X order page and click the Feature Details button under the Seating Layout section. Then click over to the last card and under Comfort one of the points is Ultraviolet and infrared protection on all glass

Question about placing order on hold. I went to my local Tesla Store and spoke with a SA about putting my order on hold. I am literally in the middle of purchasing a house so I can't take the MX right now. The SA was super nice about it and totally understood. Put my order on hold till August he said, I'm supposed to close on my house in July. He actually appologized for how awful Tesla customer support has been and said that they are really hoping it gets better. I woke up to an email this morning saying that if I don't take my order off hold by June 26 my order will auto cancel! Has anyone else who placed an order on hold recieved this email before and is there anyway around it?
If you can shift things ie, money, around, pay cash for the car. I went through same thing back when we bought the model 3.

I changed the Model X tracking sheet to reflect the latest price increase and the amount of each increase.
Since I don't know who the originator/keeper of the sheet is I thought I'd ask forgiveness rather than permission 😁.
Unless there is objection I'll probably add a similar table for Plaid pricing.

1655399713268.png

It is bananas that some people will pay $20k+ more for a long range that early orders will pay for a plaid. I put my MXP order in recently at current pricing and made the mistake of looking at a window sticker sitting on a front seat of two plaids that were $101k and $107k... both with FSD. Ouch for me, good for them.

Reactions: MxTaycan
Incorrect. All glass is UV blocking

All glass NOW is UV blocking. On my 2018 MX I bought the best UV and infrared blocking tint I could find, Spectra Photosync. Why? Because I felt like I was a hamburger cookin' under that big glass before the tint, and after installation it felt totally comfortable.

Fast forward to my new Plaid Model X, and I don't need any tint at all. The improvement in the glass is dramatic! Maybe I'll try to darken the driver side glass a bit, for yet one more layer to also reduce wind noise a bit? But I'm impressed with the new refresh glass-- it feels even better than the 2018 with the Spectra Photosync.

Encountered the same situation if you look at my previous postings. Looks like Tesla recently changed the policy for holding an order, at least for orders with old prices. Was told the decision to flag my order was made by the corporate team that there is no way to change it. Tried order support as well as the local store. No luck. I ended up pushed back my business trip and removed the hold by the deadline and then got a vin within hours. I guess it’s their strategy to cancel the old orders so that they can sell the same car for a higher price. So unfortunately, I would suggest you to try your best to take the delivery.

That is really iratating. I obviously want the car, thats why I ordered it in the first place. If Tesla gave me an accurate EDD we could have obviously been in a different situation, but I guess this is all part of the Tesla experience. They want me to take the car off hold by June 26, I am also supposed to be out of the country that week prior and returning home on June 28th. I cant really change thouse plans at this point. So I guess I just have to hope that if I take the car off hold on the 25th I just dont get a VIN quickly. It's a shame that Tesla treats their customers this way.

If you can shift things ie, money, around, pay cash for the car. I went through same thing back when we bought the model 3.
I was originally going to pay cash for the car but life happened and I bought a house instead. My EDD when my offer was accepted on the house was December 2022 so I thought I had time. But now half my payment for my X is going to my house downpayment. I have some other money set aside but really dont want to use it all the pay for a car. A lot of other future expensives I have to think about.

Has anyone experience that when Jorge made a change for you the "Motor Vehicle order agreement" showed the date that the change was made and not the original order date? and if so, did it delay or push back your delivery time frame?
Any changes made reflect the current date of the change in the agreement however, once the sale was complete the original order date was reflected

I changed the Model X tracking sheet to reflect the latest price increase and the amount of each increase.
Since I don't know who the originator/keeper of the sheet is I thought I'd ask forgiveness rather than permission 😁.
Unless there is objection I'll probably add a similar table for Plaid pricing.

View attachment 817366
Revised to include Plaid pricing and intro dates.
1655406213678.png

Last edited:
That is really iratating. I obviously want the car, thats why I ordered it in the first place. If Tesla gave me an accurate EDD we could have obviously been in a different situation, but I guess this is all part of the Tesla experience. They want me to take the car off hold by June 26, I am also supposed to be out of the country that week prior and returning home on June 28th. I cant really change thouse plans at this point. So I guess I just have to hope that if I take the car off hold on the 25th I just dont get a VIN quickly. It's a shame that Tesla treats their customers this way.

I was originally going to pay cash for the car but life happened and I bought a house instead. My EDD when my offer was accepted on the house was December 2022 so I thought I had time. But now half my payment for my X is going to my house downpayment. I have some other money set aside but really dont want to use it all the pay for a car. A lot of other future expensives I have to think about.
Getting a vin does not mean that you have to take the delivery the next day. It’s normally a couple of weeks so you should be fine on that regard. My delivery date is scheduled next week.

But if you live in the west coast, the end of quarter push may require you to take the delivery by the month end if you remove the hold before 6/26.

Maybe you can consider financing as the car loan rate is still on the lower end.

It is bananas that some people will pay $20k+ more for a long range that early orders will pay for a plaid. I put my MXP order in recently at current pricing and made the mistake of looking at a window sticker sitting on a front seat of two plaids that were $101k and $107k... both with FSD. Ouch for me, good for them.
Plaid has never been below $120k, without FSD.

Plaid has never been below $120k, without FSD.

I should have taken photos, and can on my drive home tonight if they are still there. They were definitely both Plaids as stated on the top of the window sticker sheets and with the carbon fiber/back plaid placard/seat stitching. IIRC both said $84,9k base, FSD added, colors added and one was $101k and one was $107k. I don't recall a line item for the Plaid upgrade which is weird. This may not be an accurate. Not trying to derail the thread. Just felt like I had been punched in the gut when I saw the price so low. Thank you for the info above.

My detailer claimed only the roof of the X is actually tinted and UV protective but the back window and rear sides are just dyed glass and have no heat blocking from UV.
Tesla says otherwise. Go to the Model X order page and click the Feature Details button under the Seating Layout section. Then click over to the last card and under Comfort one of the points is Ultraviolet and infrared protection on all glass
I'm not surprised that the detailer is providing incorrect information since he sells tint. :rolleyes:

I agree hence why im treading carefully.

Doesnt help that price increase of $6k just went into effect for new orders.

I believe the only difference is the swivel screen and the year...
Going to the DC tomorrow for our pickup appt, confirmed again that this VIN bday is 10/21, so no tilt, no charger port revision and no tail light revision.

SA over the phone stated again(sounds like they are reading from a teleprompter) that this is the car you paid for back in 03/21, and if i want the newer features then place another order.

I put a stop payment to the ACH they requested and will bring a cashiers check, anticipating to reject the car.

With the big qtr push, sounds like i have no choice but to accept this 10/21 car, with out any discounts.

Any other things I can bring up? Dont want to be petty but would like at least a 22 year car....

Going to the DC tomorrow for our pickup appt, confirmed again that this VIN bday is 10/21, so no tilt, no charger port revision and no tail light revision.

SA over the phone stated again(sounds like they are reading from a teleprompter) that this is the car you paid for back in 03/21, and if i want the newer features then place another order.

I put a stop payment to the ACH they requested and will bring a cashiers check, anticipating to reject the car.

With the big qtr push, sounds like i have no choice but to accept this 10/21 car, with out any discounts.

Any other things I can bring up? Dont want to be petty but would like at least a 22 year car....
Sheesh. I feel for you.

But with (now) $31k equity on your side, I'd bite the bullet and take it.

Unless you find a huge defect.

Is there a way to tell approximate build date from the VIN #?