Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don’t have a brushless car wash close by and you’re often too busy to wash your car regularly what’s the best option? I could get a wrap or ceramic coating and go through the brush wash but I’m not sure that’s even a good idea. Just curious what people think I know there’s no guaranteed right answer here.

Im combing through accessories as it gets closer. Have the full set of Tesmanian mats, will try the above mud flaps, may do a phone slip guard, a white carbon fiber yoke wrap (black exterior/white seats for my car), Tswrap black carbon fiber stickers for emblem and brakes so far. Any other favs?

If you don’t have a brushless car wash close by and you’re often too busy to wash your car regularly what’s the best option? I could get a wrap or ceramic coating and go through the brush wash but I’m not sure that’s even a good idea. Just curious what people think I know there’s no guaranteed right answer here.
I think the recommendation with PPF is to not use power washers on it, which I imagine would include automatic car washes, but not sure. I don't have ceramic, but assuming it creates a wax like finish, it should make it easier to wash no matter which way you choose.

My wrap installer specifically said not to go through a car wash. He said brushless is perfectly fine though.

Im combing through accessories as it gets closer. Have the full set of Tesmanian mats, will try the above mud flaps, may do a phone slip guard, a white carbon fiber yoke wrap (black exterior/white seats for my car), Tswrap black carbon fiber stickers for emblem and brakes so far. Any other favs?
I bought and installed these. Happy to report no modification was needed.

HOWEVER - in addition to the two clips per flap, I added 1 screw (included) which required a new hole that I just made with the same screw... I noticed smoking coming out of my rear view mirror (AP camera?) - scheduled a service appointment. I must have gone into a wire somewhere... I think the mud flaps could have held fine without the screw but I wanted the added peace of mind.........

❤️

This car is so nice. The wait was worth it. Kids love it. Wife mostly loves it (the yoke is the lingering issue). Panels are well aligned and all. We're super excited to get to know it more.

Attachments

• PXL_20220814_163114191.jpg
    PXL_20220814_163114191.jpg
    637.7 KB · Views: 105
I was called by Tesla today to see if I wanted to take delivery of a white/white 22s LR 6 seat X today that had sustained a large dent during transport and would be fixed prior to delivery. We have a MSM/cream 20 6 seat on order for past 14 months. Decided to pass, but appreciate the call and hope another suitable vehicle may come available sooner than my Oct-nov EDD.

Reactions: Stin121 and Elixir
I bought and installed these. Happy to report no modification was needed.

HOWEVER - in addition to the two clips per flap, I added 1 screw (included) which required a new hole that I just made with the same screw... I noticed smoking coming out of my rear view mirror (AP camera?) - scheduled a service appointment. I must have gone into a wire somewhere... I think the mud flaps could have held fine without the screw but I wanted the added peace of mind.........
Great info thanks

My wrap installer specifically said not to go through a car wash. He said brushless is perfectly fine though.
Wrap installers are thinking like ultimate car fanatics.

We got our Y wrapped and ceramic’d and take it weekly to a car wash with brushes. Oh and I did neither for my X and I’m using the car wash too (yeah I should get ceramic lol).

It.
Is.
Fine.

Yes at the end of the year there are fine swirls in the ceramic if you look closely, but so what. You get a touch up ceramic coating if you are bothered!

Also: touchless car washes use very high powered water jets which are more likely to damage paint, AND very high alkalinity soaps which likewise are more likely to damage paint. Source: Google. lol but seriously.

Wrap installers think everybody should spend a couple hours every week hand polishing their cars because people who wrap cars are of course entitled sons of barons with no responsibilities and have no concept of working to survive. lol but who has time for that (cue “Ain’t nobody got time for DAT!”) 😄🫥

Wrap installers are thinking like ultimate car fanatics.

We got our Y wrapped and ceramic’d and take it weekly to a car wash with brushes.

It.
Is.
Fine.

Yes at the end of the year there are fine swirls in the ceramic if you look closely, but so what. You get a touch up ceramic coating if you are bothered!

Also: touchless car washes use very high powered water jets which are more likely to damage paint, AND very high alkalinity soaps which likewise are more likely to damage paint. Source: Google. lol but seriously.

Wrap installers think everybody should spend a couple hours every week hand polishing their cars because they are sons of barons and have no concept of working to survive. lol but not entirely inaccurate😄🫥
Facts. Good to hear first hand a regular wash is fine. I don’t care much for babying my car but my current car (2008) is scratched all over and I’d like to keep the X in nice shape.

Swirl marks don’t bother me. I’m not planning on entering detailing competitions.