Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know I did for 3.5 years, but recently kept getting overheat messages and slow charging (16amps vs 32) on my Model 3. Checked connections, they were fine. Kept getting the messages. so I changed the 14-50 out to a Tesla Wall charger. Problem solved, and now charges at 48 amps. I've read the 14-50 outlets can go bad over time.
Hi.
Have used the mobile charger pretty much exclusively since I bought my 2018 XLR. Using it again on the Refresh. Have a 240 volt 50 amp circuit in the garage. Put the receptacle fairly close to the garage floor and the cable was bent at a 180 degree angle because the adapter body was hanging down. Had the same amperage drop caused by an 'overheated adapter.' Straightened the charging cable by supporting it vertically and the problem went away. Felt sorta stupid that the solution was so simple. Now get the full 32 amps while charging.

Reactions: goldenage
Just wondering if any newer orders have received the hold or just the May/June 21 orders. I'm thinking it's a way to filter out those who maybe can't afford it right now, don't want to take delivery yet for xyz reason etc. Automatically hold it and if you want it go ahead hit ready. I would guess this means your vin is expected in the next 1-2 months. Who knows total speculation but would make sense.
July 21 order also received the hold email. I hope they can give me a VIN and deliver sooner. The new car inventory rises gradually, which is devaluing my trade-in(5k less than 4 months ago).

• Love
Reactions: Elixir
29D59D5E-AC7C-4FD4-BD68-96D1C2D5FDA1.jpeg

Confirmed by my SA. Happy that it’s coming, sad that it would be within the next few WEEKS not DAYS!! Still happy, really happy.

View attachment 833392
Confirmed by my SA. Happy that it’s coming, sad that it would be within the next few WEEKS not DAYS!! Still happy, really happy.
It reads like a slight riff on the standard language lots of people have received from their SAs: "The delivery date range in your account is currently the most accurate estimate of when your vehicle will arrive." In otherwords, would take that with a massive grain of salt.

• Funny
Reactions: 1pinhigh and Elixir
Got this text from Tesla this morning! Still have a EDD range of 8/8 - 8/12.

On a side note, I was able to open an account on myeecu.org to take advantage of the 1.99 APR. As others have stated, the $25 deposit/donation will get you a membership even if you don't live in the support counties. I'm waiting for the account to open and then I'll be applying of the loan.

I've got my Tesmanian mats delivered so it will be nice to have those at the jump.

Lastly, I'll be installing the wall charger this weekend. Should be a fun journey of cutting out a chunk of drive wall to run the wire to the other side of the garage!

Attachments

• IMG_1411.jpg
    IMG_1411.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 68
Ok so I am actually experiencing this currently. Same exact issue charging at 16amps instead of 32. Keep getting over heating message. A friend of mine has a new 14-50 connector plug and is letting me borrow it. I never have an issue with his. But when I plug mine in I get the overheat message, and boy is it hot! I wonder if it is actually the 14-50 connector vs the outlet.
Could be, but it wasn't for me, as I tried my friends connector with the same results.

Reactions: timberlights
Hi.
Have used the mobile charger pretty much exclusively since I bought my 2018 XLR. Using it again on the Refresh. Have a 240 volt 50 amp circuit in the garage. Put the receptacle fairly close to the garage floor and the cable was bent at a 180 degree angle because the adapter body was hanging down. Had the same amperage drop caused by an 'overheated adapter.' Straightened the charging cable by supporting it vertically and the problem went away. Felt sorta stupid that the solution was so simple. Now get the full 32 amps while charging.
Interesting. Mine was mounted higher (5') but did hang down. Wonder if the downward pressure was loosening the 240 adapter connection?
Either way, I'm super happy getting 48 amps now. I will need another connector when cybertruck arrives, but I'm hoping they come up with a new, more powerful one before then.

On a side note, I was able to open an account on myeecu.org to take advantage of the 1.99 APR. As others have stated, the $25 deposit/donation will get you a membership even if you don't live in the support counties. I'm waiting for the account to open and then I'll be applying of the loan.
I'd really like to be able to take advantage of that rate, but their website says that the offer is only valid for loans funded through August 31st. By the time Tesla gets around to VINing me the Federal Reserve will have done several more rate hikes I'm sure, and my interest payments will be higher than the principal payments!

• Funny
Reactions: 1pinhigh and Elixir
Got this text from Tesla this morning! Still have a EDD range of 8/8 - 8/12.

I've got my Tesmanian mats delivered so it will be nice to have those at the jump.

Lastly, I'll be installing the wall charger this weekend. Should be a fun journey of cutting out a chunk of drive wall to run the wire to the other side of the garage!
So before getting a VIN it makes sense to open the account and do the $25 donation so that as soon as you get the VIN you fill out the application? Or am I missing something?

Do they wire funds directly to Tesla day of delivery?

I'd really like to be able to take advantage of that rate, but their website says that the offer is only valid for loans funded through August 31st. By the time Tesla gets around to VINing me the Federal Reserve will have done several more rate hikes I'm sure, and my interest payments will be higher than the principal payments!
Well if they are 1.99% (for very long terms) while Tesla’s financial partners are 4.24% it’s pretty clear that one will continue to be the winner despite rate increases we cannot control.

So before getting a VIN it makes sense to open the account and do the $25 donation so that as soon as you get the VIN you fill out the application? Or am I missing something?

Do they wire funds directly to Tesla day of delivery?
I think it makes sense to open the checking account (which the $25 is a part of that process) whenever. As I understand it, that creates the account and gives you membership to the credit union. Since I got the text that my car shipped, I'll likely apply for the loan as soon as they enable online access for me. The email I received when I completed account setup stated 1-2 business days after they get the $25 deposit. I'm hoping to hear back today or tomorrow as the funds have already come out of my other account. I don't know how they get the funds to Tesla at the moment. I will follow back up once I've gone through the process. I'll get to get Tesla my down payment as well, but I am going to try to hold off giving Tesla one cent until I get eyes (and hopefully hands) on the car to inspect it.

I changed from a Long Range to a Plaid 15 days ago. I find it hard not to believe that influenced the delivery date.
You had a Feb '21 order, so it shouldn't have mattered and you should have been close to getting your car (or had it already), but it is Tesla so who the heck knows. I'd also guess that switching to plaid made the difference. Since it was only 15 days ago i suspect they already had the car built and just not assigned to anyone yet.

Reactions: 1pinhigh
I took delivery of my MXLR on 6/27 with a VIN of 340XX. Car was built at the end of April, so not at the end of the quarter in the rush. I was concerned about the earlier VIN; however, my car was perfect and I’ve had no issues since delivery. I’ve put 1,000 miles on the car so far. So, in my opinion, I don’t believe you have anything to worry about with your VIN. Good luck!