Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So apparently the seat latch is just like the door. If you lightly close it, it will not latch entirely. If you close too hard with force, it will not latch properly. Was able to replicate with them - if you flick it shut, you should be able to feel and hear a rattle. If you shut it with a bit more force, but not too much, no rattle issue.

So the lesson I learned today - latch the seats, give it a shake and feel for some motion / listen for a rattle.

Hate to admit it, but the rear rattle definitely seems gone.

Holy crap. Tried it this morning (gentle-but-firm closing of the right rear seat) and it totally worked. Rattle gone. Mind blown.

• Informative
Reactions: cwanja
Can you please post a screenshot of your invoice from service, so we can see what they did.
invoice.JPG

afterwards they told me they were going to replace the rear RH bolster which they put on order and scheduled me in for an appt to replace once parts had been received. 'till then the rattle was completely gone and all was good, UNTIL, the it was time to drop off the car to have the bolster replaced.
I dropped off the vehicle, a few days went by and when i picked up the car and test drove it all seemed good. I popped the trunk to put some stuff in and noticed there was a large plastic piece in there. I asked what it was and was informed that was the piece that came in(so they ordered the wrong part), thats when i found out that the tech had completely dissaasembled the rear seat section and put everything back together as per spec. I was also told that the bolster never needed replacement and he wasnt sure as to why it needed replacement since there was nothing wrong with it. Now, after all of that i no longer have a squeak/rattle on my RH rear seat, instead its on the LH rear seat section, lol.

• Funny
Reactions: scrapps
No tape. I assumed that would be mandatory but figured it wouldn‘t hurt to try. To be fair, I only drove it for 20 min this morning, but over some very uneven and bumpy roads and the rattle was 100% gone. Will be interesting to see if this stands the test of the time.
How is yours holding up?

I am sad to report Tesla’s ‘official’ fix for mine was…tape. I was told ‘they adjust the latch’. I picked it up - tape.

Tape is no longer working for me...works for a day. Foam is also not helping, so I will have to take it in.
Took it into service, but they could not reproduce it, so they just installed some felt tape. I heard it rubbing on the way home. They also were going to charge me $200 for labor since rattles are not covered after a year. I argued this is a known issue, with many people reporting this problem and feel it should be a warranty issue, so they removed the charge.

Not sure what to do next since tape and foam are no longer working for me. One interesting note is that I removed my tape before taking it in, and it didn't make a noise on the trip down to service, and they could not reproduce it. I am going to remove their tape and see if it stops again. I will try the previously mentioned "special closing" technique, but I don't have a lot of hope that's the solution.

Are the 23's having this issue still, or was something corrected with the current production cars to eliminate this issue?

Took it into service, but they could not reproduce it, so they just installed some felt tape. I heard it rubbing on the way home. They also were going to charge me $200 for labor since rattles are not covered after a year. I argued this is a known issue, with many people reporting this problem and feel it should be a warranty issue, so they removed the charge.

Not sure what to do next since tape and foam are no longer working for me. One interesting note is that I removed my tape before taking it in, and it didn't make a noise on the trip down to service, and they could not reproduce it. I am going to remove their tape and see if it stops again. I will try the previously mentioned "special closing" technique, but I don't have a lot of hope that's the solution.

Are the 23's having this issue still, or was something corrected with the current production cars to eliminate this issue?
I’ve actually had success with closing very gently, pushing just until latch engages. I also took off all the tape except one layer so it’s easier to close without slamming.

Reactions: CTDW
After too many repairs to count, to include this absurd rear seat back rattle, and over 60 days out of service since late-December 2021, one of our 2022 MS’s will Lemon Lawed back to Tesla, hopefully next month.

Tesla’s MS build quality is abysmal and often pathetic, and service often just compounds the problems. FEEDBACK TO FREMONT appears to be non-existent so they keep building repeat issues into every MS all for service to try to fix after-the-fact…as if they aren’t already swamped with work already.

How so many people can be so stupid is hard to understand, but Tesla seems off the rails at times. It’s depressing.

After too many repairs to count, to include this absurd rear seat back rattle, and over 60 days out of service since late-December 2021, one of our 2022 MS’s will Lemon Lawed back to Tesla, hopefully next month.

Tesla’s MS build quality is abysmal and often pathetic, and service often just compounds the problems. FEEDBACK TO FREMONT appears to be non-existent so they keep building repeat issues into every MS all for service to try to fix after-the-fact…as if they aren’t already swamped with work already.

How so many people can be so stupid is hard to understand, but Tesla seems off the rails at times. It’s depressing.
I live in Texas - I also agree, build quality on a 110k car is horrible. I have taken my car in for a rear seat rattle 3 or 4 times. They changed the air suspension and then replaced the rear seats - it still happens but I have wasted so much time I’m fed up.

How are you going. About getting it lemon lawed? How would you get this process started?

I live in Texas - I also agree, build quality on a 110k car is horrible. I have taken my car in for a rear seat rattle 3 or 4 times. They changed the air suspension and then replaced the rear seats - it still happens but I have wasted so much time I’m fed up.

How are you going. About getting it lemon lawed? How would you get this process started?
Just Google "Lemon Law [your state]"

Note that many links will just be for referral sites to get you a lawyer. You're better off starting with just reading your state's lemon law requirements first, usually at the AG's website. Then proceed as needed.

If you decide to engage legal help, be sure to check their Yelp and Avro reviews first.

Just Google "Lemon Law [your state]"

Note that many links will just be for referral sites to get you a lawyer. You're better off starting with just reading your state's lemon law requirements first, usually at the AG's website. Then proceed as needed.

If you decide to engage legal help, be sure to check their Yelp and Avro reviews first.

I will check into it.

As of writing this , my mobile connector has also stopped working. Worst quality control I have ever seen.....