Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I understand your concern. I am not one to make assumptions about someone spending habits.

- if you feel so compelled by the not getting the charger and FOB, you should address this directly with Elon via twitter, or perhaps buy them both and take Tesla out to small claims.

- Your car is subject to change, design wise, this includes radar vs vision cameras. You clearly wouldnt know the difference between the 2 as this change has been going on for a while, even on the other models.

These changes if anything will gain efficiency for you and for Tesla, you just dont see it.

Some tesla owners have become entitled, (not accusing anyone directly), especially since we are all spending $$ but i agree with this change, short sided as i may be.

I have owned more than a few teslas and haven't used the mobile chargers ever. Just not that efficient compared to the HPWC.

The same thing for the FOB, phone app is pretty awesome(YMMV).

There is always a choice, you can always buy another brand, as perhaps this brand isnt for you.
This is a false equivalence argument. Just because you have not used the mobile wall connector doesn't mean others don't. Same with the fobs.

Fortunately I ordered prior to Tesla removing it. If this wasn't profit driven (as the fobs), then they would have lowered the price to account for the change. There are many of us that use both and it feels like I'm being nickel and dimed when buying a 130k vehicle. I hate it when the airlines do it and also when Tesla does.

I won't expect anyone who can afford a Model X bother suing just for $350...
You're thinking its about the money. It's the principle of the matter. Am I going to sue Tesla? No. Is it crap the way they treat their customers? Yes.

Do they care if I cancel my order over this? No, because there are others waiting who will gladly take my place. However, as a shareholder, the future will be murky if they continue to pull these stunts.

I agree that they should absolutely include the fobs for older orders. The damage to their mindshare is arguably greater than any potential margin boost.

But at the same time I’m not bothered to buy a couple fobs given I’m already spending >100k. This is easily in “buy the fobs and move on with my life” territory.

That said, does anyone know if they typically sell them at the delivery center? Or are the fobs online order only?

I understand your concern. I am not one to make assumptions about someone spending habits.

- if you feel so compelled by the not getting the charger and FOB, you should address this directly with Elon via twitter, or perhaps buy them both and take Tesla out to small claims.

- Your car is subject to change, design wise, this includes radar vs vision cameras. You clearly wouldnt know the difference between the 2 as this change has been going on for a while, even on the other models.

These changes if anything will gain efficiency for you and for Tesla, you just dont see it.

Some tesla owners have become entitled, (not accusing anyone directly), especially since we are all spending $$ but i agree with this change, short sided as i may be.

I have owned more than a few teslas and haven't used the mobile chargers ever. Just not that efficient compared to the HPWC.

The same thing for the FOB, phone app is pretty awesome(YMMV).

There is always a choice, you can always buy another brand, as perhaps this brand isnt for you.
I had a February delivery Model X Plaid I just sold. Couple pointers

-With the key the auto door for the driver opens immediately, with the phone/app sometimes it is delayed and sometimes it doesn’t even open until I kept taping the door to wake up the car. My wife and I ended up using the keys.

-I currently have a Model Y without radar and a Model S Plaid January build with radar in my driveway, I see you are from LA you are welcome to come here I’ll show you the difference between autopilot on both. The Model Y on the freeway brakes aggressively, brakes for no reason and doesn’t see every car on the screen. On the Model S with radar if you look at the screen it sees 2 cars up, my guess is the radar bounces under the vehicle directly in front of you picking up on the car in front of that one vs the cameras just being blinded by the car in front of you.

I do agree with you, I never used the mobile charger but it does give me some security knowing I have it. I’m not going to take Tesla to court it just isn’t worth it. I was thinking of maybe an email like “hey, this was promised at time of order…”

The mobile connector is backordered I am bidding on one on eBay and I already purchased two keys on eBay.

A side of me doesn’t agree with your statement of “just buy one” the other side of me does agree with you and I already gave up forked over the money for the missing components.

My 2019 Model X Performance didn’t come with rear mats and those separators for the trunk area, I was happy to see it on my 2022. I just hope they didn’t remove those items also as the Model S is missing the trunk piece the Tesla rep stating they might or might not have mobile service bringing one for it (6 months later nothing.)

Attachments

• 8CB66911-C5ED-4F39-9A29-AC8F2ACD9AFF.jpeg
    8CB66911-C5ED-4F39-9A29-AC8F2ACD9AFF.jpeg
    376.9 KB · Views: 86
If it was available at the time you ordered you should receive it. I ordered in April 2021 and took delivery on 6/27/2022 and the mobile charger was included.
Exactly! I'm a lot less concerned about matrix lights, radar vs visual, etc as those are things that Tesla chooses to "upgrade or change". It seems to me the key fobs should be done the same way the mobile charger was, "since <insert date here> key fobs will no longer be provided..."! I could better understand that approach.

With that said, since this is my first Tesla I have no idea if the fobs would be considered a necessity or a nice to have given the other methods of unlocking and gaining access to the car. I had a mobile app for my BMW and now for a VW and my experience with both have been a PITA with multiple authentication steps needed to do something simple like unlocking or remote starting to cool/heat the interior. I don't typically use the fob to unlock as it unlocks when I grab the handle. I do see times where it would be beneficial to remotely unlock the car and have a door or rear hatch open without messing with an app on my phone.

The whole thing seems very "nickle and dimey" by Tesla, which isn't the first time! My $.02 worth....

Also went on hold this afternoon, when removed it went back to same date range, whi
When did you order? I think it’s May 21 and earlier that got hit with this. I’m a day one order.
we got the hold a couple days ago. Our original order date was first week of May 2021 but due to a change we made a few weeks later it shows our order date of June 6. EDD window is today, July 20- Aug 24. Expecting it to change any minute.

The wait is excruciating, especially for long time reservation holders but what choice do we have?
I had a February delivery Model X Plaid I just sold. Couple pointers

-With the key the auto door for the driver opens immediately, with the phone/app sometimes it is delayed and sometimes it doesn’t even open until I kept taping the door to wake up the car. My wife and I ended up using the keys.

-I currently have a Model Y without radar and a Model S Plaid January build with radar in my driveway, I see you are from LA you are welcome to come here I’ll show you the difference between autopilot on both. The Model Y on the freeway brakes aggressively, brakes for no reason and doesn’t see every car on the screen. On the Model S with radar if you look at the screen it sees 2 cars up, my guess is the radar bounces under the vehicle directly in front of you picking up on the car in front of that one vs the cameras just being blinded by the car in front of you.

I do agree with you, I never used the mobile charger but it does give me some security knowing I have it. I’m not going to take Tesla to court it just isn’t worth it. I was thinking of maybe an email like “hey, this was promised at time of order…”

The mobile connector is backordered I am bidding on one on eBay and I already purchased two keys on eBay.

A side of me doesn’t agree with your statement of “just buy one” the other side of me does agree with you and I already gave up forked over the money for the missing components.

My 2019 Model X Performance didn’t come with rear mats and those separators for the trunk area, I was happy to see it on my 2022. I just hope they didn’t remove those items also as the Model S is missing the trunk piece the Tesla rep stating they might or might not have mobile service bringing one for it (6 months later nothing.)
I get it. Just like the stupid garage remote thing, was standard on the 3 when it first came out, which i got, but then when i had to buy another one, you had to buy it separately. Same thing with the model Y.

Dont get me started on the premium Internet connection.

Just a matter of time before they start charging for you to see your camera footage or remote camera..

Two keys + mobile connector that is almost $600 they took out of the car.
The mobile connector they only got rid of for new orders, so you would have known at the time of ordering that you weren't getting it.

I'm guessing the difference between fobs and mobile connector is because they had in writing that the car would come with the connector, but probably not for the fobs?

I'm totally on board with them making these things optional, as I understand they aren't something used by everyone, but that really should apply to new orders only. At least they aren't pulling the crap Rivian tried to do by changing the prices of orders after the fact... Eventually they will run out of "optional" things to remove from the old orders :)

Exactly! I'm a lot less concerned about matrix lights, radar vs visual, etc as those are things that Tesla chooses to "upgrade or change". It seems to me the key fobs should be done the same way the mobile charger was, "since <insert date here> key fobs will no longer be provided..."! I could better understand that approach.

With that said, since this is my first Tesla I have no idea if the fobs would be considered a necessity or a nice to have given the other methods of unlocking and gaining access to the car. I had a mobile app for my BMW and now for a VW and my experience with both have been a PITA with multiple authentication steps needed to do something simple like unlocking or remote starting to cool/heat the interior. I don't typically use the fob to unlock as it unlocks when I grab the handle. I do see times where it would be beneficial to remotely unlock the car and have a door or rear hatch open without messing with an app on my phone.

The whole thing seems very "nickle and dimey" by Tesla, which isn't the first time! My $.02 worth....
Tesla Mobile app is not like those other apps. Super fast and easy.

Reactions: goldenage
The wait is excruciating, especially for long time reservation holders but what choice do we have?

I get it. Just like the stupid garage remote thing, was standard on the 3 when it first came out, which i got, but then when i had to buy another one, you had to buy it separately. Same thing with the model Y.

Dont get me started on the premium Internet connection.

Just a matter of time before they start charging for you to see your camera footage or remote camera..
The premium connectivity is a tough one, and probably where my thoughts diverge from yours. Had Tesla not opted to add entertainment/streaming video features, I would probably agree that connectivity should have remained free (given its primary usage was for less data intensive activities like navigation and music streaming). But it's not reasonable imo to expect them to essentially absorb the (substantially) increased data and associated costs that come with streaming video. But yeah, w.r.t. the keyfobs and mobile connector, I feel like we're being nickel and dimed for a $100k+ car and it pisses me off.

It is interesting to see people having issues with no more included keyfob. While in the same X forums people said they never used it and questioned why Tesla ships them since they always used their phone. I think I was the only person that felt that the fob was needed.
If mine does not come with a fob (at this point I assume it will not) I will at least buy one on the secondary market. They seem to be like $80-90 on eBay in unused condition. It is a special vehicle and I want to try the fob. Mostly to quickly open the doors from the fob in my pocket without having to remove phone, unlock, open Tesla app, wait, open doors. I completely understand how this is not the use everyone wants or needs and completely understand why Tesla no longer includes them. Let me know if you want to give me a good deal on yours 😂

If mine does not come with a fob (at this point I assume it will not) I will at least buy one on the secondary market. They seem to be like $80-90 on eBay in unused condition. It is a special vehicle and I want to try the fob. Mostly to quickly open the doors from the fob in my pocket without having to remove phone, unlock, open Tesla app, wait, open doors. I completely understand how this is not the use everyone wants or needs and completely understand why Tesla no longer includes them. Let me know if you want to give me a good deal on yours 😂
The argument people give is the app can unlock the car just like the fob when you walk up, if you leave the app open on your phone.

For me the app is an issue because I do not carry my phone with me sometimes when I drive.

The argument people give is the app can unlock the car just like the fob when you walk up, if you leave the app open on your phone.

For me the app is an issue because I do not carry my phone with mm sometimes when I drive.
Yeah exactly. It is nice that the app now allows opening the FWD. But come on, the fob is so cool and unique. I will get them even if I have to pay a bit extra. Worth it to some, not to others. Just like EAP and FSD. Will buy one just to try out.

Reactions: Elixir
It is interesting to see people having issues with no more included keyfob. While in the same X forums people said they never used it and questioned why Tesla ships them since they always used their phone. I think I was the only person that felt that the fob was needed.
With my 2022 Model S, we have never used the included fobs. With that said, the doors on the Model X are powered and can open/close on their own so I could see the desire to use the fob instead of pulling out a phone. Too bad we can't just compromise and get at least one fob on request for existing orders. I suppose I could try selling the S fobs to buy an X fob.

Reactions: Jbapckfan

For me the app is an issue because I do not carry my phone with me sometimes when I drive.
I had a 3 and Y, never had a FOB and never missed it with the car. I currently have a S that came with FOBs and never once used it - use my phone all the time. Phone as key is excellent. But had an X loaner the other week and with my kids and the ability to remotely open doors like we do on our minivan, the FOB was super handy and have ordered one for when my X arrives for those times I am out with the kids. Walking through a parking lot, opening the app to open doors while managing 3 kids is not as convenient as quickly double tapping a FOB. If the X only had remote unlock and not power open then wouldn't get a FOB but as it as power open, I think that is the one unique situation where the FOB is more convenient than the app.

Yeah exactly. It is nice that the app now allows opening the FWD. But come on, the fob is so cool and unique. I will get them even if I have to pay a bit extra. Worth it to some, not to others. Just like EAP and FSD. Will buy one just to try out.
To be honest, we are on our second X and 4 years into X ownership. We have never used the fob for more than unlocking the doors. Unless you use your frunk a lot it is just as easy to press a button to open a door or trunk.

Sadly, I think we're going to see more of this rather than less. Look at what BMW is doing with the heated seats and high beam assist (amonst other things). This whole consumption-based model kinda sucks for the consumers. But from the manufacturers standpoint, it's a steady, consistent revenue stream as opposed to a one-and-done revenue scheme.

But the one area I'd love to see this change is in Cable TV. Moar a la carte please!

Reactions: jboy210
Sadly, I think we're going to see more of this rather than less. Look at what BMW is doing with the heated seats and high beam assist (amonst other things). This whole consumption-based model kinda sucks for the consumers. But from the manufacturers standpoint, it's a steady, consistent revenue stream as opposed to a one-and-done revenue scheme.

But the one area I'd love to see this change is in Cable TV. Moar a la carte please!
Yep. And it is the way many things will be sold. And I think in some areas like AutoPilot or other services it can be a worthwhile purchasing scheme.

Personally, I don't every foresee myself commuting to work ever again and don't travel that often. So being able to turn off and on a service like Autopilot monthly is a win. We also don't stream that much so I prefer each time purchase options. I hate making monthly payments for options I only use infrequently. And with services like Netflix losing millions of customers a quarter, I suspect I am not alone.

I had a 3 and Y, never had a FOB and never missed it with the car. I currently have a S that came with FOBs and never once used it - use my phone all the time. Phone as key is excellent. But had an X loaner the other week and with my kids and the ability to remotely open doors like we do on our minivan, the FOB was super handy and have ordered one for when my X arrives for those times I am out with the kids. Walking through a parking lot, opening the app to open doors while managing 3 kids is not as convenient as quickly double tapping a FOB. If the X only had remote unlock and not power open then wouldn't get a FOB but as it as power open, I think that is the one unique situation where the FOB is more convenient than the app.
This is the exact use I want, opening both FWD and both front doors as we walk across a parking lot probably while I hold a kid. I'd rather drop a fob than a phone.

Last edited: