Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S LR vs Model Y LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered a refreshed Model S LR @ $80K this June and hopefully can take it this Dec. Because I planned to keep and drive it for a long time, I went with a more premium model. However, the high price still makes me hesitant about whether I should cancel the order and go for Model 3 or Model Y.

There are some great posts about M3P and refreshed MY, and a good discussion about the comfort comparison between MY and refreshed MS, but I haven't found a thorough discussion about whether the refreshed S LR deserves the extra $25K when compared with Model Y LR. There is still no test drive yet and I haven't owned any Tesla, so it would be highly appreciated that anyone can provide some opinions on this.

Based on the previous discussion and the information I collected online, it seems that
- Refreshed MS is much comfortable to drive than M3 and MY because MS has a better suspension.
- Refreshed MS is much quieter than M3 and MY.
- Refreshed MS has slightly small but similar cargo size as MY.
- It is harder to get in and out of MS. (I am not tall, just 5'6", so I don't think this will be a problem to me).
- The comfort of seats is comparable.
- The seat location of MS is much lower so you need to duck to see far.
- 0-60 is much better for MS, but I don't know whether anyone can tell the difference when driving it normally.
- MS has a second monitor. I think that is very useful.
- The yoke steering wheel, turn light buttons, stalks seem not to be a problem?
Did I miss anything? Do these benefits (and the disadvantages) deserve the extra $25K?

I also came across this post online: Tesla Model S vs Tesla Model 3: which Tesla sedan should you buy?
The conclusion is "If you're in the market for a large executive-style sedan the Tesla Model S still makes an awful lot of sense".

Thanks!

I'm in the minority and would never cross shop a Model 3 with an S - totally different cars.

So it really depends on what your priorities are in a car you want to purchase.

You've already summarized the differences fairly well , so this is an easy decision. Are you more concerned about practically vs style? If yes get a Y, otherwise get an S

I have ordered a refreshed Model S LR @ $80K this June and hopefully can take it this Dec. Because I planned to keep and drive it for a long time, I went with a more premium model. However, the high price still makes me hesitant about whether I should cancel the order and go for Model 3 or Model Y.

There are some great posts about M3P and refreshed MY, and a good discussion about the comfort comparison between MY and refreshed MS, but I haven't found a thorough discussion about whether the refreshed S LR deserves the extra $25K when compared with Model Y LR. There is still no test drive yet and I haven't owned any Tesla, so it would be highly appreciated that anyone can provide some opinions on this.

Based on the previous discussion and the information I collected online, it seems that
- Refreshed MS is much comfortable to drive than M3 and MY because MS has a better suspension.
- Refreshed MS is much quieter than M3 and MY.
- Refreshed MS has slightly small but similar cargo size as MY.
- It is harder to get in and out of MS. (I am not tall, just 5'6", so I don't think this will be a problem to me).
- The comfort of seats is comparable.
- The seat location of MS is much lower so you need to duck to see far.
- 0-60 is much better for MS, but I don't know whether anyone can tell the difference when driving it normally.
- MS has a second monitor. I think that is very useful.
- The yoke steering wheel, turn light buttons, stalks seem not to be a problem?
Did I miss anything? Do these benefits (and the disadvantages) deserve the extra $25K?

I also came across this post online: Tesla Model S vs Tesla Model 3: which Tesla sedan should you buy?
The conclusion is "If you're in the market for a large executive-style sedan the Tesla Model S still makes an awful lot of sense".

Thanks!
I’m in the same boat as you. I started off in a 2015 Model S, wound up trading it for a Model Y, then put in an order for a Refreshed S LR.

The ride height and ingress/egress of the S is the biggest concern for me. Having been in both, I really liked the ride height of the Y, visibility, and easy entry/exit. The ride quality was atrocious though. The Model S rides nicer for sure.

Ideally I would like a Model Y with air suspension. That would be the perfect vehicle for me.

I traded a model 3, that I loved, for a Plaid. While the S is bigger, it’s so much quieter and the air/adaptive suspension makes longer trips, effortless and super comfy. Love the yoke and extra display straight away.
I have a model 3 long range that I love. My wife has the Y with the 20's, I want the space and height but the ride is very stiff to me. Considering the S. Two questions, how is the space compared in the S to the 3? Besides the speed of the Plaid, what's the difference with the regular S? Sell me an S.

I also have the 2018 Model 3 RWD LR. Love the sportiness but trunk is so small and feel low to the ground. Love the X but feel like it is overkill.

If you can afford it, the X has spoiled me.

Automatic driver door opening/closing is a great feature because there are many times that both of my hands are full.

After I am all set and ready to drive and realize that some doors/trunk are still not shut, I don't have to get out to close them. They are all powered so I can push the button on the screen instead.

I love the falcon wings. Very useful and practical.

There's more space for me to fit in the driver's seat than others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dirty Dog
I have a model 3 long range that I love. My wife has the Y with the 20's, I want the space and height but the ride is very stiff to me. Considering the S. Two questions, how is the space compared in the S to the 3? Besides the speed of the Plaid, what's the difference with the regular S? Sell me an S.
@Dirty Dog Get the 19” S LR. It has about the same cubic foot cargo volume as the Y, which is a lot more than the 3. The LR is $45k less than the LR and is faster than a M3P - especially 40 mph up to 100+ mph. The air suspension is wonderful. Really, the only differences between the LR and Plaid is the acceleration, extra motor and piping/ventilating in the seats. I think that’s really it. Oh, LRs are harder to get than Plaid, ordering wise. Refreshed MXs are not yet being produced.

@Dirty Dog Get the 19” S LR. It has about the same cubic foot cargo volume as the Y, which is a lot more than the 3. The LR is $45k less than the LR and is faster than a M3P - especially 40 mph up to 100+ mph. The air suspension is wonderful. Really, the only differences between the LR and Plaid is the acceleration, extra motor and piping/ventilating in the seats. I think that’s really it. Oh, LRs are harder to get than Plaid, ordering wise. Refreshed MXs are not yet being produced.
Thank you very much!! I know you have the plaid, but any idea how the new S handles compared to the 3? Also how is the vision out the S compared to the 3? Which has better visibility?

Thank you very much!! I know you have the plaid, but any idea how the new S handles compared to the 3? Also how is the vision out the S compared to the 3? Which has better visibility?
@Dirty Dog I had a June 2019 M3. Rear view window is larger in the S, so better visibility than the 3; although I didn’t mind the 3. The S is larger, and I was expecting more of a boat-like ride than the 3, but was pleasantly surprised. The new S has really nice air/adaptive suspension, whereas the 3 is traditional fixed. S also has torque vectoring. These S features help with the size and weight differences.

@Dirty Dog I had a June 2019 M3. Rear view window is larger in the S, so better visibility than the 3; although I didn’t mind the 3. The S is larger, and I was expecting more of a boat-like ride than the 3, but was pleasantly surprised. The new S has really nice air/adaptive suspension, whereas the 3 is traditional fixed. S also has torque vectoring. These S features help with the size and weight differences.
Thank you. What about the front windshield view? I like how I do not see the hood in the 3. You keep mentioning the suspension, that is the deal beaker for me with the Y.

Thank you. What about the front windshield view? I like how I do not see the hood in the 3. You keep mentioning the suspension, that is the deal beaker for me with the Y.
@Dirty Dog I also have a new MYP and swapped out the 21s with stock 19s. Also added door, trunk and frunk seals. Frankly, it rides nice and is quiet too. Visibility out the front of the S is very good. No steering wheel in view, as the S has the yoke.

@Dirty Dog I also have a new MYP and swapped out the 21s with stock 19s. Also added door, trunk and frunk seals. Frankly, it rides nice and is quiet too. Visibility out the front of the S is very good. No steering wheel in view, as the S has the yoke.
Does the MYP drive nice with the19's? My wifes MYLR with 20's feels like my head vibrates and bounces around on any slightly bumpy road.

I picked up a OEM set of Geminis for $1600, as I wanted 19s and all season tires. The set only had a couple hundred miles on them. Car rides nice and comfortable with the Continental tires. Selling the 21” Uberturbines.
Thank you. Not sure where to go here. I also have a CT on order. Since my wife has the MYLR, I'm leaning towards the S. I don't think it makes sense to get a MYP and have two of the basically the same car. Can you post some pictures of your interior of the S? Wow!! I am really annoying or just crazy. Lol

Thank you. Not sure where to go here. I also have a CT on order. Since my wife has the MYLR, I'm leaning towards the S. I don't think it makes sense to get a MYP and have two of the basically the same car. Can you post some pictures of your interior of the S? Wow!! I am really annoying or just crazy. Lol
@Dirty Dog No crazier than I! I have a Cybertruck on order since launch day!

My S…

Attachments

• CB4A4566-551E-482C-B04B-43191B1F0005.jpeg
    CB4A4566-551E-482C-B04B-43191B1F0005.jpeg
    543.4 KB · Views: 265
  • 7200D4F8-C3BE-47B1-AA08-E0617EB0225D.jpeg
    7200D4F8-C3BE-47B1-AA08-E0617EB0225D.jpeg
    431.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 243D5A75-C5E5-4A0A-8E1B-A97BE4B5952C.jpeg
    243D5A75-C5E5-4A0A-8E1B-A97BE4B5952C.jpeg
    837.4 KB · Views: 205
  • 8E924E3C-859A-4148-B016-292EE55F3372.jpeg