Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S LR vs Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the S quite a while, then we got an X. We have a new S on order again now, and not an X. My concern with the X would be:

- the 2nd row stinks in the 6 seat config, they are narrow and awkward for passengers, with no arm rest, etc.
- The FWDs are kinda cool, but overly complicated. There are a LOT of seals that degrade, lot of physical parts that can fail, and some of them are a sure thing so it's not a car that will last as long as an S/regular door car without a lot of maintenance.
- The rest of the car, latches on front doors failed for us (likely somewhat better now)
- The car has even worse known camber/half shaft shutter issues - not sure if new design will fix this but its a big longevity issue. The tires really wear unevenly on the inside, shutter at anything other than low/very low, etc.

I'd say, the X is cool if ya don't plan on keeping it long. The S is probably better, or Y, if you want to keep/own the car longer.

+1 the X is not as reliable, has less range, and falken doors can be a pain sometimes.

Today I baught acceleration boost for my Y. Made a big difference. Feels significantly quicker now.
Thanks, travwill and mba83. I plan to keep it long, so I am somewhat cautious before taking the car. Test driving is a good way to figure out some issues, but there are other issues that we need to own and drive the car for a while to realize, so you folks' (owners') experience is so valuable.

What X attracts me the most are the automatic doors, falcon wings, high sitting position (i.e., better visibility), panoramic windshield, and spacious trunk and interior. S definitely has different advantages, such as better handling, longer range, faster speed, fewer things to break and probably cheaper to maintain, earlier delivery, 10K cheaper.
I am not a fan of driving very fast, so I thought the time from 0 to 60 mph does not matter to me. However, it is surprising that even though I drove slowly, the difference in acceleration between Y and S is that obvious and I can definitely feel it (not sure about X vs. S because I haven't driven any X).

Some quick questions:
- Although X has a lower range (360 miles) than S (405 miles), isn't 360 miles enough for most of the use cases? Except for a long road trip, is it common to drive more than 360 miles without charging the car? Or are there other benefits of longer range?
- I saw there are lots of complaints about the 6 seat configuration of X. How about the 5 seat configuration?
- What is the camber/half shaft shutter issue?
- I don't quite understand the logic of acceleration boost. Isn't it just a software change? Why can it upgrade the acceleration that is determined by hardware? Any drawback of acceleration boost?

Hi @Dirty Dog My cream perforated seats seem fine, dirt wise. My white MYP seats, and previously my M3, are easy to keep clean. Just don’t pour coffee into those perforated seats!
Thank you Jebinc! Your S is Midnight Silver correct? How are the 19" wheels? Are you happy with the look or would have preffered the 21" look if cost was not a consideration? I have the 18"s on my M3LR and still like them where others say take off the plastic hubcaps! Lol

Thank you Jebinc! Your S is Midnight Silver correct? How are the 19" wheels? Are you happy with the look or would have preffered the 21" look if cost was not a consideration? I have the 18"s on my M3LR and still like them where others say take off the plastic hubcaps! Lol
@Dirty Dog. Yes, MSM with cream and walnut; great combo, IMHO. I definitely prefer the 19s, over the 21s, for many reasons, not even including the $4500 cost savings!

- I don't quite understand the logic of acceleration boost. Isn't it just a software change? Why can it upgrade the acceleration that is determined by hardware? Any drawback of acceleration boost?
Over the air software download that takes maybe 5 minutes at the most usually.
The software controls the hardware, and Tesla opted to generate more revenue by intentionally limiting the acceleration of the long range y and long range 3, then making you pay $2k if you wanted them to give you the full power for max acceleration.

ONly drawback is maybe increased tire wear if you use it full throttle all the time (unlikely) and of course, $2k that could have been invested and grown