Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I was informed that the rear seat rattle is spec if you shut the seats too hard. I look forward to being zero days old when I learn how to properly latch the seats tomorrow with Tesla advisors. Supposedly they tested this ‘theory’ on another S and proved it out.
So apparently the seat latch is just like the door. If you lightly close it, it will not latch entirely. If you close too hard with force, it will not latch properly. Was able to replicate with them - if you flick it shut, you should be able to feel and hear a rattle. If you shut it with a bit more force, but not too much, no rattle issue.

So the lesson I learned today - latch the seats, give it a shake and feel for some motion / listen for a rattle.

Hate to admit it, but the rear rattle definitely seems gone.

I have a feeling that this is related to the initial design having power rear seat recline. There are extra latches in the rear, that really make no sense unless they intended to have power recline/latching. Due to supply chain/whatever, they went to manual latches.

With the foam padding trick are the seats easy to put up and then back into place? With the tape trick, I think the seats are sometimes hard to pull down. Thanks!
Yeah a bit harder but nothing too crazy.
I have the foam and left over gaffers tape.
Foam didn’t seem to work for long either for me…over time it crushes down and starts rattling again. Any details on what foam you used and where would be helpful…thanks!
Yep here’s the exact one I ordered. Cut out two blocks to fit both left and right side latches.
Case Club Customizable (PE) Polyethylene Foam 16" x 12" x 1.5" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N6JPYK4?ref_=cm_sw_r_apin_dp_K60TDMW31B28TCFSTSS1

Attachments

• IMG_4571.png
    IMG_4571.png
    736.2 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: CTDW and aerodyne